Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #21

Typically we do not travel with a full FW tank. I really do not like to travel with a partial tank as the water can really start sloshing, which can cause more stress then a full tank. I have a 3 gallon jug with water in it for any unexpected water needs while traveling. However, we do have one place we go to periodically that has the worst water I have ever tasted, smell, or anything else you can think of. I do not even want it in the water lines. When we go there, I fill up at home and pull with a full tank. We only go there once or twice a year.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #22

I don't pull the extra weight and keep about 1/3 so I can wash and flush when traveling. On board waters for washing dish's, showers, etc. I carry a 3 gallon refillable jug for drinking and if I can't find a machine most stores carry 1gal bottles.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #23

I'm with Edd505, travel with 1/3 tank. Same reason. We have 4- 1 gallon water jugs we fill at home for cooking or drinking. When those are empty we cook & drink using bottled water.

More costly but piece of mind. When hooked up we use a water filter for the CG supply and use it for washing dishes or showers. We never use it for drinking water.

JMO Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #24

Always travel with it full. Have done so with every rig I have owned. We boondock a lot, and we utilize our RVs to their fullest potential; while keeping in mind and living to the standard that it is an RV and we are using it for camping.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:19 AM   #25

We always travel with a full tank, for several reasons.

One is that they told us at the factory that a partially full tank puts a lot of extra "slosh stress" on the tank supports. The other reason is that several times we have arrived at campgrounds where the fresh water was un-availible (once because their pumps were dead due to a power failure). It was great to have plenty of water on hand.

Also we've been forced (by weather) to spend the night in a WalMart parking lot, and we had plenty of water on hand.

We just feel it's better to have the water and not need it, then not have it, and need it.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:26 PM   #26

I can not see carrying another 670+ pounds on my TT. The cargo capacities are already at their limit when loaded. I am sure a lot of others are, as well.

I use an RO system when on shore and bottled water when boondocking for cooking.

But, then again, I take mine to the scales. I am willing to bet there are only a handful here that do the same.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #27

Another reason not to buy any trailer with less than 2500lbs of CCC.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #28

Add me to the side of carrying a full load of fresh water with no problems. Never noticed any difference in fuel mileage with or without. If your tow vehicle is a little challenged then having less weight would probably help.
Rick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #29

We do more dry camping than hook ups and travel frequently with a full fw tank. In some cases, I've been able to do the main portion of the trip empty and then pit stop and fill up ~25km from our destination. I've also hauled our TT up some some pretty challenging, rutted, steep fire road with a full fw tank and no issues at all.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I can not see carrying another 670+ pounds on my TT. The cargo capacities are already at their limit when loaded. I am sure a lot of others are, as well.

I use an RO system when on shore and bottled water when boondocking for cooking.

But, then again, I take mine to the scales. I am willing to bet there are only a handful here that do the same.
I have to say I almost always scale when on any trip camping. Up here in Canada you can usually find a transport scale that is closed and the scales are always on. I do this for peace of mind and also because I am curious what we weigh each time we go out. (I also like the "free" part of the routine.) I have also found that up here in "the great white north" that the scale guys would like to see more RV'S cross the scales as there are too many people with their rigs NOT optomized for towing safety. JMHO. It becomes quite obvious after you have been towing for a while what a correctly set-up rig looks like from a distance.
Happy Camping
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #31

Depends on campground for us. Going 200 miles to Lake Superior north shore (Grand Marais City Park) we travel w/o FW as the site we always reserve has decent water. But going to many Wisconsin state parks we fill up before leaving home, as seems to take a long time to fill at the dump stations where the potable water is & sometimes cannot get in there easily due to others dumping or filling.
Also several times a year I check straps holding FW tank and so far no indication of any issues there.

Larry J
2015 264BHW SLX
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:39 PM   #32

Full freshwater travel

My dealer filled mine before I left the lot. I didnt question him... Is it ok??
2016 Jay Feather 7 18rbm... By the way I'm loving this little trailer, living in it full time while searching for land to build on.
Lil TEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:06 PM   #33
Site Team

When mine was new the dealer filled it up for the pdi. I didn't realize it until I got home.
We don't need to carry water except for a flush or three during a rest stop so that's all I carry.
A full tank of water only adds to the fuel cost especially if you don't need it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #34

We carry enough to flush and wash hands while on the road. We're not boondockers so we don't need the water. Before deciding yes/no, I'd suggest a visit to the CAT Scale with full tanks to see what it does to your weight. Water's pretty heavy and you could be over the 5th's GVWR or over your TV's Rear GAWR.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #35

Water weighs about 83 lbs per 10 gallons. Travel trailers carrying 40 gallons will carry over 330lbs.
I am interested in the sloshing of a partially filled tank. Sounds like either fill it or keep it empty.
coachtcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #36

My tanks are empty during travel. Definitely not lugging an extra 650lbs down the road. During travel, we use the facilities when we refuel or at a rest stop. The only thing I don't like about my F-250 is the 26 gallon fuel tank and @12 mpg towing, the range is only about 220 miles before it's screaming at me to give it some fuel. Even I can go 3.3 hours before I have to pee. Unless I forgot to go at the previous stop.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil TEA View Post
My dealer filled mine before I left the lot. I didnt question him... Is it ok??
2016 Jay Feather 7 18rbm... By the way I'm loving this little trailer, living in it full time while searching for land to build on.
My fresh water tanks are full about 1/2 the time: When headed to a boondocking site FW are full (but my black and grey tanks are empty); leaving a boondocking site FW are close to empty (but my black and grey are close to full).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:22 PM   #38

Since the OP asked this question back in June of 2015, I assume he's made his decision on whether to travel with full tanks or not.

Based on the answers, it appears there is no harm in hauling with FW tanks full. Some claim a better smoother ride, others claim it wastes gasoline pulling that extra weight. Looks like anyone can do either and be happy.

About a page ago, this thread got resurrected for some reason.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #39

I only do it for short distances. I research the nearest potable water to a potential dry camp- fill n travel the 5-10-15 miles full. Have never on a freeway. I'm towing 5K w a half/ton so I'm always worried bout weight.
With all the phone apps these days (Allstays/sanidumps etc) you can always find potable water a few miles from your destination- means driving long distance fully loaded kinda silly.
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote