Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2018, 09:19 PM   #1

Sanitizing fresh water

Recently purchased a 2017 jayco 26bh. The water pump has a hose set up for winterizing and I was wondering if I could somehow use that to pump bleach into the tank and lines to sanitize the tanks. If not how are you all getting bleach into your fresh water tanks. The gravity feed to the tanks makes it so water has to go up an incline before it makes it to the tank so not sure how I would get it in that way. Any suggestions for a first time trailer owner?
Modraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:28 PM   #2

You can use the winterize hose but that will not sanitize the water tank, only the water lines. What I do is fill a gallon jug with 10oz of bleach and the rest water and pour it in the fill from the outside, then fill the water tank and let it sit a few hours. Depending on how much your tank holds its usually 1/2oz bleach per gallon.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:30 PM   #3

With a little creativity you can use the antifreeze port and the outside shower to pump water into the FW tank.

On my htt, the outside shower is close the the gravity full port. I remove the shower head, don't loose the small rubber gasket. I then shove the shower hose into the gravity port, open the cold water valve. Then I go inside with a water jug, I usually use my 5 gallon jug, with a strong bleach solution, mixed for the fw tank size. Turn on the pump, and pump the solution into the fw tank. Then I use the hose to top off the tank.

I often use the same setup to refill my fw tank when boondocking. It's much better than spilling all over my feet.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modraus View Post
Recently purchased a 2017 jayco 26bh. The water pump has a hose set up for winterizing and I was wondering if I could somehow use that to pump bleach into the tank and lines to sanitize the tanks. If not how are you all getting bleach into your fresh water tanks. The gravity feed to the tanks makes it so water has to go up an incline before it makes it to the tank so not sure how I would get it in that way. Any suggestions for a first time trailer owner?
Please don't take this wrong not trying to be rude. Did you get a manual with your Jayco? My manual gave me all the steps and what to do and how to sanitize. If not you might can access the manual online. I printed the steps and checked it off as I was doing them. Kept me from forgetting or missing a step. Hope this helps and wish you the best.
T&M_Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:10 AM   #5

You may have the new setup with no gravity fill as I do. I flip the lever to tank fill and put 2 cups of bleach into the hose then connect up to my potable water source and put 15 gallons in but first turn off the hot water tank bypass. I turn on all water spickets on till I smell the bleach then I let it sit for 8 hours. Then I run it out of the system. repeat with white vinegar 2 cups filled into hose it will remove the bleach taste fill 15 gallons of water run it out then refill with water and all is gone.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:35 AM   #6

Isn't it simpler to just pour it down the FW fill? Or do like I do,
and pour it in the water hose, and then run the fresh water via the hose to fill the FW tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
With a little creativity you can use the antifreeze port and the outside shower to pump water into the FW tank.

On my htt, the outside shower is close the the gravity full port. I remove the shower head, don't loose the small rubber gasket. I then shove the shower hose into the gravity port, open the cold water valve. Then I go inside with a water jug, I usually use my 5 gallon jug, with a strong bleach solution, mixed for the fw tank size. Turn on the pump, and pump the solution into the fw tank. Then I use the hose to top off the tank.

I often use the same setup to refill my fw tank when boondocking. It's much better than spilling all over my feet.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&M_Texas View Post
Please don't take this wrong not trying to be rude. Did you get a manual with your Jayco? My manual gave me all the steps and what to do and how to sanitize. If not you might can access the manual online. I printed the steps and checked it off as I was doing them. Kept me from forgetting or missing a step. Hope this helps and wish you the best.
I do have the manual. The problem is when I go to pour bleach in the gravity fill it all spills out because the hose from the gravity fill to the fresh water tank has a slight incline. This is my problem.
Modraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #8

I have only sanitized my FW tank once as we only use CGs with city water. I'm pretty sure there is a check valve in the FW tank pickup tube so you can't force water back thru that tube.

I followed the directions in the manual and dumped bleach (via a funnel and a short section of tube) into the FW gravity fill connection. You can also put that bleach into a garden hose, connect it to the TT then use your house water to force the bleach into the trailer. Sanitizing the FW tank is a lengthy, water consuming process since you are filling the tank twice (sanitize 1st, then rinse). Draining the FW tank via the small drain will take a few hours.

If you don't even intend to use the FW tank, skip sanitizing it and just sanitize your lines using the antifreeze pickup tube.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:06 AM   #9

A dedicated funnel will take care of the spillage problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modraus View Post
I do have the manual. The problem is when I go to pour bleach in the gravity fill it all spills out because the hose from the gravity fill to the fresh water tank has a slight incline. This is my problem.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is online now   Reply With Quote