Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2016, 03:22 AM   #1

Securing utility/battery box to 264BHW front A frame question

I'm replacing the stock battery box and adding an aluminum box for lockable storage with two 6 volt batteries to the front of our travel trailer.
There seem to be several methods of mounting this to the frame, large self-tapping screw (1/4") or long bolts & plates/u-bolts. Which is the best way to do this?
The self-tappers sure look to be the easier/cheaper way!
Bonedaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:04 AM   #2

I wouldn't use 1/4" self tapping screws to hold a battery in, let alone 2 6volt! That's some weight! I would suggest welding (my tray will be when I get it) that would be the best and then you won't have fastener heads to deal with on the inside or to leak. You spent a lot on your trailer, I assume, don't cheap out now. 😎
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:52 AM   #3

I wouldn't use the self tapping screws either. I would use the plate and STAINLESS STEEL bolts. They won't rust over time and you can remove the box if you see fit to do so. The one thing that I have learned is that I will change my mind on some idea that I was convinced was great at the time but turned out to have some negatives to it.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #4

I used the self taping screws and the box with 3 series 29 batteries is still solid after 3 years and over 25k miles. Jayco uses self tapin screws for just about everything. For the box to fall off, the propane tanks and jack would have to go too. Very unlikely. I'm all for overkill , but think we all sometime overthink simple things.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #5

I used the round head screw on the botton of the frame and had my nut and washers on the inside of the lock box.. My theory there was making it harder to use the cut-off tool to steal the box with batteries inside...

The down-side of course was how to deal with the nuts and washers inside the box where the batteries sit...

I guess no matter what you do seems to have a down side haha...

I would also get a lock box with a flush mount hand paddle type lock... If all you have is the latch type with a pad lock just remember those can be cut or snipped out in seconds with the right tool.

Also remember to lock your propane tanks as well

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:16 AM   #6

Thanks and more muttering...

It does seem to come down to a choice between simpler/cheaper and more complicated/more expensive.

Can I ask the size of the box and size and quantity of the self tapping screws that you used, LabMan?

RoyBraddy , did you bolt through the frame? Thanks for the propane lock suggestion! I'm awaiting delivery of a 48x15x15 aluminum box, which I'm thinking I will line the bottom with 3/4" plywood.
Bonedaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #7

The box is 12" high bottom to top of lid, 49" wide, 8" wide at bottom, 12" at top. It is L shape. Purchased it at Lowes. Attached with 1 1/4" corrosion resistant drill screws. I did drill a pilot hole first, I added steel mesh to cutouts in the back for vents (about 3x3 each) and I used 2 SS drain screens for vents in the front . I have the batteries wired to a switch. Can be used 1 bat, 2 bat, or all 3, and it has a shutoff/disconnect. I normally use 2 batteries for the trailer with the 3 as a reserve to start the onboard Onan generator if we happen to run the 2 down. I'll add picture as soon as I figure out how.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levinehikeski View Post
I wouldn't use 1/4" self tapping screws to hold a battery in, let alone 2 6volt! That's some weight! I would suggest welding (my tray will be when I get it) that would be the best and then you won't have fastener heads to deal with on the inside or to leak. You spent a lot on your trailer, I assume, don't cheap out now. 😎
I was looking at moving stuff around up front to make room (weight distributing hitch brackets are RIGHT IN THE DANG WAY!!) and LabMan is right, Jayco uses self-tapping screws to hold the propane bracket on. Maybe they ARE good enough to mount the box.
I got a 48 x 15 x 15 box, and I don't think it'll fit with the WDH brackets and tanks. I'm now looking at a truck tool box at Lowes that'll fit (front-to-back is 12", that'll work), has waaay plenty of room, but might look a little weird without a pickup truck under it. Just sayin...
I'm planning on two GC2 golf cart 6 volt batteries, which Interstate says are 11-1/2" high, is that the size batteries you all are using?? I'm a little concerned about shorting out with a box that's 12" high, they usually have some reinforcement in the lid. Had a battery actually explode for that reason years ago... BANG!!