Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2023, 04:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbd460 View Post
Just bought a new Jay Feather 27BHB. I'm asking if I will need the second ac? I am a HVAC contractor so I do need mechanical ac information just asking if anyone has the same trailer and ended up adding a second ac. Although I know air conditioning I'm not familiar with rv ac brands. I know it will obviously help with the addition of a second but is it absolutely necessary to have in 100 degree climates? Sales manager said not needed but I'm skeptical. Can anyone tell me what the best brand is for travel trailers?
Thanks
Bruce
One word, Redundancy!
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:46 AM   #22

Oh, and one other thing.
Since you have an HVAC background, like most air conditioners, the components all have common manufacturers.
Coleman/Mach and Dometic are the major players.
I have a 2016 Jayco 31XL with a 30 Amp service but added a second one with separate service so that I can plug into the twenty-amp receptacle at the pedestal.
We were in Texas and it was a good thing I did!If had to do it over again I would have installed a ductless split with ceiling module.
Especially since it was in the bedroom and would have been much quieter.!
Old 04-05-2023, 06:27 AM   #23

Any thoughts on closing the floor heating vents in the warm months. Heat rises so the cooler air is by the floor. I have 6 or 7 vents in my unit for the cold air to possibly escape. I think it might help.
Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
Any thoughts on closing the floor heating vents in the warm months. Heat rises so the cooler air is by the floor. I have 6 or 7 vents in my unit for the cold air to possibly escape. I think it might help.
It would depend on whether or not the ducting to the vents is enclosed ie above the underbelly which most are and there would not be much gain by doing that not to mention the possibility of a trip hazard!
Old 04-05-2023, 05:33 PM   #25

Oddly enough some of my floor heat vents have a thumb wheel to close them some don’t. I think a piece of duct tape would be perfect for the ones that don’t. After a six pack it’s not the duct tape that’s going to trip me!
Old 04-05-2023, 06:02 PM   #26

Another reason I will close off floor ducts is I have never used my propane furnace for heat. In the Fall months the electric fireplace and an electric heater in the bedroom heat the whole fifth wheel. I keep the ducted AC unit running in the fan only mode to circulate the air. I pay for propane the campground fee includes electric. I will test the furnace in case it is ever needed. I doubt it though I’ve never camped past September so far.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:34 PM   #27

I would definitely get second ac unit. We had a single 15k on our 2013 Eagle. Though the camper would stay cool. There were time the AC never shut off till late evening. Sun went down And we even had double pane windows. Think without those would have been much worse.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:02 PM   #28

Must Have 2nd AC

I live in South Texas and I second AC is a MUST HAVE item. Camping in South Padre Island demands a second AC. You will not regretted it.
2020 Jayflight 28BHBE (SOLD)
Ford F-350 (SOLD)
Man Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #29

The best thing about a 2nd A/C is when the 1st one goes out....and it's 98° till midnight.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
Search the posts on mini split unit installation in RV. There are some good alternative options there.
This retired robotics engineer was likely the first to put a mini split on an RV. His goal is 100% solar. We have them on our properties in Mexico and Texas - quiet, efficient.

IrisnGerald is offline   Reply With Quote