Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #1

RV Friendly GPS

Anyone have a suggestion for an RV friendly GPS, you know, one that shows low bridges, propane restrictions, small roads to avoid, and easily reroutes you away from them? I have used the good sam trip planner, and it shows the hazards, but it will not easily reroute you around them. For example, it showed the propane restriction for the Baltimore tunnels, but did not give me an alternate route to avoid it, and when I dragged the route it wasn't very accurate and started making each drag a new destination so I found that it wasn't very user friendly
thdsalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #2

RV Friendly GPS

I bought a Garmin RV760 LMT. I believe it's supposed to route you based on the size of your camper. You program in the size. I've only used it on one trip so can't speak for how well it does.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

Oops, I actually am looking for software based GPS. Hardware (such as the Garmon mentioned) may be an option but I want to see if there is anything good available for my phone or tablet first.
thdsalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #4

You can also check out Rand McNally website, as it sells GPS for truckers: Truck GPS, truck navigation and routing designed for truckers by Rand McNally
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #5

The one I have heard recommended more than any other is CoPilot. I don't use one personally.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #6

Absolutely do not buy a rand McNally. If you do a search under my name, you will find a very long post giving specifics as to why it's a bad choice. Let me just add something here. My rand McNally is one year old and was totally outdated when I got it. Major interstates not showing. When I docked it recently for updates, it showed there was one so I got ready for a three hour download like I used to do with my Garman. With no exaggeration it was less than five seconds.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #7

Here is the link
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...gps-31444.html
Old 03-29-2016, 09:47 PM   #8

Any RV GPS for iOS or Android?
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #9

Why does everyone need to do everything on their phone? Ok op includes a tablet, but the answer to picking a safe route is to spend an hour or less on google maps or what ever on the night before the trip to pick your best route. If the GPS wants to take you thru a residential area or a bunch of small towns on an obscure highway, don't find that out when you're already trapped. Google maps along with your GPS and a paper map will keep you safe. The other sure way to avoid tight hairpin turns and tunnels, is to check the web site of the CG you are heading to. They will almost always give you the recommended way to approach the CG from all directions. I was shocked the first couple times I did that and discovered how often GPS will route you the most difficult ways.

Don't try to throw this off to any magical GPS without also doing your home work.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:09 AM   #10

I believe it is the Rand-McNally RV GPS software that is also available for phone/tablet use. Same as on the GPS they sell to RV'ers. I downloaded it several years ago to give it a trial run. Liked what Garmin had done better, so went with their RV GPS. But the software on a phone/tablet is fully functional, so one doesn't need the dedicated GPS (although it should be more accurate).

Note that software that includes propane restrictions is pretty rare.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Why does everyone need to do everything on their phone? Ok op includes a tablet, but the answer to picking a safe route is to spend an hour or less on google maps or what ever on the night before the trip to pick your best route. If the GPS wants to take you thru a residential area or a bunch of small towns on an obscure highway, don't find that out when you're already trapped. Google maps along with your GPS and a paper map will keep you safe.
I generally plan the route on Google Maps and then use the phone GPS - ensuring that it uses the same route - for turn by turn notification.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Why does everyone need to do everything on their phone?

1 - I always have my phone with me. I don't have to worry about lugging another device around.
2 - user interface is typically much better
3 - updates are much more regular and immediate
4 - integration into other apps such as Google maps for traffic updates or Waze.

Hop on board, these one trick pony devices are going the way of the dodo bird. [emoji2]
Old 04-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #13

Why does Jayco come with a GPS that is not intended for Motorhomes.
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #14

Is there any fix for the GPS that comes installed on the 2016 Precept?
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocarp View Post
1 - I always have my phone with me. I don't have to worry about lugging another device around.
2 - user interface is typically much better
3 - updates are much more regular and immediate
4 - integration into other apps such as Google maps for traffic updates or Waze.

Hop on board, these one trick pony devices are going the way of the dodo bird. [emoji2]
#1 Great, on the other hand, my phone is usually near by for emergency use or if family or friend needs to deliver a message to me. I do not care what anybody had for breakfast or what city block they are walking at the time. I don't let my phone control me I use it as needed.

#2 Maybe true if you spend more time with a phone than you do with anyone or anything else. My Garmin is very easy to use and very intuitive.

#3You're kidding right. My Garmin has regular map updates, alerts me to traffic and road issues and also when they are cleared, and it sits right on my dash always ready for me to use it.

#4 Yep and if that sharpens your pencil well congrats. Have never been led astray by my Garmin and with a little home work the night before to allow me to be an intelligent user the next day.

These one trick ponies have and will continue to serve many of us for a long long time. That I phone is so current and so updated, that it only needs to be replaced once a year when that new latest greatest model is released by that bright light company in the sky. To hop on board, I would have to spend hundreds of $$ and sell my sole to the man just to have the latest, shinnyest, thinnest, HDest, best camera, largest screen, and that ever popular socially accepted sexiest smart phone.

PS: My current Garmin has lifetime map updates and twice as many features than I will ever use. The ones I do use work great.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #16

Sorry if some of my sarcasm didn't come though, but my comments were made in good humor. I have no doubt that some folks will continue to love their standalone devices for which are built. For me, I have no interest in keeping up with another device, so my first inclination is to find an app. You're right in that I update to the latest and greatest every year (sometimes more) and probably spend hundreds or thousands more over the lifetime of your device, but I would be doing that anyway. I work in technology and having the latest and greatest is a "perk". Whatever gets you from A to B safely is OK by me.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #17

Phone vs GPS:
Can't talk on phone and get directions from it.
Can't see the "next" turn clearly due to size. (iphone 6 plus)
Usually have satellite signal but not always phone signal.
GPS does not use data.
I'll have both, thank ya, thank ya very much!
Old 04-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneta View Post
Phone vs GPS:
Can't talk on phone and get directions from it.
Can't see the "next" turn clearly due to size. (iphone 6 plus)
Usually have satellite signal but not always phone signal.
GPS does not use data.
I'll have both, thank ya, thank ya very much!
Not all of this is accurate. Not sure what you mean by can't talk on the phone and get directions, but I certainly do that all the time. If you're referring to using data and voice as the same time, that's only true if you're on Verizon or Sprint's older, crappy CDMA network. Using GSM or LTE can do voice and data at the same time. The scenario is possible, but not true all the time.

Screens come in all sizes for both devices, so it's not always the case that screen sizes are bigger on GPS devices.

Some phone apps do not require data or cell service either. Garmin's own app for smart phones does not require data for routing as it has built-in mapping.

Question - If one wants traffic, weather, etc. on a garmin GPS device, the RV 660LMT for example, it says that it can use "Smartphone Link" to give you access to real-time data by using your existing phone's data plan. Is this true for all of their devices? Do all of their devices require this to have live data?

From the site...
Compatible with Smartphone Link App

Smartphone Link3 is a free mobile app that connects your RV 660LMT with your iPhone® or Android™ smartphone. When paired, your RV 660LMT can use your phone’s existing data plan to share information. Smartphone Link also gives you access to Garmin Live Services, useful real-time information such as weather available free and by-subscription. You may purchase premium content — like advanced weather radar data and images from traffic cameras — within the app. When you use Smartphone Link app with RV 660LMT, you can also check in on Foursquare and access more detailed information about the POI, including ratings, price range and hours of service. Download Smartphone Link for Android™ in the Google Play store. Download Smartphone Link for iPhone® at iTunes."

On a side note, I appreciate the comments on both sides of this discussion. I have an older Garmin GPS that I rarely use because I do not find it as intuitive (personal preference) nor does it have any live features. However, this discussion has made me start looking at some of the newer devices. Perhaps I'll grab one to play around with.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #19

Interesting how smartphones have evolved. They pushed lighting speed so you could stream video [movies tv shows etc] and then realized a 4" screen wasn't all that useful to watch movies unless you were being held hostage or stuck in an airport. So the screens got larger and larger about the same time that the tablets were getting smaller and smaller until one day the techies realized that they had phones that were bigger than the tablets. The problem is that the people who make the most popular phones also make tablets so people made their choice and the manufacturers sold fewer overall units. Now IPhone's latest new model has a smaller screen and from the reviews not a lot of got to have new features. But in the end the lemmings will line up to spend hundreds to replace that phone that they ponied up hundreds for just last year. And the cycle continues because apparently there are a whole bunch of lemmings out there.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #20

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Back to GPS