Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2018, 08:10 PM   #1

Satellite TV ?

Though we have directv at our home, I think we are leaning towards dish (pay as you go for our trailer. It would also appear that you can also get everything through Dish network (wally receiver and antenna) I guess my question is there a antenna that you like more than others and should i buy the equipment through them, or is there a better option? Oh yeah tripod or not?
Thanks
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #2

This is good because I have being thinking about getting a set up when we travel.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #3

I take my 211k receiver with me. I don't have the Hopper. I've been using a $20 dish I bought off Craigslist and a tripod. Worked well but is a bit of a chore to set up. Bought a Playmaker from Amazon a couple of months ago...I've tried it out in the backyard and seems to do well; haven't tried it in a campground yet. We'll see how the trees, etc. affect it. Not sure if I'll need a tripod for the Playmaker....we'll see how it goes without to start off; I've heard that those don't fold well with the dome attached.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #4

A dish and tripod aren't necessary. Research Dish Tailgater and current receiver. Mine is a 211 but it's old. Not sure what they sell today.
You can get programming that you only pay for it when you are using it. Pretty good deal in my opinion.
When you arrive at a campsite, you can call Dish and give them your address and in 15 minutes they will have you watching the local major networks as well as your regular programming.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:05 AM   #5

David,

We bought a Winegard Pathway X2 and a tripod for our last camper and still have them. The tripod takes a few minutes to set up, but it keeps the antenna off the ground and is maybe a little higher than a dog can aim. With our new Jayco and its rotatable antenna, however, we have less use now for our satellite system. As we discover more and more about our new camper, which opened up a whole new world for us, we figured out that all we had been trying to do in the first place was just get some local news. Had we to do it over again I don't think we would have gone with a satellite.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:09 AM   #6

We use the King Tailgater and two Wally receivers (living area and bedroom). Works fairly well unless you are in a site with a lot of tree canopy. I have 100' of coax for each feed from the dish so I can move it to ideal locations for signal. Tripod is very helpful but not absolutely necessary.
Overall the arrangement with Dish Network works pretty well. Only pay for the months you use it and you can change your "service address" as often as you like so you can get the local channels in each area you are. Just be prepared for a pretty heavy dose of phone calls asking you to pay for service during months you weren't planning on using it. As soon as you don't pay for a month, the sales calls start.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:42 AM   #7

Do any of you guys have any pics of you setup if it not too much trouble?

Old 01-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #8

I sure would not pay for directtv and dish also. I just take a tripod and satellite dish which is available for free after they have been abandoned. Then I just take a receiver from home. Been doing this for 15 years. I like high def, so I even take the big dish with me. Not a problem to set up.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #9

We wanted the option to watch different channels on different TVs in the RV and wanted HD, so we got a Winegard SK-SWM3 Trav’ler and just use our home DirecTV account for the RV. We bring the receivers and remotes with us on trips, rather than buying more for the RV, but that is another option. This has worked well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheMcFarlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMcFarlins View Post
We wanted the option to watch different channels on different TVs in the RV and wanted HD, so we got a Winegard SK-SWM3 Trav’ler and just use our home DirecTV account for the RV. We bring the receivers and remotes with us on trips, rather than buying more for the RV, but that is another option. This has worked well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay, I'm going to check this out.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
When you arrive at a campsite, you can call Dish and give them your address and in 15 minutes they will have you watching the local major networks as well as your regular programming.
Same here. We also have Dish and a King tailgater. Works great. We bungie it on top of the camper with the handle to the top of the ladder. We actually took the camper home from the beach and forgot to take it down. Then a few days later it rode out Irma on to of the camper and never moved. We have extra cable if we should have to move it to the ground or around because of reception.

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #12

ReelCool, I just set mine on the ground, even when we wintered in an Arizona campground, But if theft was a worry I'd do as you do. It's not easy to secure the Tailgater with just the little plastic tab to run a small lock or cable through.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
ReelCool, I just set mine on the ground, even when we wintered in an Arizona campground, But if theft was a worry I'd do as you do. It's not easy to secure the Tailgater with just the little plastic tab to run a small lock or cable through.
I was concerned about theft but we have never had any problems at the beach spot. We are only there mostly on weekends. If I am by myself, then I do not need to set it up. There aren't any trees so it doesn't ever need to be repositioned. My husband was considering the mount for the top of the camper. My idea was the bungie which worked plus it eliminated drilling a hole. I think it sort of looks like a permanent mount so nobody really noticed it when we are not there.

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote