Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

Sanitizing solution

2016 Jay Flight: I Was trying to sanitize the freshwater system over the weekend, but the normal mechanism I have used in the past in other TT (namely, a funnel into vinyl tube stuck into gravity water feed), didn't work when I poured the chlorinated water into it. Instead it seemed to "back up" and came back out. I had no problem when using pressurized water through a different hose. Is there some kind of "flap" valve in there?

Thanks

DT
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

Not sure. You can call Jayco with your Vin number and ask.

If your outside shower is close, take the head off, and shove it in or make an adaptor for the FW fill. Then from the inside, use the antifreeze bypass at the pump and suck up the bleach solution and down the gravity fill with easy.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
2016 Jay Flight: I Was trying to sanitize the freshwater system over the weekend, but the normal mechanism I have used in the past in other TT (namely, a funnel into vinyl tube stuck into gravity water feed), didn't work when I poured the chlorinated water into it. Instead it seemed to "back up" and came back out. I had no problem when using pressurized water through a different hose. Is there some kind of "flap" valve in there?

Thanks

DT
The sanitation procedure is in the owners manual. I remember reading through it when the rest of my family was floating in the hot springs, but that was too many beers ago for me to quote the process. Sounded to me like it was almost identical to winterizing, just with a diluted bleach solution. I think they have you pour a huge amount of said solution into the fresh water tank (unlike winterizing) and basically just run it through all the lines. Can't recall off hand if bypassing the hot water heater was mentioned or not.. so in otherwords my post probably doesn't help a whole lot! Anyway this falls under RTFM. I've never tried to pour anything into that tank that didn't have some water pressure going for it, I might run into the same problem in the spring.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #4

I had a similar issue with the Jayco pop up we had. The hose from the gravity fill port to the tank was too long and the water had to be poured in "uphill ". I shortened the hose and it worked much better. Just glad I found it before we tried to use it the first time. When we got the travel trailer that was one of the first things I checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

Well, I just got a longer length of thinner hose and used that to get the sanitizing solution into the tank. Put in the clorox mixture than chased it with water.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

I have a 6" piece of hose remnant with a factory female hose end on one end. I attach my brass 90 fitting to that piece of remnant, attach the city water to the other side of the 90, jam the naked end of the hose remnant 6" deep into the gravity fill (so it doesn't fall out, and so it doesn't "gurgle" back out). Then I pour bleach directly into the other end of the hose, connect it to city water and blast away. This puts the bleach and a full tank of fresh water (using the prescribed amount of bleach for my 80 gallons) into the tank. Then I run the "solution" into the lines using the on-board pump. Let it sit for at least 4 hours (sometimes 24 hours if I can't get back to it) and then drain it all. Then refill with fresh water and rinse everything out.

This process has worked for me. It uses a lot of water in my situation though (I have 80 gallons of fresh capacity).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:26 PM   #7

DaveT- I had the same issue with my 2014 24FBS. The mixture would come back at me when starting to add solution. Looked under the sofa an saw that the fill hose was installed uphill for a bout 16", by Jayco. Took it back to CW under warranty and thev moved the clamp down so it now runs downhill.
I also use a 12" long hose section and insert into the fill hole with a funnel in the hose. Works great.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:48 AM   #8

This is my technique as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I have a 6" piece of hose remnant with a factory female hose end on one end. I attach my brass 90 fitting to that piece of remnant, attach the city water to the other side of the 90, jam the naked end of the hose remnant 6" deep into the gravity fill (so it doesn't fall out, and so it doesn't "gurgle" back out). Then I pour bleach directly into the other end of the hose, connect it to city water and blast away. This puts the bleach and a full tank of fresh water (using the prescribed amount of bleach for my 80 gallons) into the tank. Then I run the "solution" into the lines using the on-board pump. Let it sit for at least 4 hours (sometimes 24 hours if I can't get back to it) and then drain it all. Then refill with fresh water and rinse everything out.

This process has worked for me. It uses a lot of water in my situation though (I have 80 gallons of fresh capacity).
Old 08-31-2016, 10:49 AM   #9

This turned out to be the root cause. Mine is not as pronounced as it sounds like yours was though.