Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #1

Rubber roof repair?

Hello all,

I was using a cover for my TT and neglected to check underneath after getting some rain here in Phoenix. Long story short, the cover trapped moisture and the elastomeric coating had puckered and blistered in a low lying portion of the roof. With helpful advice from Dicor I scrubbed off the loose area and bought the activator quart and a gallon of new coating. I followed the directions and applied the activator / cleaner, power washed and applied 2 coats, all in 1 day, as their youtube video directed. However, as you can see i have some more blistering - any advice on whether i can scrub those blistered areas off and just apply 2 new spot treatments or is there another process to follow? Also - I no longer use the cover, which was torn anyway... thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
20200314_104810.jpg   20200314_104818.jpg  
3belkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #2

Years ago I bought a brand new Class A motor home, made by a company in Alabama. The first time I washed it, 3 weeks after delivery, I noticed similar "Blisters" completely covering the roof. Some were 12 inches in diameter, with many smaller ones as well. I got no satisfaction from the dealer or the manufacturer. One story was that the adhesive was still curing and it should flatten out in about 6 months. Or just place some plywood on the bumps and they will flatten out!

The manufacturer finally agreed to replace the roof IF I drove back the 2000 miles to their factory. A quick call to an attorney, and he said if they sell it in CA, they have to fix it in CA. I had to get 3 estimates for a roof replacement and the work was finally completed 2 1/2 months later at a cost of $8000.

What you have are air pockets caused by poor manufacturing. The material was improperly glued to the roof. The sun warms up the air under the material causing it to expand making a bubble.

One other suggestion I received was to carefully slit the bubble and insert some new adhesive and then go over it with heavy linoleum floor roller, then covering the slit with EternaBond tape. I didn't think cutting open a brand new roof was such a good idea, even though it might have worked.

Being under a cover and getting exposed to rain should not have caused the "Blistering" you describe. To me it looks very similar to my problem, and that was caused by areas that didn't get the proper amount of adhesive during construction. If your trailer is still under warranty take a bunch of photos and document your problem, then contact Jayco and see what they have to say. If it's out of the Jayco warranty Dicor may be of some help, but if it's a manufacturing defect I would say you might be out of luck.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #3

Rubber roof / paint repair

Thanks for the reply, the rubber roof membrane itself is fine, its just the elastomeric / paint coating that is blistering... I assume there was / is moisture that is causing it, the majority of my re-coated area seems ok, but I will peel off the blisters, allow to dry well in the AZ sunshine and apply additional coats of elastomeric unless anyone disagrees...?
thanks!
3belkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote