Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #1

Sat/aux/cable ports

Hey guys,
Am I missing something here? I plug my tailgater sat to the sat port of my 2020 jayco eagle ht and no signal, I plug it direct to my receiver, works like a charm. I plug it back to mat sat port outside no signal, I try the aux connection, signal! What gives?
Camp david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #2

You probably did this, but have you changed the source on your TV to the HDMI that has the sat cable connected? Usually HDMI 1.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:16 PM   #3

That’s a good of point, I will try that, I’m using HDMI2 but I can try switching it up. Thanks for the tip. It work just fine on aux however I don’t have a great signal, lots of cutting out and pauses on some channels.
Camp david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #4

Now I have been going through the same problem and I will try that what havnfun had mention. Now we have two receiver one for the bedroom and the other in the living area, the bedroom tv come in great but when we look at the one in the living room it will play for about 15 minutes and it will lose it signal.

I call the dish people and they said that I have to have one cable per tv so I figure the main go to sat on the side of the 5th wheel and the other cable to Aux. It is a never ending battle, I think that most of the rv's have problems.

I'm on the other rv's forum and even the Montana are having the same problem. I want be going back out until in September again but I will try getting both tv again.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:51 PM   #5

Satellite

A couple of ideas. The first is that you do have to have a dedicated cable going from the Dish to each receiver for satellite. The second is that there cannot be any splinters in the line. I suspect there is a splitter hidden somewhere between the auxiliary port on the side of the trailer and the TV.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:57 AM   #6

One other thing that many tend to overlook and that may help.

Sat setups require "power passing" splitters and the ones that Jayco uses are not. So it's not that there can't be ANY splitters, but that they need to be "compatible" with the sat service you have. At least the one that is in line between your main receiver (or power inserter) and the dish itself.

I fixed everything by simply replacing the splitter behind the docking station in my Eagle with a compatible one for my sat service (in my case, DirecTV) and made sure that the coax feed coming from the LR (where my power inserter is located) was connected to the power pass thru port on the new splitter.

Everything works fine.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #7

Being a new trailer I would highly recomend getting one of these locators. Worth their weight in gold to triple check what wire from the outside goes where on the inside. Then use label maker to mark them...at least I did.

https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Con...%2C162&sr=8-14

My 324BHTS had two inputs and one went to bedroom and the other to living room. Although the trailer has an outside TV and one in the bunkhouse, it was not sat wired for those two. Those two were just antenna from the factory.

I added 3 more inputs to my connection area in the back, one for my cell booster, and the other was for my old Direct TV set-up.

I have since upgraded to the newer Direct TV and only need the one input coax from the dish, and I added the proper splitter just inside the rv from the outside connection.

Also pretty common for the coax end to be loose or not fully crimped/connected causing you headaches....so check the connection behind each connection...if that makes sense.
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #8

Okay this is great, do you guys have any pics of your setup, I'm a visual kind of guy, lol?
Old 06-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
Being a new trailer I would highly recomend getting one of these locators. Worth their weight in gold to triple check what wire from the outside goes where on the inside. Then use label maker to mark them...at least I did.

https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Con...%2C162&sr=8-14

My 324BHTS had two inputs and one went to bedroom and the other to living room. Although the trailer has an outside TV and one in the bunkhouse, it was not sat wired for those two. Those two were just antenna from the factory.

I added 3 more inputs to my connection area in the back, one for my cell booster, and the other was for my old Direct TV set-up.

I have since upgraded to the newer Direct TV and only need the one input coax from the dish, and I added the proper splitter just inside the rv from the outside connection.

Also pretty common for the coax end to be loose or not fully crimped/connected causing you headaches....so check the connection behind each connection...if that makes sense.

Wow, this is what I need to get, so have you try it out? How do it work, do it work well?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #10

Oh I love it.

I wanted to upgrade to HD so had to do a little work.

I went with the two wired receivers for living room and bedroom with the central DVR.

While I was at it, I added the Direct TV wireless video bridge. Basically a closed network for only Direct TV wireless recievers. So I put a wireless (C61W) on the outside TV because we unhook it now and then and put on a TV in the middle of our 4 RV camp at the dirt bike park we camp at 95% of the time.

So far works awesome!!!

The negative is the upgraded dish you will need is larger, bulkier, and harder to aim, but mine has been pretty dang easy to aim, and the receiver in the living room doesn't fit in the cabinet, or anywhere else, so its in the glass door cabinet and the door stays propped open about 2" due to the size.

One wire into RV to proper Direct TV splitter. Bedroom wire, living room wire, and wireless bridge wire all connect to that splitter.

Receiver I have as the main is also a power inserter (HR 54) so I did not need and additional power inserter.

I bought my stuff on Amazon, but DTV has recently cracked down and refuses to activate items bought on Amazon FYI.

QUOTE=Big1;762716]Wow, this is what I need to get, so have you try it out? How do it work, do it work well?[/QUOTE]
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
A couple of ideas. The first is that you do have to have a dedicated cable going from the Dish to each receiver for satellite. The second is that there cannot be any splinters in the line. I suspect there is a splitter hidden somewhere between the auxiliary port on the side of the trailer and the TV.

I have two dedicated cable outlet in my King Tailgaters yes, the lady at dish CS said the same as far as the splitter. I bought a tester from HomeDepot the other day so my plan is to find out what is what this week sometime when I go to storage.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
One other thing that many tend to overlook and that may help.

Sat setups require "power passing" splitters and the ones that Jayco uses are not. So it's not that there can't be ANY splitters, but that they need to be "compatible" with the sat service you have. At least the one that is in line between your main receiver (or power inserter) and the dish itself.

I fixed everything by simply replacing the splitter behind the docking station in my Eagle with a compatible one for my sat service (in my case, DirecTV) and made sure that the coax feed coming from the LR (where my power inserter is located) was connected to the power pass thru port on the new splitter.

Everything works fine.

Okay, can you explain what I highlighted, is that outside where your black and grey water valve or is it somewhere deep inside back of the tv? What kind of splitter did you replace it with and do you have any pics?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
Oh I love it.

I wanted to upgrade to HD so had to do a little work.

I went with the two wired receivers for living room and bedroom with the central DVR.

While I was at it, I added the Direct TV wireless video bridge. Basically a closed network for only Direct TV wireless recievers. So I put a wireless (C61W) on the outside TV because we unhook it now and then and put on a TV in the middle of our 4 RV camp at the dirt bike park we camp at 95% of the time.

So far works awesome!!!

The negative is the upgraded dish you will need is larger, bulkier, and harder to aim, but mine has been pretty dang easy to aim, and the receiver in the living room doesn't fit in the cabinet, or anywhere else, so its in the glass door cabinet and the door stays propped open about 2" due to the size.

One wire into RV to proper Direct TV splitter. Bedroom wire, living room wire, and wireless bridge wire all connect to that splitter.

Receiver I have as the main is also a power inserter (HR 54) so I did not need and additional power inserter.

I bought my stuff on Amazon, but DTV has recently cracked down and refuses to activate items bought on Amazon FYI.

QUOTE=Big1;762716]Wow, this is what I need to get, so have you try it out? How do it work, do it work well?
[/QUOTE]

I have Dish Network so it might be different setup than yours.