Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

Securing easy chairs in RLS

I own a Jayco Jay Flight 27RLS and need some ideas on how to properly strap down or secure the easy chairs in the rear when traveling. We have the swivel rocking chairs and not the recliners. They bounce around a lot when traveling and at times, hit the valences on the windows.
Jayco Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #2

We have recliners so not the same but we strap them together back to back with a blanket between them for padding.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #3

I would imagine there are some tie downs attached to the floor or walls close to the chairs and a strap should have come from the factory to prevent movement during towing. If not, a trip to the hardware store for some tie downs and a long enough strap to reach the distance needed to reduce or control the movement of the chairs.

Our TT has the "theater seats" and the strap & tiedowns were provided but we don't do anything or use it as our slide when retracted keeps the chairs from moving. No damage yet.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #4

Ditto on factory installed floor anchors and factory supplied straps. I would think they are standard whether you have recliners or swivel chairs.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Ditto on factory installed floor anchors and factory supplied straps. I would think they are standard whether you have recliners or swivel chairs.
Ditto, and protective chair covers.
2016, 28RLS.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #6

No floor anchors on our 27RLS. We turn the one chair nearest to the slide out, sideways, the slide holds it tight. Other chair we leave in place, never have had an issue with either moving, we do tow all over the West on some pretty rough roads also. Call me lucky !

They did come with a strap to strap them back to back and a pad for between them... royal PIA so used it once and stopped that.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
No floor anchors on our 27RLS. We turn the one chair nearest to the slide out, sideways, the slide holds it tight. Other chair we leave in place, never have had an issue with either moving, we do tow all over the West on some pretty rough roads also. Call me lucky !

They did come with a strap to strap them back to back and a pad for between them... royal PIA so used it once and stopped that.
What he said ^^^^! Same trailer and did the same things!

Except.... we sold our OEM swivel rockers and put a table on the right side and an IKEA chair on the left. The table is held with bungee cords (with a shoe rack underneath) and the IKEA chair fits in the rear corner between the slide and the rear wall. Happy campers.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #8

We put ours back to back and use the strap and the covers. We do have damage from time to time on the valance, from the chairs moving a bit, but it's minor. We have found no other way to place them where they won't move. Thank goodness for the hobit door in the bedroom so we don't have to jump over the chairs.
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Ours came with protective chair back covers and web straps as well.

After one trip with the recliners back to back and the thin vinyl covers on we switched to using the blanket as the covers had rubbed through and into the back of the chairs from continuous movement.

I put a camera in the back to see what was happening a couple of yrs ago, everything is in motion and bouncing around when travelling
Old 10-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
snip..
I put a camera in the back to see what was happening a couple of yrs ago, everything is in motion and bouncing around when travelling
I, for one, would like to see that if you could post it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I, for one, would like to see that if you could post it.
I'll see if I can find it. Might have deleted it all. Video was kinda dark but I could see the recliners which sit on the slideout floor bouncing as the trailer hit small bumps. The next yr I started putting blocks under the slideout to support the floor which floats in the air when retracted. The video was on a smooth road too, hate to see what happens on something like I75