Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

Satellite Hookup with 2 TV's

Just bought a Jayco 330RLTS and love it already. Wish I knew how to hook up both the bedroom tv to satellite? I have an A & B switch with jumper wire.

My question is can I run 1 line in and get satellite on both tv's? I have 2 boxes ( DTV ). I can get the living room tv to work but cannot get a signal on the bedroom tv. Am I gonna have to have 2 wires ran in from the outside?

Thanks in advance!!

Richard
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #2

The easiest way (that I know of) to have one dish and two receivers is using DirecTV's SWM (single wire module) system. You have one Slimline dish with a SWM LNB. One wire goes into the Jayco via the provided sat input. Inside the trailer you have to have a SWM power inserter, then a SWM splitter. One lead from the SWM splitter goes to your rear receiver/DVR. The other output from the splitter goes to the coax lead that goes to the front of the trailer. I called Jayco and they sent me a wiring diagram for the various coax runs so I would know which one went to the front TV.
Works like a champ.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply!! Where can I find these parts?

1999 F-350 Powerstroke 7.3 crew 4x4 w/ 4.10 gears
Old 06-22-2011, 04:41 AM   #4

One source is http://www.weaknees.com/swm-directv.php. I'm sure there are others. One choice would be to find a DirecTV installer out on the road and see if he would sell you the correct parts.
Using the SWM system you can have both of your TV's working independent of each other with only one dish and one input into the trailer (no new holes to drill).
If your receivers are WholeHome compatible you can turn this option on with DirecTV as soon as you hook everything up. I can record up to 4 programs at the same time (two DVR's) and watch any program on either TV.
Works like a champ.
DirecTV does a pretty good job of keeping all of the details of this setup secret. They want to charge a install fee.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 06-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #5

Thanks again! I have 4 tv's at the house on 1 dish ( slimline ) Only have the 18" on the RV, but used to have it at the house with multiple receivers? I will check with a friend who installs them and see what he may have? See how good a friend he is? LOL

Happy Camping

Richard

Old 06-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

Let me ask if you run your Dish sat into the exterior port and get good reception on your TV? What configuration are you using with the A/B jumper? Booster off? I'll be trying our Dish system this weekend but had lots of trouble with cable hookup in several parks. Don't mean to hijack.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #7

I don't use the broadcast antenna at all. I just use sat tv and the corresponding sat jack in on the back of my Designer. Since I don't use the broadcast in I don't use the booster either.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post
Let me ask if you run your Dish sat into the exterior port and get good reception on your TV? What configuration are you using with the A/B jumper? Booster off? I'll be trying our Dish system this weekend but had lots of trouble with cable hookup in several parks. Don't mean to hijack.
When running satellite unhook the jumper wire from A and use A for your sat connection, but will only work in living room. I just got off the phone with a tech from DTV and he said I would have to run 1 line per sat box or I could used 1 box and watch the same thing on both TV'S

I guess its time to drill into the new camper

Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #9

You don't have to drill another sat in jack for DirecTV if you use their SWM system. You can get a wiring diagram from Jayco on where the already run coax runs.
I hate drilling holes and spent a lot of research on how to have 2 TV's and one coax input.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
You don't have to drill another sat in jack for DirecTV if you use their SWM system. You can get a wiring diagram from Jayco on where the already run coax runs.
I hate drilling holes and spent a lot of research on how to have 2 TV's and one coax input.
Ok I ask him about the SWM and he didn't know anything about it? I will try that first before drilling. Do I just buy 1 switch and thats it? I also emailed the company that the link is on here about it and he said it couldn't be done with a 18" dish and only 1 coax line to camper???

Now I am really lost here??:lightning:

Old 06-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #11

This is the email I received

Correct--you need 2 lines from a dual-LNB to feed 2 receivers.

> So I need to add another input to the outside of trailer?
>

It cannot be done.

> I want to hook up 2 DTV receivers in my camper but I only have 1 input on the
outside of trailer. Can you explain to me how this can be done? I am using a 18"
dish with dual LNB if needed.
>
> thanks
> Richard
>
>
>
> submitted via contact form
> Referring Page:
>

Thanks,

WeaKnees.com

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Thanks,

WeaKnees.com

http://www.weaknees.com

Check out our support forums!

http://www.weaknees.com/forums

Also, don't miss our blog for news, specials

and more! http://www.wkblog.com

Ticket Details

===================

Ticket ID: LCG-293764

Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #12

SWM is a really neat setup - it allows basically allows a single coax from a dish to feed up to 8 tuners. In order to do this - you have to have all compatible equipment - meaning a Dish/LNB that supports SWM, splitters, and a supported receiver.

Now mind you, I have not toyed with the newer Jayco coax with the number wire so I may just be 1/2 right here....Your single wire from the dish would come into the camper and I believe it goes directly to main TV. From there you would install a SWM splitter. One output from the splitter would go to tv#1 and the other would feed back to the coax that goes to tv#2 -- and wallah you configure the tuners and you are in business.

I will tell you that if you are not technical in nature, the new SWM stuff can be confusing and is not as straight forward as the old single LNB stuff. Also the newer dishes that support SWM receive multiple sats and are a little harder to aim.

Do you want to watch both TVs at the same time or just one at a time? I believe you could use it as is with your existing equipment if you just want one at a time.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #13

You can't do it with an 18" dish. I have the Slimline dish, but the SWM system is alive and working in my 5'er with only one RG6 coax coming in from the outside. I have two TV's and 2 DVR's and both are connected via the Whole Home System.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #14

I drew a picture up for another forum the way that I think that the wiring works in the Jayco with the A/B jumper.

If this is the way that it works, you could use the RF output of the satellite hooked up to the B port to route a picture throughout the camper's other TV jacks. I know Dish has dual tuner receivers where one receiver can drive 2 TV's which in this case would work perfectly.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:10 AM   #15

Thanks for the reply's, I am going to add another outside jack so I can get two different channels instead of watching the same on both. It will be pretty easy to do and if I can find the factory looking connection with cover it will look as if it was factory installed.
Attached Thumbnails
1_845_348513_3196068.jpg