Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #1

Rv antifreeze & black tank Treatment

So we have our first trip in our new camper planned this weekend for Easter weekend for 4 days and 3 nights. The camper is still winterized and I plan on dewinterizing and sanitizing the fresh water tank and lines since this is a new unit Wednesday after work. The weather forecast this weekend has lows in the mid to upper 20s at night so I planned on adding RV antifreeze to my grey tank.

I was curious if I should do the same to the black tank. Is there any issue with adding RV antifreeze and Black tank treatment into the black tank? I do not want any chemical reactions/fumes due to the mixture. Would I be better off leaving out the black tank treatment for this trip or leaving out the RV antifreeze in the black tank? Both tanks will be drained at flushed before we leave the campground Sunday afternoon. I would also add that I do not have an enclosed underbelly.
Psucivil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #2

The thing you want avoid is freezing in encapsulated spaces like water lines or "P" traps. There is not so much an issue with damage as long as the frozen water has room to expand like in a gray or black tank. Having said that, I see no reason you could not mix rv antifreeze and black tank treatment (although the antifreeze is probably not necessary but, whatever). I would not de-winterize the h2o lines if you are expecting freezing temps.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Site Team

The label on RV anti freeze state that it is not toxic. It does not allow the water to freeze but it will turn to slush.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #4

Tanks won't be the problem. I would be worried about the water lines.
Jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #5

I've never had an issue adding septic treatment to a tank with pink anti freeze. If there was off gassing it should go through the roof vent and would likely not be perceptible. I'm in a similar situation as you from a temp stand point. I'm adding pink antifreeze to the tank now to mix with and keep the water that won't drain from freezing. Once I get to the camp sight & use the toilet the first time, I'll add the black tank treatment.

The problem isn't freezing in the tank itself. The issue is the water freezing next to your drain valve and causing it to break. Technically, to do it right in this situation, you should add pink antifreeze directly after the last tank dump. That way it is right next to the drain. Any water you add after that would have to mix.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote