Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #21

I think the difference is the champion is gravity fed where the Honda’s may have a fuel pump so the cap and hose doesn’t work on all generators.
Maybe someone else knows for sure.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:31 AM   #22

If an extended run tank can't be used with a Champion then that brand would be off my list to consider should my current Honda's crap out.

Of course, if just one crapped out, I'd try the Air Soft start kit for the A/C first.
If it worked as advertised, I wouldn't need a second generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
Yeah they make them for all but the Champion last time I looked. Its not a huge deal to me, or I would T into the fuel line with a boat tank or similar.

Lately we have hookups and only run on the gen about 2 times a year.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortCircuit View Post
You cant use a EMS surge protector with a inverter generator .
just some room for thought ..
Actually you can. Several YouTube videos on how to do it. I run a Champion Dual Fuel inverter and EMS surge protector. Works fine with a minor external mod. We went with an inverter to protect the electronics on board (TV, microware, control boards for furnace, AC, battery chargers, etc).
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefoster View Post
question........didn't think of this til reading this thread. should I use my surge protector, that I use when plugged in at a campground, when I am plugged into my generator? this may be a duh! question. good grief

I have a Champion generator with a 30 watt RV outlet
Yes you need to use your surge protector when plugged in at a campground. Do you know for sure the pedestal is wired correctly, is producing 120 volts-not over or under voltages, or there aren't any other issues with it?

A surge protector is cheap insurance rather than finding out that pedestal has an issue and you find out when you have an issue after you plug in.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #25

On the question of an extended fuel tank for Champion inverters, it's an easy fix. With an extended tank, just sit it on a 5 gallon Lowes or Home Depot bucket. Did that when we had a hurricane blow through last year and had no issues. I have a spare gas cap for my inverter with a hole for the fuel line (hole is slightly oversized with O-ring to give me an air/fuel tight seal. Inverter draws down it's fuel and vacuum in tank plus gravity draws fuel from extended tank.

Right now the tank/cap combo is on loan to a friend traveling to Alaska for a long summer trip. Will see if I can get him to send a photo when he checks in.