Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2018, 06:27 AM   #1

Rusty Frame

Does anyone else having the problem with rust on the frame of their travel trailer? I have a 2018 Jayco 212QB with the frame rusting.
pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:04 AM   #2

They all will rust. No way around it unless you paint it every year.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton View Post
Does anyone else having the problem with rust on the frame of their travel trailer? I have a 2018 Jayco 212QB with the frame rusting.
May have been delivered in winter from Jayco to the dealer and driven over salted roads...I've seen this before on Airstream trailers I looked at. It will also mess with your ground wires and such.

I would do some research online...they make a product you can spray on the frame to stop this, I forgot the name but it must be applied every year or so, Better than painting,

Since it's that new I would call the dealer and complain. You never know but they may have a solution. This is a common problem with trailers and winter delivery.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #4

I also have a rusty frame. I might call Jayco on it. It's within its two year warranty. In the meantime, I picked up a product at Lowe's that I'm going to try on mine. It's a spray that's designed to go onto rust and become a flat black primer surface. After that, you can spray it with a black Rust-Oleum paint if you like. It was around $6 a can and will probably require a few cans to cover my 27 foot long frame from coupler to bumper.

I tried it out on the receiver of my truck and worked out pretty nice. I wire brushed the receiver, leaving some rust intact when I did it. I have no intention of wire brushing 27 ft of my trailer frame though. I'm just going to power wash the daylights out of it and hope that knocks most of the excessive dirt and rust off. The good thing is that the product does require some surface rust to be present in order to work properly.

I'm out camping right now,otherwise, I would provide a picture of the product (and it's name I can't remember).

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #5

There's a lot of rust inhibitors out there. Rust-oleum makes one, Duplicolor, etc. If you're worried about it, I'd call Jayco and ask their advice on how to deal with it since it's still under warranty. Rust needs to be neutralized or sanded off. If you cover it with regular paint, it'll still advance. Remember, this is a common thing on vehicles of all kinds. Cars, trucks and campers get surface rust. Unless you've undercoated it. If you get all the rust removed, you can Rhino line or undercoat the frame if you like but it's not necessary.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

In the jeep community this is a very hot topic, and I have used eastwood rust encapsulator with great success on my 03 TJ.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-bl...over-rust.html