Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #1

Route options

What do you think?

Opt1: Detroit- Illinois- Iowa- Nebraska- Colorado

Or a little more south

Opt2: Detroit- Indiana- Illinois- Missouri- Kansas- Colorado

I'm trying to map a route to get out to Colorado as fast as possible. We're traveling with a 6mo and 2yo so we will need to do 3-4 hr max drives with daytime entertainment stop overs, then maybe back on the road for another couple hrs before stopping for the night.

Which route has more options for places to stay that is also easy to cover distances?

Thanks for your help!
chent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #2

How about...
Sarnia, Lansing, Ft. Wayne, Indianapolis, St. Louis, then I-70 west to Denver. Avoids the Windsor/Detroit border crossing and the Chicago area traffic. It's about 200km longer than a shorter route that goes through the Chicago area.

North or south, lots of Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas to cross with little to see except rolling prairie. Also, after you cross the Mississippi River heading west, the number of towns etc. decrease.

If you are driving primarily on the interstates, a copy of 'The Next Exit' could be very helpful. You'll what rest areas, restaurants, motels, etc. are along the route you pick.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
How about...
Sarnia, Lansing, Ft. Wayne, Indianapolis, St. Louis, then I-70 west to Denver. Avoids the Windsor/Detroit border crossing and the Chicago area traffic. It's about 200km longer than a shorter route that goes through the Chicago area.

North or south, lots of Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas to cross with little to see except rolling prairie. Also, after you cross the Mississippi River heading west, the number of towns etc. decrease.

If you are driving primarily on the interstates, a copy of 'The Next Exit' could be very helpful. You'll what rest areas, restaurants, motels, etc. are along the route you pick.
Great advice. Thanks oldmanAZ. I figured that'd be the case with prairie land, just wasn't sure when that starts. I also didn't even think of Sarnia. Thanks for that!!
Old 03-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

You may be surprised how well kids travel, I traveled several times from Boise to Grand Rapids when I was in college, my kids were real young at the time, but with some creative entertainment such as iPads, Leapfrog, Disney movies, etc, they may do better over two long days than spreading it out on too many days, I know each kid differs somewhat but maybe it'll work out for you, good luck

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #5

Thanks flyrotor. We plan on testing that out too.