Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #1

Secret to black tank flush?

can someone please reveal the secret to the black tank flush on 2013+ Jayco Jay Flight trailers??

Seems to take for ever to flush- certain brand of TP?

thank you
tshirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

1 ply . Sometimes it sticks to the bowl. A stick moves the wad over the hole
Or do you have a water pressure problem?

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

Referring to the toilet bowl valve into the black tank, or the tank dump valve to empty the tank?
Old 06-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #4

The black tank flush works so-so. You still need to do some extra work. Like wanding the tank from the toilet or filling the tank again with fresh water and re-flushing. If you're seeing "1/2 full or 3/4 full" on your board, you most likely have some "stuff" on one or more sensors.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #5

I'm referring to the black tank flush that is on the outside of the trailer above the dump valves you hook up a hose to flush the tank, it spins around in the black tank I think?
Old 06-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshirtman View Post
I'm referring to the black tank flush that is on the outside of the trailer above the dump valves you hook up a hose to flush the tank, it spins around in the black tank I think?
If you follow the directions you open the dump valve then turn on the water to the flush. Leave on until it is mostly clear discharge. Even though it says not too several users here including me will close the dump valve while the flush is still on to let some water fill the bottom of the tank then open the dump valve again. I do this a several times depending on if anyone else is line. Key is you don't want to leave the flush on and dump valve closed too long. I would suspect it would take several minutes to fill the black tank to where it overflows.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
If you follow the directions you open the dump valve then turn on the water to the flush. Leave on until it is mostly clear discharge. Even though it says not too several users here including me will close the dump valve while the flush is still on to let some water fill the bottom of the tank then open the dump valve again. I do this a several times depending on if anyone else is line. Key is you don't want to leave the flush on and dump valve closed too long. I would suspect it would take several minutes to fill the black tank to where it overflows.
This is how I roll too. The key is to not get distracted while you're filling the tank again. If you walk away and forget, you'll have an unpleasant situation on your hands (and on your feet and your roof and your floor and your wife ...). I set my watch to beep at me after 5 minutes. I know that my hose will flow a maximum of 5 GPM (with open hose; the tank flush sprayer actually flows less than that) and my tank is 32 gallons. When my watch beeps I stop what I'm doing and open the valve or turn off the water. Most of the time I'm standing there looking at it and will pull the valve early. I can actually hear a change in the sound of the tank sprayer as the water level gets up there. The 5 minute mark is a warning that something bad's about to happen, and if I'm not there, I had better hustle over and open the valve or turn off the water RFN.

I will usually try to get two good flushes this way if I can, and I've never had any problems with my tank or this method.

Someone on here posted a pic of a T-Shirt that said something like "I am in the process of dumping and flushing my waste tanks, please do not disturb". It was posted by a DW for her DH to wear IIRC, LOL!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #8

My procedure so I don't take up too much of my or the guys behind me time is to open the black and let it drain 1st. While it's draining hook up the black rinse hose. As soon as the black is done, open the grey and turn the faucet on for the black rinse. Close the black valve for a few mins to get some extra water in, then open it. Let the black tank rinse run the whole time the grey is draining. When the grey is almost done or at a trickle then shut off the black rise, roll the hose up and finish up the grey and cleanup. Hardly adds any time to my dump time. If I'm at my own site then I'll let the black rinse run way longer. But if I'm at a dump station I'll gage who and if anyone's behind me and dump accordingly.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Someone on here posted a pic of a T-Shirt that said something like "I am in the process of dumping and flushing my waste tanks, please do not disturb". It was posted by a DW for her DH to wear IIRC, LOL!
I'm a big time multi-tasker with 2 or 3 or 4 things going on at once and all interleaved together.

Until its time to dump the black tank - then it's the one and only thing I work on till complete (we are full time with a hard sewer line). Similar process as everyone else like above with the black tank closed while the rinse runs a few minutes.
1963 IH Scout
brained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
My procedure so I don't take up too much of my or the guys behind me time is to open the black and let it drain 1st. While it's draining hook up the black rinse hose. As soon as the black is done, open the grey and turn the faucet on for the black rinse. Close the black valve for a few mins to get some extra water in, then open it. Let the black tank rinse run the whole time the grey is draining. When the grey is almost done or at a trickle then shut off the black rise, roll the hose up and finish up the grey and cleanup. Hardly adds any time to my dump time. If I'm at my own site then I'll let the black rinse run way longer. But if I'm at a dump station I'll gage who and if anyone's behind me and dump accordingly.
That's a good point, and IMO a great procedure for when you're at a dump station.

I'm usually at full-hookup sites, so my only limitation is when DW is finished inside and standing there with her hand on her hip tapping her toe waiting for me to finish. I've learned to start earlier so this doesn't happen! LOL!!

If you're at a dump station with a line of campers behind you, you don't want to be lolly-gagging around filling and flushing your tank 2 or 3 times or letting your flush run forever. If you don't get an absolutely perfect dump and flush, it's not the end of the world. I would say if you can get a really good 2-3 cycle flush one out of 3 times, you should be good.

I try to make sure I get a full-hookup site on our last trip of our season so I can get the tank as clean as possible before I store the rig. I also use tank chems and water softener anyway, so eventually anything left in there will slide off and/or break down.

Of course, all the basic rules still apply; always have a "wet" tank, use plenty of water when flushing, and don't dump your tank until it's AT LEAST 2/3 full.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #11

Ordered a Flush King yesterday and it will be here for the trip this weekend.
I think the combo of the installed black tank flush and the Flush king will do the job.
thanks to all the replies.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #12

Flush King will help, but it depends on how many bends your discharge piping has. I had one for my old toy hauler, but with two 90 degree bends, it really was of limited use. The incoming spray from the nozzle just backed up against a wall of water after a couple of gallons. If it's a straight shot, would work better.