Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #1

RV uncovered all the time

I have a 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 29 BHDS I keep at my recreational property. It's well maintained, roof in good condition and I check seals all the time.
My problem is I worry sick about it being in the rain and soon snow all the time. People say, they are mean to be out side and don't worry about it if seals and roof are good.
My last RV had a metal cover over it and we had a bad, worse in 10 yrs and my cover collapsed on my trailer totaling it. Now I am Leary of getting another on on my new RV. But part of why it happened is because of the horizontal roof I had and excessive wet snow, so some of my fault.
I was going to put my fabric cover on this weekend, but its been raining but will be some what dry this weekend. Not sure If I should put it on with RV wet and we have some light snow coming next week. Not sure when I will have a dry day in the near future.
I do plan to use it during winter, but very limited. Only when temps are not freezing. I blow out my system after each visit in the winter time, but don't want to have to worry about freezing lines while I am there. Lowest it gets in 25 deg over night and warms up above freezing during the day.
Thanks for your time and thoughts
Worried RV owner
Dean
tazzman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:26 AM   #2

I lived in mine for a year and half, so couldn't cover. I see no issues with not covering it if you maintain it.
I wouldn't put a cover on it while it was wet though, you are better off not putting it on.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:31 AM   #3

You will find just as many arguments here for covering as you will against covering a camper. I have always kept my trailers covered through the winters here in New York. I buy quality covers that usually last me anywhere from 6 to about 8 years. I have seen zero negative effects form the cover and the peace of mind it gives me as I plow a foot or more of "Global Warming" from my driveway all around the caper is priceless to me.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:41 AM   #4

I agree Marcm157. And you are correct about piece of mind. I have to decide If I want to put it on a somewhat wet RV this weekend or wait for a dry cold spell.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:55 AM   #5

I live in the wet PNW and cover every year. Most covers are not 100% waterproof but will keep the constant rain mostly off the RV. I sometimes need to go in the RV usually for something we didn't take out before covering. When I unzip the cover to open the door the sides are barley wet even after it's been raining. Yes there's some water on the sides but the cover works as a shield to divert 90% of rain water.
The covers top portion is just about 100% waterproof. It's made of a different material than the sides.
Main thing is to use something on the gutter extensions so you don't cause premature tearing on the cover.
I use ADCO covers and the last one made 5 years and was still in decent shape. When I traded it I left the cover under the bed for the next owner. My current ADCO cover is going on it's 4th winter and I see 4 more easily.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:00 PM   #6

Goducks, I think i got a nice cover. And yes I planned to cover gutter spouts. So, based on what you are saying about not stopping all the water from coming though, that if there is a little moisture on the trailer when I cover it, it should not be an issue?
Thanks
Dean
RVMasking Upgraded Waterproof 600D Top Travel Trailer RV Cover for Rip-Stop Windproof & Anti-UV Camper Cover with 4 Tire Covers & Tongue Jack Cover
Old 11-04-2022, 12:13 PM   #7

In the 29 years we had trailers I only covered the first one. And then only a couple of months. That first winter a bad storm came through with high winds and shredded the cover. Never bought another one again.

The only ill effect I found of not having a cover is some fading of panels exposed to the sun.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:15 PM   #8

I would wait till there' a break in the weather. Like a day when the sun comes out for a few hours to dry things a bit. I've never covered a wet trailer so I can't really say it's good or bad. Thats just what I would do.
But I get where you're coming from.
In reality it's probably not much different since the RV gets somewhat wet anyways.
If I only had a short window of when I could cover it and it was a rainy day I'd still do it since in the long run it's going to protect more. A sunny day down the road will dry out most of the trapped rain water anyways.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzman1961 View Post
I agree Marcm157. And you are correct about piece of mind. I have to decide If I want to put it on a somewhat wet RV this weekend or wait for a dry cold spell.
I would not put it on even slightly wet. I am washing mine tonight when I get home and covering her on Saturday. Sunday its supposed to rain here so I don't want to get caught in your situation.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #10

Never cover either one and they're just fine...snow and all. Most of these RV's are meant to live in and endure weather. Don't cover my car either
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:45 PM   #11

Never have covered in seven years but UV is not a factor.
We usually have snow on it for a few months maybe a foot max We have a roof rake amd know how to use it properly ao it doesnt tear anything
Late to start this year We usually have something by now thst builds to several feet by April We don't typically ( that could change) have a big thaw during the winter
We do have the roof serviced annually

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:13 PM   #12

I’m for covering. Especially in any area that’s very hot, strong sun. As far as water infiltration, I agree you need good maintenance and inspection, having said that I don’t like snow sitting on the roof, I would at least tarp it.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:53 PM   #13

We cover our 16XRB with a breathable fabric car cover and secure it with eight bungeed ropes. It extends about a foot down all around and keeps rain, snow, and debris off the roof. The bungees allow it to blow around without blowing off. We cover the downspouts with pieces of pipe insulation and we use it to cover any knots or hardware in the lines to protect the sides. If snow gets deep or heavy we pull it off with a push broom.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:55 PM   #14

Too bad they don’t make a custom cover to let solar panes get some sun! Or maybe they do!?
Old 11-09-2022, 04:40 PM   #15

Here's one to consider: live in Western NY but plan on going to Florida a couple weeks in January. If I cover now probably will have to uncover with snow and ice on it in Jan. Leave uncovered now?
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2 View Post
Here's one to consider: live in Western NY but plan on going to Florida a couple weeks in January. If I cover now probably will have to uncover with snow and ice on it in Jan. Leave uncovered now?
We are in Maine and leave for Florida at the end of each January.
We have never covered in seven years but last year it took 16 hours to clean the roof of snow and ice. It had about two feet on it and it had a crust
This year we will do our best to keep the snow to a minimum with frequent roof cleaning
i can say cleaning the roof with a ladder whose feet are on ice doesn't give you a feel good vibe.
We use a roof rake but there is always a risk of damaging the rv roof unless you are very careful We have a quarter century long relationship with our roof rake ( not always happy when it starts an avalanche)
The roof of our current RV is more complicated than our first RV. Solar panel and A/C
Whatever you choose make sure your roof is clean
In some states it is the law. We have to drive through one where if ice comes off our vehicle and causes damage to a following one we can be charged with vehicular assault
Old 11-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #17

We have a similar relationship with our roof rake. We can get up to 200" of snow in a season. Plan on carefully removing snow as it comes to avoid ice buildup

Had already covered camper but had to remove because a simple warranty cooktop replacement could not be done by me but had to be done by dealer. Uncovered but will not recover until we return from Florida IF weather permits.
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:31 PM   #18

We have returned even if weather doesn't permit
I have to say if we can see things are good
Particularly PA which curtails commercial
traffic
We have had two excellent silent traffic free drives in PA snows
Wouldnt try that on the Great Plains of course

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 11-09-2022, 05:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2 View Post
Just throw a good tarp on it. This way you can just peal it off if it’s iced up. And if it snows it’ll be easier to clean.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Just throw a good tarp on it. This way you can just peal it off if it’s iced up. And if it snows it’ll be easier to clean.
But a regular tarp will rub if it's windy and mess up the sides. Bought our first
travel trailer in 1977, Ohio winters, and never covered any rig thru 2017. I did have a plastic roof snow rake and would remove the excessive snow if it got too deep. Never had any problems.

Tags
covering rv