Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2024, 02:28 PM   #1

Rotating FIC brand tongue jack power head.

I've seen all the videos about rotating the power head of a Lippert tongue jack.

I have a 2022 Jay Feather 22rb.

I just checked out my model tongue jack. It's an FIC and does not have the typical side bolts of a Lippert jack. There's a couple Philips head screws but that's it. Also, they're deeply recessed and once unscrewed, I can't get them out, not even with a magnet.

I really need to spin this thing, if at all possible.

Does anyone here have one of these models and have you spun the head to clear your truck's tailgate?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 4.21.37 PM.jpg   Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 4.21.32 PM.jpg   Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 4.21.26 PM.jpg  
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 02:58 PM   #2

The only way I see to do yours is to unbolt from the frame and turn it. Two of the three holes line up but you will have to drill and tap the third hole.
Personally I would buy the lippert and turn the head and sell your fic on market place or something.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 04:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb5900 View Post
The only way I see to do yours is to unbolt from the frame and turn it. Two of the three holes line up but you will have to drill and tap the third hole.
Personally I would buy the lippert and turn the head and sell your fic on market place or something.
My next thought was (like you mentioned) to spin the entire jack. That said, I haven't looked yet to see if all three bolts are equally aligned. If I'm gonna guess, probably not.

We have a very special bike, for my daughter, that we take to the campground. My truck bed needs to be 9 inches longer or I need the tailgate 'down' option. My truck was new last summer and I really wasn't shopping for a longer bed truck, b/c I knew of the 'jack head spin' hack that allows room for the gate to fall, with most campers. Now here I am, actually not falling into the 'easy fix' category.

Maybe I could pop the front wheel up, running it up the back of the cab or reverse that and pop the front up and over the tailgate..maybe a pool noodle as cushioned edge support? Am I wishful thinking or does any of that sound like a feasible idea? I'm not well versed in truck bed loading. Even if I jack the wheel all the way to the side (forward facing load) I still need the 8 or 9 inches. My original measurement was made with the wheel pulled all the way to one side.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 6.01.09 AM.jpg  
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:06 AM   #4

I wouldn’t run with the tailgate down. Not sure you could turn a corner without hitting your trailer with the tailgate.
I would buy quick release nuts for the front wheel and take it off, set it next to the bike so you don’t have to mess with the brake cables.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bike-Axle...2?from=/search

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:21 AM   #5
Site Team

The shorter bed trucks can sure be a challenge for different loading needs, and they seem to be more prevalent than the longer 6.5 ft beds. I found that out four years ago when shopping for a newer truck. We have a Bedslide that requires a 6.5 ft bed, and out of 59 used trucks on the lot, there was only one, and it was only 2WD to boot. We bought it anyway.

So...you may already be aware of this device, and it may be the solution to keeping both your existing jack and truck. The website has options for the style of mounting plates and does have a cord with a quick disconnect for electric jacks although I believe one could be figured out for less money (IMHO).

Here's their website, and even a video on the installation of one, and how it works. One question would be, does the bottom foot on your jack come off?

https://jack-e-up.com/

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
My next thought was (like you mentioned) to spin the entire jack. That said, I haven't looked yet to see if all three bolts are equally aligned. If I'm gonna guess, probably not.

We have a very special bike, for my daughter, that we take to the campground. My truck bed needs to be 9 inches longer or I need the tailgate 'down' option. My truck was new last summer and I really wasn't shopping for a longer bed truck, b/c I knew of the 'jack head spin' hack that allows room for the gate to fall, with most campers. Now here I am, actually not falling into the 'easy fix' category.

Maybe I could pop the front wheel up, running it up the back of the cab or reverse that and pop the front up and over the tailgate..maybe a pool noodle as cushioned edge support? Am I wishful thinking or does any of that sound like a feasible idea? I'm not well versed in truck bed loading. Even if I jack the wheel all the way to the side (forward facing load) I still need the 8 or 9 inches. My original measurement was made with the wheel pulled all the way to one side.

Cool bike.

So, a few possible ideas:
- Remove the tailgate. Very easy but you may need an extra pair of hands.
- Remove the front bike wheel. You should be able to get a quick release axle for the wheel.
- Use a pad and hang the front wheel over the tailgate.

https://www.amazon.ca/ORYX-Pickup-Tailgate-Mountain-Secure/dp/B07W6Z3TL4/ref=asc_df_B07W6Z3TL4/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459277586343&hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=14280992382167608889&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqm t=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001497&hv targid=pla-877216628115&psc=1&mcid=f8769a60badd33f3a791586315 c91100
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:43 AM   #7

Maybe I could pop the front wheel up, running it up the back of the cab or reverse that and pop the front up and over the tailgate..maybe a pool noodle as cushioned edge support? Am I wishful thinking or does any of that sound like a feasible idea? I'm not well versed in truck bed loading. Even if I jack the wheel all the way to the side (forward facing load) I still need the 8 or 9 inches. My original measurement was made with the wheel pulled all the way to one side.[/QUOTE]

Just a thought. You might load the bike in the back of the truck and take it a good welding shop. Explain what you want to do and see what kind of ideas they come up with. That is one heck of a bike (trike)!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:13 AM   #8

all the electric ability of the bike is built into the front wheel with caliper brakes as well. Not sure it'd be that easy, as far as the truck bed hang-out, the bike has a unique frame that makes it impossible to do it.

I considered removing the gate completely and letting the front hang out (bike secured at 4 points before plow handle). Since it'd be centered (bike backed into truck bed) I think the camper would be okay making turns and clearing the bike.

Im just gonna have to take my next day off that doesn't RAIN and see what I can do.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
Just a thought. You might load the bike in the back of the truck and take it a good welding shop. Explain what you want to do and see what kind of ideas they come up with. That is one heck of a bike (trike)![/QUOTE]
This is just what a friend and I were discussing. Having some type of custom aluminum extension the could support the front wheel off the truck bed.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
Just a thought. You might load the bike in the back of the truck and take it a good welding shop. Explain what you want to do and see what kind of ideas they come up with. That is one heck of a bike (trike)![/QUOTE]
This is just what a friend and I were discussing. Having some type of custom aluminum extension the could support the front wheel off the truck bed.

Its a very cool bike! Its a way my daughter can get outdoors and enjoy activity. It was custom built by Worksman Cycles. I think they are the oldest bicycle maker in USA.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Just a thought. You might load the bike in the back of the truck and take it a good welding shop. Explain what you want to do and see what kind of ideas they come up with. That is one heck of a bike (trike)! This is just what a friend and I were discussing. Having some type of custom aluminum extension the could support the front wheel off the truck bed.

Its a very cool bike! Its a way my daughter can get outdoors and enjoy activity. It was custom built by Worksman Cycles. I think they are the oldest bicycle maker in USA.
You just need 8 or 9 inches. Could you get a ramp or something for the front wheel to make it "pop-a-wheelie" in the back of the cab facing forwards? That might give you enough space to close the tailgate with the bike in the bed.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 02:53 PM   #12

Exactly one of my thoughts. Thank you.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:06 PM   #13

Not sure what TV you have but we ha e a tonneau cover and like to travel with some stuff under it so to bring bikes we got a set of over tonneau cover cross bars with bike racks. You might need something a little custom for a trike but it might get you both the trike and some extra space.
Cshenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:17 PM   #14

I have the same jack and have been contemplating same problem. Have designed a conversion plate in my head but havent made it yet. I have seen removable jack plate that mentioned but have read about some movement of jack when using. Two easiest choices I see are buy Lippert or just carry your impact driver and remove 3 bolts and twist jack when you have to lower tailgate with trailer attached.
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2 View Post
I have the same jack and have been contemplating same problem. Have designed a conversion plate in my head but havent made it yet. I have seen removable jack plate that mentioned but have read about some movement of jack when using. Two easiest choices I see are buy Lippert or just carry your impact driver and remove 3 bolts and twist jack when you have to lower tailgate with trailer attached.
I suspect that OP has a different issue, he needs to leave the tailgate down while traveling which I don't think turning the jack will help at all.

I looked at the jack-e and I am not sure I would want to park my camper with that either just because seems it would be able to move to much
Cshenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 02:55 PM   #16

I use a longer hitch bar to clear the tailgate. It's a more expensive option but I think it's worth it. ... doesn't have any effect on towing that I notice.

If you do decide on rotating the jack, I'm guessing the holes will line up. I've never seen one where they weren't 120 degrees apart.

Edit: If it were mine and I could fit the bike with the tailgate down, I would use cargo straps to secure it.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:03 AM   #17

Thanks to all for your contributions and ideas. I'm still thinking about what I'm going to do. I have decided against: towing with gate down...clearance could be issue and damage gate. Getting a new jack (this year) as my husband's head will probably explode

This weekend I'll be checking the bolt pattern to see if rotating the entire unit would be an option.

Removing the gate altogether and strapping bike into bed is my #1. idea right now.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:22 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks to all for your contributions and ideas. I'm still thinking about what I'm going to do. I have decided against: towing with gate down...clearance could be issue and damage gate. Getting a new jack (this year) as my husband's head will probably explode

This weekend I'll be checking the bolt pattern to see if rotating the entire unit would be an option.

Removing the gate altogether and strapping bike into bed is my #1. idea right now.
Does your F150 have the plates and anchors for the Boxlink tiedowns in the bed like these?

https://www.amazon.com/Boxlink-Ancho...f153cc92c00df1

If not, they're easily installed in the recesses already there.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 04-18-2024, 08:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I use a longer hitch bar to clear the tailgate. It's a more expensive option but I think it's worth it. ... doesn't have any effect on towing that I notice.

If you do decide on rotating the jack, I'm guessing the holes will line up. I've never seen one where they weren't 120 degrees apart.

Edit: If it were mine and I could fit the bike with the tailgate down, I would use cargo straps to secure it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshenberger View Post
I suspect that OP has a different issue, he needs to leave the tailgate down while traveling which I don't think turning the jack will help at all.

I looked at the jack-e and I am not sure I would want to park my camper with that either just because seems it would be able to move to much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshenberger View Post
Not sure what TV you have but we ha e a tonneau cover and like to travel with some stuff under it so to bring bikes we got a set of over tonneau cover cross bars with bike racks. You might need something a little custom for a trike but it might get you both the trike and some extra space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Does your F150 have the plates and anchors for the Boxlink tiedowns in the bed like these?

https://www.amazon.com/Boxlink-Ancho...f153cc92c00df1

If not, they're easily installed in the recesses already there.
Nooo. I don't have that anchor system. That option is part of the 'bed package' that my simple F150 XL doesn't have.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:19 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Nooo. I don't have that anchor system. That option is part of the 'bed package' that my simple F150 XL doesn't have.
Oh, that's a bummer. It would've made for an easy tiedown. Our F150 is an XLT, and I wasn't aware the XL needed the option. I learn something every day.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD