Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #1

Rooftop AC Rattle?

We took our 2017 Hummingbird out Saturday for it's first trip. Eventhough it is a 2017 it was brand new from the dealer. Does the AC have two different fans, one inside and one out? I ask this because the inside fan that runs constantly does not have a rattle, but when the compressor kicks in you can hear a mild rattle. When the compressor shut off as it slows down to a stop it sounds like a fan blade bumping something. There was a couple times I didn't hear it, but then it came back. The unit cools perfectly fine.
mtbbrewer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #2

If I put this in the wrong place, I'm sorry about that. Please move if necessary.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #3

A friend of mine had a similar situation. Brand new camper and an annoying “rattle” when the AC compressor kicked on. His was the blower fan slightly tapping against the insulation inside the AC unit. We took the inside cover off and looked up in there and saw it rubbing. He reached up inside and pushed the insulation panel slightly away from the blower fan and it stopped. Might be worth a look.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
A friend of mine had a similar situation. Brand new camper and an annoying “rattle” when the AC compressor kicked on. His was the blower fan slightly tapping against the insulation inside the AC unit. We took the inside cover off and looked up in there and saw it rubbing. He reached up inside and pushed the insulation panel slightly away from the blower fan and it stopped. Might be worth a look.
I will admit I am not 100% sure how the RV AC is designed, but the inside fan runs all the time without any abnormal noises. Was his problem with the inside fan or outside fan?
Old 09-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #5

So just for a little more info. I haven't had a chance to get on a ladder yet to check to roof fans, but the unit I have is the Low Profile Coleman Mach 8 Model No. 47253A876.
The non squirrel cage fan actually blows straight out the top.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #6

His was the squirrel fan inside. I think something to do with the compressor kicking on adding more load\vibration to the unit caused the foam to shift? Heck I’m no expert by any stretch, we just followed noise to the source lol
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #7

Took the camper back to where we bought it to get the LED awning lights fixed, and while I was there I mentioned the AC noise. They looked at it and said it was coming apart on the outside. I think he ment the fan blade was breaking. This particular model unit (coleman mach 8) had a history of this problem, and there is a fix for it. There is a kit that has a new blade that is not as brittle, and some other parts. I guess the tech is not awhere of this and said I needed a new AC. The AC was still cooling last time we used it, so I wouldn't think there was that much damage to the unit. Either way I just want it fixed. The camper is a brand new 2017, and it is abviously under warranty. The part that sucks is they actually have a brand new unit in stock, but can't put it on. They have to go through the warranty process. I called Jayco and they said it has to go through Coleman. So now I wait. I have owned the camper for a whole month, and used it once.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
mtbbrewer74: be sure the fan is not hitting the condenser with can create a leak.
Warranty doesn't cover neglect, which is you are aware of the noise and should not operate the equipment.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
mtbbrewer74: be sure the fan is not hitting the condenser with can create a leak.
Warranty doesn't cover neglect, which is you are aware of the noise and should not operate the equipment.
They have the camper. I am just waiting on it getting fixed.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #10

Ok so finally got some accurate info from Camping World. Apparently at least one motor isolator ( motor mount) broke. That caused the motor to move around while it was running. They didn't say anything about the blade, so I guess it is ok. They did say that it knocked the cover off the electrical box and allowed wires and capacitor to come out. I assume there was no damage to the wires or capacitor since it was still cooling. They told me the parts were delivered yesterday evening, and they should have it fixed in a day or two.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #11

Got it back today. It sounded good at the service department, so we will give it a good test in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbbrewer74 View Post
We took our 2017 Hummingbird out Saturday for it's first trip. Eventhough it is a 2017 it was brand new from the dealer. Does the AC have two different fans, one inside and one out? I ask this because the inside fan that runs constantly does not have a rattle, but when the compressor kicks in you can hear a mild rattle. When the compressor shut off as it slows down to a stop it sounds like a fan blade bumping something. There was a couple times I didn't hear it, but then it came back. The unit cools perfectly fine.
Ours started doing this last trip. I pulled the cover on the roof and found that the condenser fan start capacitor had broken at the bracket and was laying in the bottom of the A/C unit. Every time the unit turned off it made a rattle noise that sounded like the fan blade was hitting something. I tucked it under the wiring harness so it should be all good now.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
Ours started doing this last trip. I pulled the cover on the roof and found that the condenser fan start capacitor had broken at the bracket and was laying in the bottom of the A/C unit. Every time the unit turned off it made a rattle noise that sounded like the fan blade was hitting something. I tucked it under the wiring harness so it should be all good now.
When you were pulling the cover did you have to get on the roof, or could you reach it from a ladder?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbbrewer74 View Post
When you were pulling the cover did you have to get on the roof, or could you reach it from a ladder?
I sat on the roof.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote