Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

Rookie - 2013 Jay Flight 26BH - Plug in with no batteries?

Howdy,

I just took ownership of our first TT, a 2013 Jay Flight 26BH. This is our first experience with a trailer, and I am coming in as rookie as they come! Super excited, this will be a great way to adventure with the family (towing behind a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew with a Hemi).

Question: I have removed the batteries to charge them. Am I able to plug the trailer in to 120V power with my batteries removed while it is parked? I'd like to have power on to go through it and do some work on it.

Cheers and looking forward to your help while I become a seasoned veteran...or something like that.

Corey (Vancouver, BC)
therealsafetya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:38 PM   #2

Yes you can. Be very careful to insulate the hot lead(the red one) from touching the frame or any ground wire. IE the black one.
phil19409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #3

Thanks Phil, swift reply. I will go tape it off and plug in. Cheers.
therealsafetya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #4

ALso keep in mind the battery is a required item to have installed in the event you tow the trailer on public roads. This is a DOT requirement based on the weight of the trailer in order for the installed battery to operate the trailer electric brakes in the event the trailer becomes totally disconnected from the truck when being towed. This DOT safety feature will use your trailer battery to apply 12VDC power to the trailer electric brakes...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:02 PM   #5

Welcome and congrats
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

This may be a moot statement, but as you said, you are a rookie as they come. Were/are you aware, that by leaving the battery connected, and plugging in to shore power will also charge the battery?

Take care when reconnecting the battery, connecting opposite can blow fuses inline, at the panel and inside at the converter (this is the hardest to change since it requires removal of the fuse/breaker panel).
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:22 AM   #7

Well, with summer winding down here in the Pacific North West, what a great intro to tt camping for us. We got out for two close to home trips (Golden Ears and Cultus Lake, both Provincial Parks and dry camping) and then up to Alice Lake for a few days (Provincial Park) and Riverside in Whistler (full hook ups).

Very pleased with the 26BH. We've tested out everything it has to offer and so far everything has worked perfectly. I've certainly learned a lot about towing, got my WD hitch dialled in and some decent miles in towing (by no means an expert, but gripping the wheel a little less tense now!). People we've met have been great and the forum here has been an amazing resource.

One more trip to go at the end of the month and then putting things away for the winter. Can't wait for Spring!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Welcome to JOF!

A lot of good information here. Since you mentioned that you were dry camping, keep a close eye on your battery voltage as the lowest it should be discharged to is 12VDC. I would also recommend that you add a volt/ohm meter to your camping tools. Also a digital voltage meter that you can plug into your 12 volt accessory outlet, which makes it easier to monitor your battery voltage. Amazon has all kinds of these displays. Do not depend on the LED battery level display that comes with the TT, they are useless.

I would also suggest that you use the TT's battery charging system, as it is designed for deep cycle battery charging. If you are plugged into a house outlet, do not use the TT's AC unit, unless you have the outlet wired properly for 20amp service.

Since you are getting ready for winter, there are a lot of videos on YouTube that walk you through winterizing your TT, and a lot of good info here, just use the search feature.

Again welcome, and keep us informed as to how your camping trips are going

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote