Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2017, 06:08 AM   #1

Seasonal Camping

We are planning to book a seasonal site next year at a Campground we stayed at last week. Any words of wisdom or lessons learned we should know about keeping a travel trailer connected to utilities and sitting like a cottage for the season? Thnx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rico1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico1971 View Post
We are planning to book a seasonal site next year at a Campground we stayed at last week. Any words of wisdom or lessons learned we should know about keeping a travel trailer connected to utilities and sitting like a cottage for the season? Thnx.

Thanks for the post... I'll be following along as well. With 3 young kids, we find the packing, setting up and tear down to be a little much at the moment. Hoping a Seasonal Site would help alleviate some of the work.
https://goo.gl/photos/sQzc7u2x4QYHzxir7
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:24 AM   #3

I'd disconnect water, turn off propane at a minimum. Timers on a lamp or two if you leave electric on. Shades down. Maybe get the weight off of the tires and cover them at a minimum. Spiders will love calling it their new home, find their way to propane and maybe impact a line's orifice. Maybe skirt it with something to keep critters away from nesting underneath.
wabirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #4

We are on our 3rd season of seasonal. Love it! We have skirted ours with vinyl soffit, taken the weight off of the tires with cinder block, covered the gas lines with aluminum foil to keep the squirrels away. We do turn the water & gas off when we leave it for the week. We do leave the electric on for the fridge. We leave the gray water valve cracked open most of the time. We've had no issues with spiders. We added a deck, and this year a screen room.

Macshane43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #5

Old 07-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #6

Old 07-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #7

We are on our 3rd season of seasonal camping. This is our first with our Travel Trailer. The first 2 years were in our Greyhawk Class C. We live here the entire season. Definitely get the wheels off the ground to keep the TT from bouncing. It's not a big deal for a 2 or 3 day trip or even a week, but it gets old after a few weeks. We have 4 slides, the 2 rear slides have the kids bunk and our bed is on a slide, so we felt a lot of movement before getting the wheels off the ground.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback and the pics!

Question...what's the best way to keep the tires off of the ground? I'm desperate to stop the bouncing...feel seasick every trip!! I have teenage sons that walk like a herd of clydesdales!!!!

Rico1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #9

If you turn the gas off, What would happen if a prankster would shut off the electric or the power would go out while you are not there. Refrigerator does not use much propane.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico1971 View Post
Thanks for the feedback and the pics!

Question...what's the best way to keep the tires off of the ground? I'm desperate to stop the bouncing...feel seasick every trip!! I have teenage sons that walk like a herd of clydesdales!!!!

Cinder blocks.

You'll need a bottle jack to get this done.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #11

What Craig said. Just lift one side at a time with a bottle jack, get the tires off the ground, put some cinder blocks under the frame and then lower the trailer. I put a stack of blocks in front of the tires and behind the tires. We have to leave the tires on the trailer at our park, but I removed all the air from them, so even if the blocks settle a little, the tires should stay off the ground and keep the suspension from bouncing the camper.

I put some 1x6 pressure treated between the frame and the top cinder block to avoid scraping up the frame and having it rust.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #12

We used a bottle jack & cinder blocks to get the wheels off of the ground. As for the fridge & propane, we turn the propane off because of fires we've seen. I'd rather lose food than the camper.