Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2021, 03:56 AM   #1

Satellite removal

What's up friends? I want to remove my satellite and replace it with some kind of plate. I wondered if anyone had any advice on what I should use to cover the hole? I was thinking maybe an aluminum play or something and screwing down into the same holes.

The lap sealant around the satellite is starting to separate from the rubber roof. Id rather not have to remove all that old caulk and I never use it anyway. Also the person I bought it from told me it doesn't work very well not to waste my time.
Attached Thumbnails
20210703_091350.jpg   20210703_085506.jpg  
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:30 AM   #2

TV antenna

Sure you want your TV antenna gone?

Way easier to reseal it. Old sealant does not have to be removed. Carefully wipe the old sealant with mineral spirits, don't let it set on the roof membrane, it may harm some roof types, and reseal it with dicor self leveling sealant.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #3

I might end up doing that. Its a weird situation tho. It's got so much sealant on it already lol but The self level is releasing from the rubber roof. There is a coat of roof coating over everything including the caulk. So its pulling up the roof coating making a bubble around the whole thing. If that makes sense.
I might slit the coating all around the edge of the old caulk. Squirt not sag all underneath the old self level that is raising up and more self level on top of that.
Attached Thumbnails
20210703_085500.jpg  
Old 07-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #4

By the looks of what you have, you really need to remove all sealant and start over. At that point decide about removing the antenna.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:06 AM   #5

I've never used the atenna as I always have internet connection for Netflix and what not. My friend has a cheap antenna that sticks next to the window in his condo. But what is the difference between that and the one on top rv? Does it just have better range? Or does it get more channels?
When I bought it the guy told me dont bother that bit works terrible so i never even tried. Kinda curious to see how good itn works before i remove it. Im scard it might get stuck in the up position or something lol
Old 07-06-2021, 04:06 AM   #6

Any recommendations on the best way to cover the antenna hole if I take that route of removal?
Old 07-06-2021, 04:43 AM   #7

Sealant

I really can't see where you have any sealant issues, from your pics it looks normal to me. I do not see any sealant pulling away. It does look like it has had some Dicor added in the past on the side closest to your awning. The Dicor sealant does tend to "pile up" and look ugly, especially after a few layers.

If you really want it gone, probably an aluminum plate cut to size for the exterior. But then you will have a hole inside to deal with also.

My previous experience with the crank up antennas was that they did work, but you had to fiddle with turning them to get a good signal, and remember to crank it down. Probably better than a set of rabbit ears. TV broadcast is line of sight so the higher your antenna the better.

FYI, found this on the web-
https://rollinontv.com/how-to-repair...-education-101
The key to inspecting sealants on your RV is to look closely for any cracks or separation in the old sealant where water could penetrate the surface. To do this properly I recommend getting on your hands and knees for a thorough evaluation of the old sealants. Look closely at the old sealant, and touch the sealant to make sure it is securely adhered to the surfaces. If the old sealant is lifted or separated from the surface of the roof and can easily be removed, go ahead and remove it, otherwise it’s best to leave it alone and seal over top of the old sealant.
Prior to resealing any sealants on the roof, you need to thoroughly clean the old sealant, and the surrounding roof surface so the new sealant can adhere to the surface. I use Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner to initially clean the area, followed by some denatured alcohol on a clean cloth as final preparation.
Note: Do not saturate the roof’s surface with denatured alcohol, and make sure you use the correct sealant for the roof’s surface. Consult your RV owner’s manual or local RV dealer for the proper sealant.
With the area you are sealing clean, and any loose or separated sealant removed, use a standard caulking gun and run a bead of the correct caulk over the area you are resealing. If you are sealing a crack or separation in the old sealant you don’t need to apply as much sealant as you would for a new application. It’s best to apply caulk during dry weather, and warm temperatures help the caulking set-up and adhere to the roof surface sooner. In 50 to 70-degree temperatures the lap sealant will skin over in about 5 minutes and should be waterproof in about 4 hours, so it’s best to make repairs when no rain is in the forecast.
TS3 Hitch
Old 07-06-2021, 05:56 AM   #8

So you see the red arrow. That is a bubble. The extra dicor you see on the awning side is a bubble I patched up when I first got it. I thought water was in there but was just the roof coating pulling up. The blue line over the self level if I push on it with my finger it goes down about an 1/8 inch. Same near the other bubble.
Attached Thumbnails
20210706_074848.jpg   20210706_074942.jpg   20201122_154225.jpg  
Old 07-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #9

Now I see it.

OK, better photos, now I see it.
I believe those photos justify removing it and checking for moisture or a leak.
TS3 Hitch
Old 07-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #10

I sliced the bubble open it was completely dry and looked brand new underneath. So I sealed it back up temp until I figured out what I wanted to do. Now another bubble forming. Needs to be removed n redone for sure.. just debating on removing permanent or not. And if so would aluminum be the best cover plate?
Old 07-06-2021, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
just debating on removing permanent or not. And if so would aluminum be the best cover plate?
That would have an adverse affect of trade or re-sale in my opinion. It doesn't hurt a thing being on the roof.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:39 AM   #12

That's a good point about the resale. I debated I'm removing my full size bunk beds and turning it into an office since I don't use them but ultimately decided against it for resale purposes.

Question can't I just use one of these antennas instead? https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Digit...45671999&psc=1
Old 07-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #13

Quote:

Question can't I just use one of these antennas instead? https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Digit...45671999&psc=1
You can try anything you want...
Old 07-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You can try anything you want...
Thanks for the permission lol
Old 07-07-2021, 07:22 AM   #15

Ok I made up my mind I'm going to remove it and just put an aluminum plate there. Is there a preference between butyl tape or dicor between the plate and roof? I'm out of non sag. But inhave butyl. Then i will put self level over the edges and screws... thanks for the input guys
Old 07-07-2021, 07:29 AM   #16

I would leave it personally. We have a shark fin on our new unit and it is terrible and basically doesn't work. Man, what I wouldn't give to get my old crank up batwing antenna back!!!

You can hit your booster switch and run channel scan. Also, you can add new winegard head / wingman for better signal.

I'd keep it personally.
Roosevelt008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosevelt008 View Post
I would leave it personally. We have a shark fin on our new unit and it is terrible and basically doesn't work. Man, what I wouldn't give to get my old crank up batwing antenna back!!!

You can hit your booster switch and run channel scan. Also, you can add new winegard head / wingman for better signal.

I'd keep it personally.
I hear you. The thing is I dont use it. I have to remove it anyway to clean off all the dicor and reseal it. The dicor is lifting from the roof. The old owner told me it didnt work for crap. To not even bother. But I havent tried it. Also in florida with all the tropical storms and stuff it seems like it would be something that could cause damage flapping around up there.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:33 AM   #18

Anyone have advice on the butyl vs dicor?
Old 07-07-2021, 09:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Anyone have advice on the butyl vs dicor?
Butyl then cover with DICOR or to seal completely get a small roll of ETERNABOND..

https://www.amazon.com/White-Eternab...671411&sr=8-16
Old 07-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #20

Check it out! I was about to order a peice of aluminum for 15 and then would have to cut it and match up and drill holes. This will save me some time for sure. Worth the extra 10$ lol Thiught I'd share in case anyone else was thinking of removing
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210708-142435_Chrome.jpg