Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #11

with the new TV I to needed longer chains, Tractor Supply quick links rated at 3000lb. they can handle the entire weight of my TT, ahhhh the beauty of owning a light weight TT

Old 05-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #12

I recognize you don't feel your hooks will fit onto your hitch. However, could it be technique? In other words, on my hitch, I need to hook on the side of the hole, as the hole is not round. What is your tow vehicle, and trailer model?

Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 PM   #13

You need to check your local regulations, too,if you are the law-abiding citizen. Some states do not allow links regardless of capacity IN the safety chain OR on the hitch to latch chains to.
As far as crossing chains, I can't say it's the law... On my jayco, the chains are welded at one common point well behind the ball. TheY cannot physically be crossed. Furthermore, the chains could never support my tongue due to length. The tongue would fall to the ground after it ripped the tongue jack foot off.
I think the chains on most of our trailers would break or be ripped free if out of control. The hope is that you can stop fast enough before inertia forces you out of control and the tail wags the dog.
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eagle View Post
I recognize you don't feel your hooks will fit onto your hitch. However, could it be technique? In other words, on my hitch, I need to hook on the side of the hole, as the hole is not round. What is your tow vehicle, and trailer model?

This. I just noticed the last time a couldn't hook ours up at first either, yet I was doing it all last year no problem ha. Have you tried inserting the hook in a different position?

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #15

[QUOTE=kampfirekid;406038]
...As far as crossing chains, I can't say it's the law... On my jayco, the chains are welded at one common point well behind the ball. TheY cannot physically be crossed...

x2 on my Starcraft. No way to cross chains.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #16

Guys, I've been thinking about this. I would say that if the safety chain hooks won't fit into the factory holes on the hitch receiver, then that receiver may not be designed for the weight/force the trailer will impart. I would caution against creating an adapter to fix the problem, and rather visit your local Jayco service department for input. Engineers size features like holes and hooks for a specific reason, and while there's always margin in any design, I wouldn't use that margin up with a Jerry rig.
Just one engineers opinion....
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #17

DOT requirement for safety chains:

Safety Chains
Safety chains are a requirement and should be crossed under the tongue of the trailer so that the tongue will not drop to the road if it becomes separated from the hitch. Always leave enough slack so you can turn. Never allow the safety chains to drag on the ground and never attach the safety chains to the bumper.

Trailer Classification: Safety Chain Breaking Force-Minimum

Class 1: 2000 lbs (8.9 kN)
Class 2: 3500 lbs (15.6 kN)
Class 3: 5000 lbs (22.2 kN)
Class 4: The strength rating of each length of safety chain or its equivalent and its attachments shall be equal to or exceed in minimum breaking force the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of the trailer.

Rick

ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote