Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #41

My mother passed away 12 weeks ago and my husband is not an avid camper. He would rather sit behind his computer doing computer stuff or with his friends. My daughter is busy with her friends and well, I am left to go camping alone. My husband does go camping but its on his terms. We are heading out next week for the 4th. Then in 2 years I plan to strike out on my own because quite frankly the husband would rather work then retire. So I am retiring and striking it out on my own. If mom was still alive? We would be doing a lot of camping this summer. There is a face book page that is devoted to the single traveler. I am on it getting ready to strike out on my own.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #42

I enjoy camping by myself and try to do a trip or two a year without my wife. A good time to get your thoughts together. But for those guys who don't do it they think your crazy.
sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #43

Camping alone

I drive a small class C and most of my camping has been alone. I’m a woman a little bit older… And I’ve driven from Western New York to Florida and from Western new York to Massachusetts and Maine by myself.
The most time-consuming part is getting in and out and looking when I’m trying to back in but it’s all doable. Felt safe had a great time. I’ve done state parks RV parks and dry camping at Harvest Host‘s. All good!
nadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #44

Sometimes when we go though California my wife or I will go a few days ahead to vest with the kids and friends. So I'll have to do the 450 mile trip with just the dog and he's not much help backing or setting up. We've got a 41' 5th wheel and with the back up camera and getting out of the truck a few times to check the blind spots we do just fine. Also when your camping by yourself you tend to meet more people. Happy camping!
RoninAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #45

I travel alone several times a year. I am married, retired and we are raising a grandchild that is in school. When I get the travel itch, I load up our Class A Alante 26X and hit the road. I take my electric bike to explore my surroundings and always find nice and interesting people wherever I seem to go. I lost my first wife to cancer so I found some independence after her death. I also found that I enjoy being married, so I married an old friend and long time acquaintance, it has been a good thing in my life. She is fairly independent also, so my travel is no problem for her so my life if blessed. I am getting ready to road trip to Texas and Oklahoma, she and a couple of grandkids will fly down and meet me for a week at the beach and then they will fly home and I will continue my road trip on up to Tennessee and Virgina before returning home to California so I am enjoying the best of both worlds with being alone and enjoying family. JH
micp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #46

TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
Just wondering how many of you ever go camping with your trailer alone? I may be faced with that prospect some day. Just wondering if you all hook up and pull alone and get along fine? Or, would you all prefer a motorhome or class B?

Steve
I had a TT for 9years and as I aged I got tired of all the hitching etc by myself, so at 65 I bought a class C,much better for a single older adult
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #47

I have a hybrid and I camp alone some times. Like the quiet time. Only open up one end.
First Time Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #48

Camping alone

I have camped alone in a tent and pop-up tent trailer (when my late husband either decided not to go or I had to visit libraries and archives for my dissertation research). After he died I continued tent camping alone. My current husband and I tent camped until buying our Class C RV and I have taken it alone to attend a two-day training. I am the sole driver of the RV and have no problem towing my car on a tow dolly with my bicycle on the back of the car and kayak on the roof rack (the configuration when I evacuated southeast FL to western TN for Hurricane Irma while my husband stayed home to care for his ailing stepfather).

I've never been worried about camping alone in whatever housing I had. If you are a fearful person, anxiety will get you no matter what activity you participate in. I'm from New Jersey where only the strong survive (LOL) so when I have to, I adopt my New Jersey attitude and no one messes with me. Be confident, assertive, and show no fear or the dog WILL bite. I love that I am comfortable with the freedom to go when and where I want without fear. It's liberating!

Sue
susan34982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:01 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I camp alone often, I enjoy the quiet time. I’ll tell a friend where I’m going and when I plan to be back. I always boondock and look for spots where there’s no one else in sight. I regularly do preventative maintenance on my TV and 5er to head off unexpected issues that could leave me on the side of the road. I carry Good Sam’s towing coverage just in case.
My three daughters insist on knowing where I am. Think being in the middle of knowwhere is good and not so good.
GipsieJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #50

Check out Sisters on the Fly and also Girl Camper. Both are websites and on Facebook. Lots of practical info there plus women's camping events around the US.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsieJohn View Post
My three daughters insist on knowing where I am. Think being in the middle of knowwhere is good and not so good.
I pay $10 a month for a GPS tracker in my travel trailer, which is good for theft and good if your family needs to know where you are.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #52

Just the 2 of us plus 1

We have a 31 ft MH but tow a car. Always just us but we find things to get into. If you’re alone you can do what you want when you want. RV people are for the most part friendly. Wish Jayco would have some get togethers in Indiana if they were so customer friendly.
MoToYel is offline   Reply With Quote