Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2020, 07:03 AM   #21

I had RV Flex armor applied to my roof 5 years ago after the original rubber roof membrane starting failing. At 5 years of age the roof manufacturer offered $225.00 as total warranty and only if I used their replacement material. Yeah right. My opinion based on my experience the 10-12 year rubber roof warranty isn't worth the cost of the ink it takes to print it on the warranty statement.

The RV Flex armor was done inside in a controller environment, the entire rig was masked, and everything was removed from the roof. I had them replace my skylight and also the crank up batwing antenna (with a model that did not crank up and leak). The spray on material is a 2 part polymer that heats up during spraying and a second color coat is applied after the first. The overall coating is approx 3/16" thick. It covers ALL caulking joints on the roof so there is absolutely zero caulking required after application.

I am not affiliated with RV Flex armor in any way except a completely satisfied customer and would do it again, but immediately after purchase this time. Why wait for a membrane failure or a leaking caulking joint because a leak will happen.

These pictures were taken just prior to reinstalling all of the roof stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0499.jpg   IMAG0500.jpg   IMAG0501.jpg   IMAG0502.jpg   IMAG0503.jpg  

IMAG0508.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #22

A former coworker had the spray on flex armor done to his 5ver after having some roof issues. He also had the vertical corner wall seams done too, so no more checking caulking there too.

He said if he got a new camper, it would be done before ever having any issues.

I strongly recommend doing a google search for youtube videos on the subject. I like the spray roofs best. The ones I see that are rolled on, they tape off the AC, and roll the new elastomer around the AC and nothing goes under it. If I am going to do it, I would want it done right, and I would pull the AC, and make sure a new seal was installed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #23

I have been looking very hard at roofing, since we like this unit and plan to keep it for a while.

I agree about the spray on vs roll on roof products when it comes to removing things like the A/C units. Def want a fully covered roof, dont want potential leak points under the A/C units.

I have seen the Flexarmor product in person, and was impressed with the quality of the job. We are going to go this way vs roll-on.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #24

Hmmm.

The draw to me to the RV armor product vs the Flex Armor is that I don't have to drive 4 hours and either get a hotel, or drive home and then back again, to get it done.

The AC comments are relevant, however. I suspect if I had replaced the original AC seal a few years ago, I would not be in this position today.

I'm reluctant to ask RV armor or flex armor for their opinions on the subject as they would not be objective answers.

At this point I'm leaning toward flex armor simply because I see user reviews on it that are good, and have yet to see any independent reviews of RV Armor.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #25

got my quotes back. Both are similar in price, but flex armor definitely has the better deal from a confidence standpoint:

"The estimated price to apply our sprayed on RV roof is $4,760 + sales tax. This pricing includes replacing all sewer vent caps, new refrigerator vent base and lid (if it is a roof mounted vent), brand new standard vent lids, installing new vent covers, and replacing all A/C gaskets prior to reinstalling them."

It's a little more expensive than RV armor, and there is travel cost, but I have a lot more faith in this than in just leaving existing fixtures and sealing over them.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #26

It's going to happen.

I have an appointment to drop it off oct. 16, pick up oct 30.

That way I don't have to stick around while they do it... still have a day job!

I am considering whether to get a hotel and work from there, we'll see.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #27

New roof

5 years ago I found a hole in the front corner of the roof that had been there for a while and the wood was rotten around it. We hadn't used the trailer in a year and there were mushrooms in the carpet. Told the insurance company I got a hole in the roof and don't know how it got there. This is a year 2000 22' trailer worth maybe $9000 at the time. State Farm must have valued it higher because they paid $7000 to put a new roof on it. The old roof was a very thin material over bows and the new roof is a plywood walk-able. The extra weight does bow the bathroom wall some though.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #28

I know I'm late to the thread but you can't go wrong with the Flex Armor https://rvroof.com/
Last roof you will ever need and zero maintenance. I have it on my 5th wheel.
I'm also going to put it on my new Redhawk Class C.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
so my 28 foot roof would be around $8,400? (28 * $300). That actually sounds fine... it sounds low vs. what I am expecting?

I was led to believe for a standard roof it might be around $10K for a standard roof?

What am I missing?

Heck, if it's under $9K I'll breathe a real sigh of relief actually.
Mine is a 2020 5th wheel 31 mlok under low branch tore a hole the size of a 50 cent piece getting new roof 25 year guarantee $9300 from rv dealer
Farmboy98922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:43 AM   #30

Quote:
I'm honestly just afraid to open it up and figure out how to re-do the damaged plywood. Also, I don't have a good place to do this type of work, it would be in the street in front of my house, and I can only park it there for a few days at a time per city ordinance, so I'd be on a tight schedule doing it myself...
There are other options available to you for where you can work on it. I have known folks that have taken their coaches over to a friend of a friend's place, parked it in the pasture, and started to work on it. I have heard of people renting barns for short term from others to work in. Lot of RV Storage places offer covered storage, height might be an issue depending on just how tall your unit is.

My last roof replacement was done by myself inside of a warehouse / office building. Single bay, 50ft long and 20 feet wide not including the office. Door was 16 feet tall *opening*. Parking lot in front was "dimensionally challenged" so was able to negotiate a short term price that included electric, water, sewer, and permissions to use the huge dumpster responsibly. $280 / mo for ultimately 3 months. Biggest hassle I had was moving trailer in the middle of the night before the parking lot was polluted with other vehicles. Full Disclosure: Hurricane Harvey was bearing down on Houston, place was already vacant for several months, and had flooded before during Katrina but did not see any water inside. Harvey also allowed me to rent at an additional 2 months that I was able to use to help the area recover.
2005 Prevost Liberty Monterey 45'
1997 Ford F250 SuperCab 351cid Auto 4WD
2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L 6spd Auto
krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy98922 View Post
Mine is a 2020 5th wheel 31 mlok under low branch tore a hole the size of a 50 cent piece getting new roof 25 year guarantee $9300 from rv dealer
Be sure to read the fine print on that 25 year guarantee.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:52 AM   #32

My experience with rubber roof warranties isn't good. My membrane started to deteriorate and fail (leak through the membrane) at 5 years. And yes, it was cleaned, etc. per the manufacturers recommendations every six months. What they offered me under their 10 year warranty? $225 and only if I used their material for the replacement. Totally worthless warranty. I sent Jayco a letter that they should take the rubber roof warranty note out of their literature since the warranty isn't worth the cost of the ink it takes to print it.

My solution was RV Flex Armor. I would have a brand new unit sprayed before I ever started using it. No more rubber for me.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 10-31-2020, 02:38 PM   #33

The deed is done.

Came in under quoted cost and very professional. Only downside is that if anything ever goes wrong it’s a 4 hour drive to a place to repair it... but I’m thinking that’s a remote probability.

I think total price was just under $5800 for the 28 ft roof, including replacing a rotten sheet of plywood. ($300 per piece).

Camping World was going to charge me $7K for another stupid membrane.

I don’t know why anyone would pay someone to put a membrane on when this is available?

I should put in a plug here for rvroof.com, the place in Pasco, WA is run by a great guy by the name of Doug. Highly recommended.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:09 PM   #34

You are in great shape now. No more maintenance ever. Just a wash every now and then.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:21 PM   #35

Still have to check the ac seal each year, but yeah, after that. Zero maintenance.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:44 PM   #36

This option I was looking at, for a 23 foot trailer it was not even a Grand.

https://crazyseal.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQj...caAhvvEALw_wcB
Old 11-02-2020, 05:47 AM   #37

Quote:
The deed is done.

Came in under quoted cost and very professional. Only downside is that if anything ever goes wrong it’s a 4 hour drive to a place to repair it... but I’m thinking that’s a remote probability.

I think total price was just under $5800 for the 28 ft roof, including replacing a rotten sheet of plywood. ($300 per piece).

Camping World was going to charge me $7K for another stupid membrane.

I don’t know why anyone would pay someone to put a membrane on when this is available?

I should put in a plug here for rvroof.com, the place in Pasco, WA is run by a great guy by the name of Doug. Highly recommended.
Congratulations on the new Flex Armor roof. Mine is a little over 5 years old now and it gets wasn't twice a year just to keep the dirt off. No more caulking ever.

A further update to the hurricane/tropical storm we had blow through here 5 days ago, I did get hit by that oak limb that I thought missed my rig. On closer inspection on the left side right by my front a/c I noticed a slight discoloration to the roof right on the radius corner. My nephew went up and looked at it and he said there was a small spot on the a/c shroud that obviously had been hit, but not bad enough to cause a problem and that slight discoloration I spotted from the ground was oak tree bark. The Flex Armor material was hit, but fortunately not too bad, but definitely hard enough that a rubber roof would have had a major tear. Am I glad I had the Flex Armor installed 5 years ago. I was convinced it was the right decision then and I definitely am now.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:58 AM   #38

So do they do the Slide tops as well?
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
If you were going to keep the trailer for a while, I would take the insurance and make up the difference with RV armor or another similar roof applicator.
RV Armor and RV Flex Armor are two different processes. RV Armor is mopped on, RV Flex Armor is sprayed on inside in the controlled environment and is approx 3/16" thick. Complete different processes.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #40

Quote:
I'm not hopeful insurance will pay anything at this point, as it's a leak that damaged the roof over the last year and not a sudden event like a hailstorm.

In any case, looking for advice on best roof. Seems there are several that offer lifetime warranties.

https://rv-armor.com/

https://rvroof.com/

Both seem to be similar. Anyone used these or something else?
I have RV Flex Armor and did it about 5 years ago. I would it to a brand new unit and just consider the cost part of the purchase price.