Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2022, 06:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But a regular tarp will rub if it's windy and mess up the sides. Bought our first
travel trailer in 1977, Ohio winters, and never covered any rig thru 2017. I did have a plastic roof snow rake and would remove the excessive snow if it got too deep. Never had any problems.

I think a tarp tied down properly is better than nothing if it snows.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:43 PM   #22

RVs don't last that long and people don't keep them that long anyway. BY the time the roof has an issue the trailer will have long been sold. Not worth the time or effort.

Our last RV had the roof checked annually and sealed as necessary. It was old school and didn't even have a rubber roof.

Finally it leaked. That was when she was 50 years old. Of course, they made everything better back then.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 08:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Too bad they don’t make a custom cover to let solar panes get some sun! Or maybe they do!?
I was thinking the same thing.
Ever find good one?
Jayco224BHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco224BHW View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
Ever find good one?
I haven’t really been looking for one with the solar panel clear or cutout area. However, I’m in South Florida half the year, so a good cover is one that last me 3 to 4 years!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 03:19 PM   #25

Move south and use it all year.

I covered mine when I lived in Illinois. I also covered my boat. It was partly for aesthetics.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Move south and use it all year.

I covered mine when I lived in Illinois. I also covered my boat. It was partly for aesthetics.
A trailer is intended to live outside. As such, it was designed to survive in the weather.

A boat, OTOH, was NOT designed to withstand the elements. The upholstery in particular does not like extended UV or rain. Would you leave your car windows open in a rain storm, or put it in the garage? After a few years, a covered boat will be worth double what an uncovered boat is worth.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 06:23 PM   #27
CAG

Quote:
A trailer is intended to live outside. As such, it was designed to survive in the weather.
Unless you live in Arizona and then all bets are off.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:35 AM   #28

I don't like leaving a RV sitting outside, but with my last 2 I had no choice. At my age, I don't like the thought of climbing on the top of a 12' high roof and throwing a cover around. 2 previous (pre owned) RV's had lived outdoors for over 10 years and the roof vents, tank vents and a fridge vent had crumbled from sun exposure. Even with replacing those it was more cost effective than buying a cover, and I'd be concerned about the wind destroying one anyhow. Now it's 303 protectant on roof fixtures and a wax job with UV inhibitors in spring and fall.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 10:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post

A boat, OTOH, was NOT designed to withstand the elements. The upholstery in particular does not like extended UV or rain. Would you leave your car windows open in a rain storm, or put it in the garage? After a few years, a covered boat will be worth double what an uncovered boat is worth.
Where I live, nothing survives if left in the sun during the summer. Full timers don’t live here in the summer, but if you store your RV here uncovered it only takes just a few years before your trailer will be permanently changed and not in a good way.

Tags
covering rv