Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #1

Sanitizing fresh water tank

sterilizing fresh water tank
I just noticed this weekend on a camping trip light yellowish green water coming out of our fresh water tank. Obviously we did not use it because of that. Now I would like to clean and sanitize that fresh water tank and the water lines. What is the proper procedure for doing that ? My TT is a 2017 Jayco Jayflight SLX 264BHW.
Thanks,
Tim
timnsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Here is a good overview video to get you started.

https://youtu.be/E0CsGjobAL0
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #3

I'd also suggest a good water filter. Check out carbon block and carbon wrap filters. I've tried both and have not had any fresh water issues/problems.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #4

I don't drink the water from the fresh water tank. Does it still make sense to use the filter?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I don't drink the water from the fresh water tank. Does it still make sense to use the filter?
I don't know. It depends upon how safe you want to be or how paranoid you are.

We always have our fresh water tank full of filtered water and use it for everything. We always use filters when connected to the campground water. We've never any issues with our fresh water system or strange tastes or odors from campground water. Also our coffee is consistently good.

We've always had plenty of good water available when things went sideways...
- The campground water was so bad other campers said don't use it.
- The campground had no water due to system failure or a major leak.
- We had to boondock and didn't have to go buy water somewhere.

You'll have to decide for yourself.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #6

So far we’ve used only city-hookup for water with a blue Camco in-line filter, not our freshwater tank. We use it for washing and maybe brushing our teeth, but not a lot of drinking, with no problems. But now I’m wondering — should we sanitize the water lines in some way before or after the season? I assume it would be the same process as sanitizing the FW tank.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:00 AM   #7

Yes sanitize every spring and fall. Normally, using a mild bleach water solution in the onboard tank (fill and flush 3 times running every inside faucet). We have camped for years and full timers close to ten years now. We travel with at least a 1/2 tank of proven fresh water, use the blue torpedo filter and change the in house filter every 4 months (full timing it). If your camp site is running brown water you need to report it. Yes, I have ran a double blue torpedo filter system. (cheapest way I found) for the "short stay" campsites.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #8

We don’t use the water for drinking, but think about washing dishes, coffee cups, etc, plus I wouldn’t want to take a shower with water that is not sanitized.
I sanitize fall and spring, even though I use a filter.
Most city water has some chlorine to stabilize the water. If I were on a well, I would add a small amount of chlorine. Once you get stuff growing in your water system, it would be very hard to get it out. You need to stay ahead of it.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #9

I am camping entirely with no hook ups. I do not have access to running water / dump station, where I park the trailer.

Do you have any idea how to sanitize the tanks in such situation? Maybe there is something I just cannot think about.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
I am camping entirely with no hook ups. I do not have access to running water / dump station, where I park the trailer.
You mean you normally camp where there is no running water? You need to sanitize before your trip. 1/4 cup clorox per 15 gallons. Use an appropriate amount for the full tank. 30 gallon tank for example will take 1/2 cup. Note that the bleach (unscented) should be diluted by mixing with water in a jug before pouring it in and then immediately fill the tank. Run water through the faucets, both hot and cold, until you smell the bleach. Let it sit 12 hours or more. Then drain, fill with fresh water. Make sure you run the fresh water through all of the faucets (some do the toilet as well). This is now safe to drink and use but if you still have clorox smell from the taps, you can drain and fill again for the trip (I do).

I use well water (no chlorine from water company) , so I also purify fresh water for use by adding 1 tsp of clorox for each 10 gallons of fresh. I have a 26 gallon system, so I use a bit less than 3 tsp.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #11

Quote:

Do you have any idea how to sanitize the tanks in such situation? Maybe there is something I just cannot think about.

You could fill a couple 5 gallon cans with chlorine treated water and add it to your tanks. You may have a procedure to pump it out of those 5 gallon cans. It may be the same procedure as winterizing you system with antifreeze. Then you drain the system and refill the water tanks.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
You could fill a couple 5 gallon cans with chlorine treated water and add it to your tanks. You may have a procedure to pump it out of those 5 gallon cans. It may be the same procedure as winterizing you system with antifreeze. Then you drain the system and refill the water tanks.
What if the tank had rancid water just above the 10 gallon mark? I wouldn't trust doing that personally. Really, to sanitize the tank should be filled as much as possible. Pull the trailer to a place that has easy water access and get her done!
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Yes sanitize every spring and fall. Normally, using a mild bleach water solution in the onboard tank (fill and flush 3 times running every inside faucet). We have camped for years and full timers close to ten years now. We travel with at least a 1/2 tank of proven fresh water, use the blue torpedo filter and change the in house filter every 4 months (full timing it). If your camp site is running brown water you need to report it. Yes, I have ran a double blue torpedo filter system. (cheapest way I found) for the "short stay" campsites.
So, I’ve had problems just filling my gravity-fill freshwater tank with water. Using a funnel or slow-running hose, the water just pours back out. I checked inside and it looked like the tube going to the tank is horizontal or almost uphill. I finally had success with the Camco tank filler tube attached to the hose and shoved down there. So, I’m wondering, how do I pour a bleach solution down there? Sure don’t want it overflowing back at me. Thanks!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote