Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
How are hookups required for either of those items, unless you are full timing, if you don't mind me asking.
A lot of the smaller travel trailers have very small gray and black tanks... for a couple of people, that would require dumping every day or two --- just for showering... No, we don't take long showers.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I don't think the term "camping" really involves an RV of any kind regardless of the site size or types of hook-ups involved.

I've never considered having your own bedroom, bathroom, shower, electrical system, big screen TV, refrigerator, kitchen, furnace, air conditioner and internet hook ups to be "camping".

In that case, Camping Sucks!

No, I don't have all of those things... I need a shower though... and since I "camp" long term, very long term... I need occasional internet to handle banking and bill payments, etc.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm550 View Post
Yeah, but not good for those with the smaller travel trailers with very small storage tanks. I'd have to dump mine too often, that would be a nightmare.
Actually that is mostly what the SP's are good for. It's pretty tough to get a big rig into many SP's, or PP's up here in Canada. Many have length restrictions.

We have yet to fill the waste tanks in our X19H, ever, with our longest outing being a 16 day stay in a provincial park (about 3/4 full). You just need to be judicious with water usage, and make a few adjustments.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #44

Quote:
In that case, Camping Sucks!

No, I don't have all of those things... I need a shower though... and since I "camp" long term, very long term... I need occasional internet to handle banking and bill payments, etc.
Okay, if you have to shower in your trailer, that is going to stretch the water usage. I can't stand showering in mine. I mean that both literally and figuratively. I'm 6'3" so I can't stand up. And the water pressure sucks, and the hot water lasts for almost no time with the cost of heating (by LPG) being stupid.

Meanwhile our favorite State and Provincial parks have lovely shower houses with great pressure and unlimited hot water. Or i go for a swim with a bit of enviro friendly camp suds (actually I usually kayak to the middle of the lake and tip out so I don't disturb anyone).
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #45

We do not like the "parking lot/resorts", we LOVE the State Parks in our home state of South Carolina. With the exception of no sewer in the majority of the parks, which by the way is no problem for us, every campsite has electric and water hook ups. Every campground has bath houses with hot showers. We have a Jayco swift flight 195rb, 21 ft and it's just me and the hubby, sometimes our 7 year old granddaughter. We book a weekend excursion every 2 weeks beginning in April, one full week for summer vacation and ending with the last trip of the season over Thanksgiving weekend. There are 47 state parks in SC, you need to come South to really enjoy these!!!!!
Debraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #46

Like so many, I started out with a tent. I did wilderness camping by whitewater kayak (early 1980's), by canoe (early 1960's), and by hiking with a pack on my back (1970's to early 1990's). I even went sufficiently minimal that I used a bivvy sack instead of a tent for a couple of summers. I put an air mattress in the back of my '80 Toyota 4x4 and camped wherever evening caught me (see my avatar photo). I carried a blue tarp to clamp over the box if the weather got inclement during the night (rare in Colorado - most rain is of the afternoon thunderstorm variety). For most of those trips a "dump station" was a cat hole I dug a ways off in the woods, then filled in when finished with my business.

My parents bought our first TT in 1964 and I camped with them off and on for a couple of summers until I was on my own. I didn't buy my first camper (Forest River popup) until 2 years ago. It took only one summer to know that if I was going to encumber myself with a trailer, I wanted something that wasn't as much trouble to set up and take down, so last fall we bought our Jay Feather, and this year we start camping in that, not later than May, but probably locally in April.

For the most part, we will avoid RV parks, for the same reason as the OP - might as well be in a Walmart parking lot for all the ambience and privacy they offer. We are forest campers and that's mostly what we have the camper for. Hookups will be rare, so we will mostly be using the campground facilities for our toilet needs - I've used outhouses since I was big enough not to fall through the hole, so that's no hardship. We can be very frugal with water and power - lack of hookups isn't an issue with us for the way we usually camp.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debraj View Post
We do not like the "parking lot/resorts", we LOVE the State Parks in our home state of South Carolina. With the exception of no sewer in the majority of the parks, which by the way is no problem for us, every campsite has electric and water hook ups. Every campground has bath houses with hot showers. We have a Jayco swift flight 195rb, 21 ft and it's just me and the hubby, sometimes our 7 year old granddaughter. We book a weekend excursion every 2 weeks beginning in April, one full week for summer vacation and ending with the last trip of the season over Thanksgiving weekend. There are 47 state parks in SC, you need to come South to really enjoy these!!!!!
SC does have some very nice parks. Georgia does to. We camp in both of them often. Quite a bargain for seniors.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #48

Try this site to pick campgrounds you'll like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronent View Post
Hello all. We are about 2 months into our new trailer (1st trailer ever). Loving it obviously.

In 1.5 months, we have taken the trailer out about 6 times. One thing I am learning, is that I am not a big fan of the "parking lot" type places. Since we are new at this and do not feel "ready" to venture away from full hookups just yet, is it true that 95% of the places with hookups are like parking lots? We are in Nevada and I have found only one place (an hour away) that was incredible, and not at all like a parking lot. The others? Parking lots. Ugh.

My question is this. Is there a website that I have yet to find that only shows non "parking lot" type places? I have been on the Good Sam website and it takes forever to filter through RV "resorts" to see photos and such of each place. I have scoured the internet for places within 3 hours of us. I want to avoid parking lots, and it appears that is not an easy task.

Anyone have any experience getting away from the parking lots and having full hookups?

Thanks for your time.
RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:57 AM   #49

I have found "Google Earth" comes in very handy for seeing if a campground is or is not a "parking lot".
Old 03-01-2017, 07:09 AM   #50

One of the primary reasons that we chose our small Hummingbird is that we wanted to go a step up from our usual tent/truck camping, but still be able to go camp where we've always enjoyed, and that's state parks.

We are very fortunate to have a lot of very nice state parks in the middle TN area. Most all of them have water and electric with decent bath houses and dump stations. We've only been camping three times over the winter so far since we got our TT this past November. The first camping trip was to a KOA in Townsend, TN in the Smoky Mountains over New Years. It wasn't too bad because it wasn't overly crowded, but I could already tell that camping there "on season" would be a much different story. The past two camping trips have been to state parks, as will the one coming up shortly. The nice part about camping in a new winterized TT is we've kind of conditioned ourselves for success for the upcoming "camping season" as others define (our definition is the middle of winter while everyone else is at home ).

We have been only using the toilet for liquids and flushing with a bottle of water. We don't mind using the bath houses for showers and the serious business, so state parks are right where we like to be. We're the family out cooking every meal over the fire pit or on top of the picnic table with the Coleman stove while the convection oven/microwave, TT stovetop and bumper grill have never been used. If we wanted to cook inside we'd stay at home.

We need mountains, woods, creeks, rivers, trails, space and that's pretty much state parks for around this part of the country. Yeah....it may take a few extra leveling blocks at times and a run to the dump station on the way out.....but that's a price we will gladly pay to avoid camping 5' away from a neighbor in the middle of an over glorified cow pasture resort .

One thing we always do is grab a camp site map when we go somewhere new and we walk the entire campground and rate every single site, that way when it comes time to book online we know which sites are the 4 star, 3 star, etc.

It's kind of funny, but since we bought our new 2500HD the most common comment we get from friends is "should've got a bigger camper".....I just grin and think to myself, how on earth am I going to park this big truck in some of those state park sites.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #51

A revision to my earlier remarks, saying KOAs are just not for us:

In my earlier remarks, I mentioned a KOA that we planned to visit, but after seeing it we couldn't see ourselves paying money to be there. I've learned since then that the place is really more of a "stop over" type of campground, that caters to a mix of messy full-timers (not a stereotype or a dig - the ones we saw were messy) and people just stopping off the interstate for a place to sleep.

My wife and I left the kids behind back in December and stayed at the KOA in Williamsburg, VA. We used it as a base for sightseeing. The park was maybe 1/3 full, and we enjoyed it. Having the full sewer hookup was a novelty, and I can't say I didn't enjoy it. We liked the amenities the KOA offered, and they even had some pretty dense woods on-site with a moderately difficult hiking trail. With that said, my suspicion is that I wouldn't have been so happy if the place had been anywhere near full. To me, camping is still an activity that's done without your neighbor on top of you.

My family is staying at the Virginia Beach KOA in June while we're visiting for a soccer tournament my son is playing in. I've been to that one, and while I didn't actually stay overnight, it reminds me of the Williamsburg KOA. Not terrible, but not resembling wilderness. We may also stay at a non-KOA private campground later this month, for another soccer tournament. These tourneys are one of the reasons I liked the idea of getting the camper, and if we have to stay at a parking lot campground, at least it's cheaper than the hotels we've been paying for over the years.

With all of that said, to me "real" camping isn't the KOA experience. I can now see the attraction, but I'd rather be at state or federal parks. It's really all a matter of what you're looking for. My suspicion is that our mix of camping will be 70% state/federal parks and 30% private campgrounds ... with most of those private campground stays being just a place to sleep while our son is in a soccer tourney.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I have found "Google Earth" comes in very handy for seeing if a campground is or is not a "parking lot".
This is an extremely good tip. I've done this before and it saved me some trouble.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #53

X2 for us too.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
A revision to my earlier remarks, saying KOAs are just not for us:

In my earlier remarks, I mentioned a KOA that we planned to visit, but after seeing it we couldn't see ourselves paying money to be there. I've learned since then that the place is really more of a "stop over" type of campground, that caters to a mix of messy full-timers (not a stereotype or a dig - the ones we saw were messy) and people just stopping off the interstate for a place to sleep.

My wife and I left the kids behind back in December and stayed at the KOA in Williamsburg, VA. We used it as a base for sightseeing. The park was maybe 1/3 full, and we enjoyed it. Having the full sewer hookup was a novelty, and I can't say I didn't enjoy it. We liked the amenities the KOA offered, and they even had some pretty dense woods on-site with a moderately difficult hiking trail. With that said, my suspicion is that I wouldn't have been so happy if the place had been anywhere near full. To me, camping is still an activity that's done without your neighbor on top of you.

My family is staying at the Virginia Beach KOA in June while we're visiting for a soccer tournament my son is playing in. I've been to that one, and while I didn't actually stay overnight, it reminds me of the Williamsburg KOA. Not terrible, but not resembling wilderness. We may also stay at a non-KOA private campground later this month, for another soccer tournament. These tourneys are one of the reasons I liked the idea of getting the camper, and if we have to stay at a parking lot campground, at least it's cheaper than the hotels we've been paying for over the years.

With all of that said, to me "real" camping isn't the KOA experience. I can now see the attraction, but I'd rather be at state or federal parks. It's really all a matter of what you're looking for. My suspicion is that our mix of camping will be 70% state/federal parks and 30% private campgrounds ... with most of those private campground stays being just a place to sleep while our son is in a soccer tourney.
I hear what you're saying. KOA's are a great place to stay overnight but campgrounds like those we refer to as "City camping." People who live in the cities tend to be the ones who rent trailers or C class RV's (Not everyone) and stay in the overcrowded, amenity filled campgrounds and love it. If I lived in a large city, I'd probably find some sense of tranquility in this myself.

I'm all about getting out amongst the trees and wilderness. Having a few neighbors is fine as long as I'm not staring into their slide out window. If I can find a campground that at least has water and maybe a dump station nearby with some space to sprawl out, I'm doing just fine!

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #55

Quote:
I know exactly how you feel... I bought my TT in Indiana and then camped in it three times at Illinois parks around Rend Lake. They have a variety of spaces, some with full hookups. First I tried Electric & Water only to save a few dollars... after that, I won't stay without full-hookups -- because I have a small trailer and I'd have to dump it every day or two -- even if I didn't use the toilet. Now, I'm in Nevada and wasn't aware but should have known about the 'parking lot' style "RV Parks"...

The only thing is that in the State Parks, a lot of times you have to reserve and you usually can't just extend your stay on a whim... I don't like to plan every moment of a trip.

Anyway, I have tried several of the parking lot styles in Las Vegas... I'm getting more used to them but it sure was nice having space, trees, and some privacy.
How small are your tanks?

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #56

We buy travel trailers for different reasons. My reason is use it as a motel. I'm in the shooting sports, and camp on ranges for competitions. Also, I spent years snowbirding from FL to AZ.

Another way I use it is to take the grandson camping at places that are entertaining to him, like the Yogi Bear parks, so he can play with other kids.

My home is an old remote hunting camp, a log cabin, that I bought in '95. I have three sides government forestland. I'm off a two-track and back in the woods. On my west, its 9 miles to the next house. I was off grid for years, but now have all. When I go camping, its like going to the big city!

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenelz View Post
We buy travel trailers for different reasons. My reason is use it as a motel. I'm in the shooting sports, and camp on ranges for competitions. Also, I spent years snowbirding from FL to AZ.

Another way I use it is to take the grandson camping at places that are entertaining to him, like the Yogi Bear parks, so he can play with other kids.

My home is an old remote hunting camp, a log cabin, that I bought in '95. I have three sides government forestland. I'm off a two-track and back in the woods. On my west, its 9 miles to the next house. I was off grid for years, but now have all. When I go camping, its like going to the big city!
Very cool! I'm a bit envious. Not to derail this but do you do 3-gun or? I also partake in the 'arts' you speak of.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #58

For some, the campground is the experience. Either for the pool, playground or other amenities. For some it's the alone in the wilderness experience. For some, the RV is just a place to sleep, shower and eat.

Different strokes for different campgrounds.

We use all kinds but are more often staying somewhere because of what's in the area. Museums, restaurants, beaches, even gun ranges or whatever. Seldom does the RV park matter. We're usually out of the park in the morning heading out to something only to return after dark to shower and go to bed. The proximity of the neighbors doesn't matter that much.

State parks have really gotten to be a pain with their inflexible reservation systems and long lead times. I find commercial parks to be a lot more accommodating to a variable schedule.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #59

Same Previous Campground

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Because we typically camp for a few weeks in a place. I'm not dragging a tote or hooking up every few days to fill up with water. At this point in my life, I enjoy the luxury of a nice shower.. I can only go about three days before my gray tank is full. I also enjoy meeting new people, which a fire allows me to do nightly.

Is it possible to boondock and still enjoy my "luxuries" maybe, but, as I said, I'm not hooking up, ,dragging totes hauling water in jugs etc....40 years ago perhaps...today...not a chance

I spent my time in the ""boonies" in my previous life lol
Wags999 I hear ya - you and I must have spent time in the same Southeast Asian campground and have no desire to rough it ever again. I like you run out of grey water capacity in 2 days because of desired lifestyle not because I could not go longer and I do not want to have to hook back up to go to a dump station. Camper is our base to explore not for sitting in a campground at this age. We also have met nice folks after supper in the evening but we go places to explore not to sit and DW and I need to shower when I get back. Navy showers are not what I'm looking for.

IT really is to each his own, that is why there are campgrounds of all shapes and sizes and amenities.

Semper Fi

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #60

The parking lot RV Park is what has been keeping me from agreeing with my wife on Camper Camping. While I grew up in suburbia, we don't live in town but on the out skirts were everyone has 2-10 acre lots because I don't like sitting on top of my neighbor. If I don't like to live that way from day to day why would I want to do that on the weekend? It isn't that I am anti-social, it is just that I need more elbow room. I was a boy scout and spent a decade in the US Army Light Infantry so camping is what can you carry. The wife finally wore me down and we bought a new camper at the RV show even though the old camper had been used about 3 times in the last two years. Last year we didn't even bother opening it up the one time we used it so we wouldn't have to winterize it again. My wife's Aunt and Uncle have a "seasonal" lot that is along a small river. I think the land is owned by a farmer on the Aunt's family who is not related to us. He can't farm the chunk of land because it floods out a couple times a year if there is lots of rain. Which is why I called it "seasonal". The lots are about 3/4 acre and basically they can pack as many RVs in as you can. About the only time it is used is Memorial, 4th of July and Labor Day weekends. We have been given free use of the land as a standing offer over the last few years. We let the Aunt and Uncle store their motorhome at our place since they live in a condo in town and can't keep it there and it can't be left at the "seasonal" lot because of flood risk. While it turns into a parking lot those couple weekends a year it is more of a family get together where everyone gets along and volley ball tournaments break out between the various lots so it is a good time. On hot days everyone just sits around in white plastic chairs in the river which is normally only 2-3' deep and watch the fly fishermen and tubers float by. It really is boon docking.

The more my wife has pushed me to go down here more I finally broke down knowing the kids are getting older and we are running out of time to do this. It is only about 35 miles I think so a short trip to make even if we are the only ones there. I think my wife likes it because it is in a river valley with no cell service or TV reception. My job has changed so I don't have the permanent always on call and oh by the way you are salary employee in IT so the phone never stops ringing role to more of a 9-5 analyst.

My only excuse before was our camper was really too small for the 4 of us without constantly re-configuring to break down the dinette and sofa for more sleeping space but the new one is plenty big. So we will see if we use it more. I guess having more room and seeing what our monthly payment is on it is more motivation to use it where the old camper had been paid off for many years so I would kind of forget about it unless I was cutting the grass in the back yard and had to cut around it.