Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #1

screen door questions

We have a 75 pound golden retriever. He is loves camping. He was never left alone when we had the pop up. This year with having the new camper that has AC we wanted to try and go to some small trips within our trips without the dog. Or even all of us going to the pool at the same time would be nice. Magoo is not destructive. I am worried though that if we leave him in the camper he might try and scratch at the door. He cannot stay crated because it makes him very anxious and tries to bite his way out. I am thinking just starting to leave him a few minutes at a time to get him used to it. but how can I protect the screen door???
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
mesuezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #2

Last TT I bought the Camco door screen which worked well. This time around I picked up one from lowes and it's brown painted aluminum with 3 sets of screw holes for various door sizes. Another option is to mount with mirror mounts a sheet of plexiglass on the bottom potion of the screen door on the inside.

Also I had a door screen deadbolt that I mounted to the door frame so she could not get out when the screen door was used.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

we camp with 3 dogs and leave them at times in the TT for a few hours when we go to the pool. I mounted, with velcro, plexi glass on the inside of the screen door.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #4

Last summer, the very first week we owned our brand new Jayco Jay Feather X213 trailer, we made the mistake of leaving our two dogs alone for a few hours. Being unfamiliar with this new containment system (i.e. the trailer) apparently sent our younger dog over the edge. She destroyed every screen on every window and the door as she clawed at them and tried to escape. She also used our brand new bed as a bathroom.

I am sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but if your dog gets so anxious with being crated, then there is a good chance they will do some damage. Here's hoping I'm wrong about this. Good luck!
ABQ Adventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #5

My dog pawed at the screen door the first time we had him out, after being told no he has never done it again. I treat the camper as an extension of the home with all the same rules for him. My biggest problem when I leave him is that he likes to sleep on my pillow! I agree with previous posts, and would leave him for very short periods to get aquatinted and give immediate praise for good behavior. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

Slightly off subject:
Campgrounds get overloaded, electrically speaking, in the summer time. We never leave our dogs in the camper in summer, because the power can go off and the camper can become an oven.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Slightly off subject:
Campgrounds get overloaded, electrically speaking, in the summer time. We never leave our dogs in the camper in summer, because the power can go off and the camper can become an oven.
Agreed, that is always a consideration whether we leave him behind or bring him with.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax_83 View Post
Agreed, that is always a consideration whether we leave him behind or bring him with.
Mostly it would be going to the pool and such. I would not leave him alone for long periods of time but I will keep that in mind thank you!
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
mesuezee is offline   Reply With Quote