Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2022, 09:21 PM   #1

RV Extention Cords and Rain

As I mentioned on another thread, the wife and I have our first RV on the way soon.
It is a TT recently built but just sitting the last two weeks in a transport lot in Indiana waiting to be delivered to us in Central Fl.
I have most of the essential RV items collected in our garage. I was going through them today. Now we are both retired school teachers with modest pensions, but I purchased most items that were rated high or highly recommended. Especially on safety items.
So you can understand when I was concerned today that every one of my RV extention cords were rated for outdoor use, but all had a statement that said “do not use when wet.” So how do you camp outdoors and not get rained on? Are there waterproof RV extention cords that I somehow missed on my searches? Do you do things like use plastic bags with duct tape to keep them protected? Is that statement legitimate or just to keep the lawyers happy? Any advice or techniques if needed are appreciated.
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:39 PM   #2

Congrats on the new rig and RVing! We’ve camped in our share of rain without any problems. We don’t use an extension cord (although I carry one) but use the power cord directly from the trailer. It plugs into an EMS (something you should add to your list) which plugs into the pedestal. When it looks like rain, I throw a clear plastic bag over the EMS box and tape it closed. Although the EMS has a waterproof cover, I cover it for extra peace of mind. I’ve never had any problem with the power cord in the rain and it has been drenched. If I connected a 30 amp RV extension cord to my TT power cord, I’d probably cover the connection with a bag as well just for extra safety.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Congrats on the new rig and RVing! We’ve camped in our share of rain without any problems. We don’t use an extension cord (although I carry one) but use the power cord directly from the trailer. It plugs into an EMS (something you should add to your list) which plugs into the pedestal. When it looks like rain, I throw a clear plastic bag over the EMS box and tape it closed. Although the EMS has a waterproof cover, I cover it for extra peace of mind. I’ve never had any problem with the power cord in the rain and it has been drenched. If I connected a 30 amp RV extension cord to my TT power cord, I’d probably cover the connection with a bag as well just for extra safety.
I just got my EMS delivered via UPS today.
Thanks, I’ll be prepared for rain with bags and tape then.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:33 AM   #4

I will check on your trailer, I live off the main east west route about 70% of the trailers going weest travel, I will pass it today. Enjoy when you get it
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:00 AM   #5

On the few times where I have needed to use an extension cord, I just pushed the middle connection under the trailer to give it some protection from the driving rain. They do make weatherproof connections but I never felt it was necessary.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:06 AM   #6

I've never had a problem with rain and the cords. Last month, we were at the ocean. Very strong storm came through (reported 50mph+ winds) and never had a hiccup in the power. EMS's are pretty durable and built for the outdoors. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
As I mentioned on another thread, the wife and I have our first RV on the way soon.
It is a TT recently built but just sitting the last two weeks in a transport lot in Indiana waiting to be delivered to us in Central Fl.
I have most of the essential RV items collected in our garage. I was going through them today. Now we are both retired school teachers with modest pensions, but I purchased most items that were rated high or highly recommended. Especially on safety items.
So you can understand when I was concerned today that every one of my RV extention cords were rated for outdoor use, but all had a statement that said “do not use when wet.” So how do you camp outdoors and not get rained on? Are there waterproof RV extention cords that I somehow missed on my searches? Do you do things like use plastic bags with duct tape to keep them protected? Is that statement legitimate or just to keep the lawyers happy? Any advice or techniques if needed are appreciated.

Assume you are talking about an actual 30 AMP RV extension cord, as opposed to 15/20 AMP orange outdoor extension cord.

The RV extension cord is made from the same material as the actual RV cord, so treat the extension same as the RV.

As far as sealing the connection- I do make an effort to keep the connection sealed as best I can. Luckily I have only had to use the extension on rare occasions.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
On the few times where I have needed to use an extension cord, I just pushed the middle connection under the trailer to give it some protection from the driving rain.
x2. No need to seal the connection.

Last summer, on one of the rare occasions I had to use an extension cord to reach the pedestal, we had training thunderstorms that dumped rain on us for 6 hours overnight. Woke up without power and 9" of water in all the sites in our loop. The connection between my unit and the extension cord was completely underwater. I just moved it on top of my bumper while the cord itself remained submerged. When the power came back on 2 days later, all was fine. Most of the flood waters had drained away by that point.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
x2. No need to seal the connection.

Last summer, on one of the rare occasions I had to use an extension cord to reach the pedestal, we had training thunderstorms that dumped rain on us for 6 hours overnight. Woke up without power and 9" of water in all the sites in our loop. The connection between my unit and the extension cord was completely underwater. I just moved it on top of my bumper while the cord itself remained submerged. When the power came back on 2 days later, all was fine. Most of the flood waters had drained away by that point.
someone was looking out for you.
That must have been a very concerning wakeup!
Old 07-08-2022, 09:17 AM   #10

I just lay it on the ground, and a void holes that could accumulate water. Been through a number of rain storms. Hasn't been an issue.

Typically when I use mine, I'm connected to the genny.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I just lay it on the ground, and a void holes that could accumulate water. Been through a number of rain storms. Hasn't been an issue.
Same for us, as well...
OntFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:40 PM   #12

When I need the extension cord, I put the connection to the extension cord on a block of wood or something to elevate it above the ground a bit. Also try to locate it where no one will trip on it.
Jaykol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:17 AM   #13

Quote:
someone was looking out for you.
That must have been a very concerning wakeup!
Don't I know it! It might have been pretty shocking to walk out in the flood if the power had still be on. I was pretty worried while in the water that the power would come back on. The trailer was on a pad a little elevated from the surrounding area, so the water was not up to the rims of the tires, but was over 9" at the fire pit. We went sightseeing that day and by the time we returned after dinner the flood was just puddles here and there, so the danger had passed.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:26 AM   #14

The last time I used an extension cord and there was rain in the forecast, I used my 1 gallon wash bucket and a rock to raise the connection several inches above the ground level and keep the connection dry, and another rock on top of the bucket to keep it from blowing away. Point being, I would make sure that the connection is above any water that may pool up and reach into the connectors. ~CA
Old 07-11-2022, 09:19 PM   #15

I replaced my 5th Wheel plug end with a 50 amp twist lock plug end. I use the water proof boat style cover.

I carry several additional plug ends 15 amp, 30 amp, 50 amp EMS/surge, and a 25 ft extension cord.

I have put a corresponding boat style twist lock on each of these attachments and extension cord.
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:13 AM   #16

Thought: The reason you can have an electrical junction under water and it will still work, and not shock you is because electricity flows to the easiest path. Metal to metal contacts have far less resistance than water. So keep your contacts clean on your rv shore power plug.

I put my connection on top of a tire if I need to use an extension. Just in case....grins.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:19 AM   #17

I went through the trouble of cutting out slits and holes in a coffee can and was MacGyvering it to fit over where my attached cord and extension cord connected before a forecasted rain. My camp neighbour came over and mentioned he always just wrapped it in cellophane food wrap. A few wraps and squeeze the ends tight and it's as good as sealed. Just use scissors when it's time to pack up. Works great. A roll of that takes up way less space than a few coffee cans. At some parks we camp at, the power pole can be over 100 feet away.
Trailblazer800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer800 View Post
I went through the trouble of cutting out slits and holes in a coffee can and was MacGyvering it to fit over where my attached cord and extension cord connected before a forecasted rain. My camp neighbour came over and mentioned he always just wrapped it in cellophane food wrap. A few wraps and squeeze the ends tight and it's as good as sealed. Just use scissors when it's time to pack up. Works great. A roll of that takes up way less space than a few coffee cans. At some parks we camp at, the power pole can be over 100 feet away.
I do the same with the plug connections on my outside Christmas lights, T-junctions etc. Works through the inevitable storms at Christmas. Then I get in trouble with DW for leaving the box of Saran Wrap outside somewhere.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
What is an "EMS box" ?
Old 07-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #20

Quote:
I was compelled to use 3 extention cords to reach TT stored in back yard for purpose of maintaining power and charge battery. Not intended to run A/C. I've covered the connections in plastic bags or similar either taped or tied tight with twine and elevated on blocks, yet, still blew out 2 cords. I've since purchased a single 100ft 12Gauge extension cord which is sufficient length. ~$78 on Amazon. It's remarkably heavy. Ensure you're buying solid copper NOT copper clad wire.