Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2022, 03:30 PM   #1

Satellite hookup

I have a 2019 jayco Jay flight 174 bunkhouse and on the side where the cable goes in for TV and satellite there's only one outlet it says cable TV / satellite but there's only one outlet there do they both work off the same outlet order at the put in a separate outlet for the satellite will be using a display maker
Idaho54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:49 PM   #2
CAG

Call Jayco with your VIN and ask them to send you the schematic for wiring and coax for your unit. Someone here may already have that for you but likely your are going to need it anyway. If that run has a splitter in it somewhere it will not work for Sat. It will need to be a home run to the TV from the Sat dish.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho54 View Post
I have a 2019 jayco Jay flight 174 bunkhouse and on the side where the cable goes in for TV and satellite there's only one outlet it says cable TV / satellite but there's only one outlet there do they both work off the same outlet order at the put in a separate outlet for the satellite will be using a display maker
Your post is very hard to understand because it's all one run-on sentence with no punctuation. Could you clarify it better? We'd like to help.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 03:56 PM   #4

I have a 2019 jayco Jay flight 174 bunkhouse, I was thinking about hooking up satellite to it but it only has one connection which says cable TV / satellite. I was wondering if anyone has hooked up satellite this way and does and does it work. The dealer I bought it from if they are 98% positive it will not let the satellite come through but Jacob says it should.???
Idaho54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:46 PM   #5
CAG

[QUOTE=Idaho54;1038637]I have a 2019 jayco Jay flight 174 bunkhouse, I was thinking about hooking up satellite to it but it only has one connection which says cable TV / satellite. I was wondering if anyone has hooked up satellite this way and does and does it work. The dealer I bought it from if they are 98% positive it will not let the satellite come through but Jacob says it should.???[/QUOTE

Ask Jayco to send you the schematics for the coax runs as well as electrical. As I said before you need a straight run from the connection that says cable/sat to the sat receiver/TV. If it shows any splitters in that run it will not work.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho54 View Post
I have a 2019 jayco Jay flight 174 bunkhouse, I was thinking about hooking up satellite to it but it only has one connection which says cable TV / satellite. I was wondering if anyone has hooked up satellite this way and does and does it work. The dealer I bought it from if they are 98% positive it will not let the satellite come through but Jacob says it should.???
The dealer is wrong, Jayco is right.

There's nothing complex about the TV/Sattelite connection. Here's how it works. An RV park might offer you a TV, Sattelite, or even an Internet connection. Or, alternatively, you can use your own satellite dish if you have one. The park supplies you with a coax cable where one end comes from their feed. You then attach the other end of this cable to the outside port on your Jayco that is labeled TV/Sattelite. If you have your own dish, you simply attach its coax cable to this port.

Internally, you are simply connecting to another coax cable that runs to the entertainment area in your RV where a TV is usually mounted. Here you will either find the other end of that cable or another coax-type female connector to which that cable is attached.

If it's a TV connection, you then attach it directly to your TV's antenna port. If it's a satellite connection, you attach it to the satellite receiver box and then connect the receiver box to the TV via an RCA or HDMI cable.

Some Jayco RVs have a female coax connector in the entertainment section labeled ANT/CATV. This is a splitter that allows you to choose between the TV antenna mounted on the RV's roof or the coax cable feed that comes from the external TV/Satellite port. In this case, you would select CATV and run it to the satellite receiver box.

If you didn't want that splitter, you could simply remove it. In the back of it, you could remove the coax cable coming from the external TV/Satellite port and attach that cable directly to the TV or satellite receiver box.

I hope this clarifies things. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:22 PM   #7

My .02 cents. We have owned 3 Jaycos. A 33 RLDS---Jayco Bungaloe 40 FER---And now a Jayfeather 27 rl. On all three hooked up our satellite dish to the same connector on the out side of the trailers, sat/cable, did not work. Called a good number of rv places and was told that Jayco puts in splitters that will not allow 12 volts to go thru them to move the insides of the Wingard to find the satellites. So on all three trailers I drilled a hole thru the wall and installed a connector that has 2 male connectors and a plastic box around it with a cover, So the Wingard is set up and I run a rg-6 cable from the wingard dish to the connecter that I put in the side of the trailer. The inside has a rg=6 cable hooked up and run to the Dish receiver, then from the dish reciever there is a hdmi cable runs up to the television. All works like it is supposed to.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
My .02 cents. We have owned 3 Jaycos. A 33 RLDS---Jayco Bungaloe 40 FER---And now a Jayfeather 27 rl. On all three hooked up our satellite dish to the same connector on the out side of the trailers, sat/cable, did not work. Called a good number of rv places and was told that Jayco puts in splitters that will not allow 12 volts to go thru them to move the insides of the Wingard to find the satellites. So on all three trailers I drilled a hole thru the wall and installed a connector that has 2 male connectors and a plastic box around it with a cover, So the Wingard is set up and I run a rg-6 cable from the wingard dish to the connecter that I put in the side of the trailer. The inside has a rg=6 cable hooked up and run to the Dish receiver, then from the dish reciever there is a hdmi cable runs up to the television. All works like it is supposed to.
Jayco often uses a splitter and a switch. The switch allows the roof antenna and the feed from the outside satellite/CATV port to share a single coax output to the TV. If this switch is set to "ANT" it won't work for the satellite. Also, this switch may contain a signal amplifier. The splitter allows the output from the switch to be shared with the bedroom (or other) TV.

A satellite setup does not want to see any switches, amps, or splitters in its way. Any of these might interfere with its operation. So, what you need to do is to remove the outside port coax feed cable from the ANT/CATV switch. You can usually identify this cable by the direction it's coming from or you can simply use trial and error to find this cable. Attach this cable directly to the satellite receiver and it should work. You want a direct cable feed from the outside port to the satellite receiver without any other devices in its way. This is not difficult to do. The switch is easily removable and you'll find the outside cable feed attached to the back of it.

In the RV park where I'm staying, we have high-speed wired internet. I used this procedure to bring the internet feed from the outside satellite/CATV port directly to the modem/router inside.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:50 AM   #9
CAG

What I said in post #2.

You need that schematic before you go rummaging through cable connections.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:15 AM   #10

We just run cables though side window then call Dish with set up! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:42 PM   #11

Thanx for the info but my wingard works like a champ the way I have it set up. So did the other 2 trailers works great also.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote