Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #1

Seal loose

I have a 15 28BHBE and due to surgery and time, I left the slide open on it since fall. It is parked next to a tree and I needed to get on top and sweep leaves off before retracting the slide. Well, I get up there today and sweep and I see the seal detached and laying on the slide roof. I get down and look at how it is attached at one end it is attached under the "wiper" or sweeper white seal. The black seal is rounded on one end and has two lips on the other side. I push the seal back into place, behind the white "wiper" seal but couldn't find a lip or anything that it attaches to. Sorry I didn't have my phone to take pics. I have been checking inside the camper for water damage and I checked again today. No stains and we in NC have had our share of rain this fall and 3 days last week alone. I did retract the slide today after sweeping the leaves off. I looked on top of the retracted slide and it looked like the seal in question didn't come inside and is pinched between the lip of the slide and the side of the trailer.

Any advice! I'm about to get on YouTube to see if I can learn anything.

Thanks.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #2

Seal laying out of place on top of slide

http://
Old 01-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

Channel end of seal

Top rounded side of seal

Seal at aft end of slide
Old 01-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #4

I have the exact same issue on mine. It is caused because the channel piece is not installed strait and is slightly wider in some places than in others.
I have to get up on a step stool every time I close the slide and put the seal back in the channel, otherwise it would do what yours did and get under the wiper seals.
I am still debating whether to glue it in place somehow or make them take the old channel completely out and replace it. Unfortunately the channel piece is not too easy to get at, with the slide installed.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #5

Thanks Dan. I stil have a year left on warranty work, so I'll prob take it back to the dealer to fix right before the warranty expires, prob this spring before we hit the road hot n heavy.

So, yours isn't leaking either?
Old 01-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
Thanks Dan. I stil have a year left on warranty work, so I'll prob take it back to the dealer to fix right before the warranty expires, prob this spring before we hit the road hot n heavy.

No, I noticed the seal issue before it got under the wiper and now I always make sure the seal is back in the channel before I put the slide all the way out. Also, unless we are camping the slide is always closed so the seal in question is not used.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 01-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post

Here is what I was talking about. In this picture I think you can actually see where the channel is a bit wider in some places.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 01-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #8

@Swinepartner & @DanNJanice

I'll have to take a GOOD hard look at my 2015 Jay Flight slide seal. It was popped out of the channel when my smoke detector fell from the ceiling, onto the top of the slide, and went out through the seal and back in again. The dealer reinstalled the seal, but I haven't given it much of a thought until seeing these.

(BTW: Now I install the smoke detector when we run the slide out and remove it just before running the side back in.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 PM   #9

I've always just used some silicone or appropriate adhesive sealer to make them stay / stick in the track. Easy fix. I think the double wiper is of the "H" type / one piece, so I'm all for making the bulb seal stay opposed to removing the H seal. Just count the staples. If done right, all is well, if not done right, you'll have a whole new set of problems. Just my 2 cents. BTW, my bulb seal originally came loose on one end as well. Hadn't since.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I've always just used some silicone or appropriate adhesive sealer to make them stay / stick in the track. Easy fix. I think the double wiper is of the "H" type / one piece, so I'm all for making the bulb seal stay opposed to removing the H seal. Just count the staples. If done right, all is well, if not done right, you'll have a whole new set of problems. Just my 2 cents. BTW, my bulb seal originally came loose on one end as well. Hadn't since.
The seal looks like the drawing below. Any thoughts on what might be an appropriate adhesive? I am trying to decide if I should use something that really sticks like Liquid Nails, 5200, Epoxy, etc or something like silicon caulk that I might be able to remove if needed.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 01-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #11

I used silicone, just in case, where it could be removed / replaced later if need be.

I'm not 100% sure, but the EK seal like in this picture is similar to what is installed. The picture one accepts a little different bulb seal (bulb snaps over the outside instead of a inner track), but they make one that accepts one like in your drawing, fitting IN the track. Inner and outer wiper plus the track for the bulb seal all in one piece. You can see how it is a little flexible to fit wall thickness. This is one reason I say removing might be more than someone wants to deal with. It's one piece inside and out, at least the main portion of it. They are good, but not easy to remove. You can get them for different wall thicknesses if I remember correctly.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #12

They make a single sided version of that with just the track and wiper for one side. I haven't looked between the wipers to verify, so I could be wrong.