Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #1

Seeking Input on three TT choices for purchase

Hello all-

Searching for a family TT. Me, DW, DS (18), DS (13). Main uses include state parks, beaches, private parks, and little boondocking. Typically 3-5 day trips. Two week trips in summer, may go out of state.

My Tow vehicle can pull all three with no issues.

Prefer used, but may consider new.

What are your thoughts on these floorplans, amenities, sleeping arrangements, length, etc.....for our intended uses.

Looking at these three units....

USED: 2011 Jayco JayFlight G2 33RLDS - $15,500

not sure of options

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...264233706.html

USED: 2014 Jayco JayFlight 32BHDS - $20K

not sure of options, other than fiberglass sides

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...255557674.html

NEW: 2017 Jayco JayFlight 28BHBE- $22K

OPTIONS include....Elite package, Thermal Package, electric stabilizers, Customer Value Package with 15btu AC, Good year tires, alum rims

Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE - Camping World - 1338612

Are there other floorplans I should be looking at/considering?
Advice from those that have been there doe that?

Thanks!

2006 Tracker Pro Guide 16 WT, Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke; 9" Lowrance HDS; Motorguide Xi5 GPS
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
Hello all-

Searching for a family TT. Me, DW, DS (18), DS (13). Main uses include state parks, beaches, private parks, and little boondocking. Typically 3-5 day trips. Two week trips in summer, may go out of state.

My Tow vehicle can pull all three with no issues.

Prefer used, but may consider new.

What are your thoughts on these floorplans, amenities, sleeping arrangements, length, etc.....for our intended uses.

Looking at these three units....

USED: 2011 Jayco JayFlight G2 33RLDS - $15,500

not sure of options

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...264233706.html

USED: 2014 Jayco JayFlight 32BHDS - $20K

not sure of options, other than fiberglass sides

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...255557674.html

NEW: 2017 Jayco JayFlight 28BHBE- $22K

OPTIONS include....Elite package, Thermal Package, electric stabilizers, Customer Value Package with 15btu AC, Good year tires, alum rims

Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE - Camping World - 1338612

Are there other floorplans I should be looking at/considering?
Advice from those that have been there doe that?

Thanks!
What about the Jayco 29BH or 26BH models?

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

Dues it really matter what thoughts others may have??

My suggestion would be for you to pick the one that fits your needs
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #4

Bunks are nice if you have kids because you don't have to make the couches into beds and make beds into couches everyday( that gets old really quick)

If it's just you and the wife with the occasional kid tagging along then the 2011 is a nice unit

Think about a raining evening that one kid wants to go make the couch into a bed

You and the wife want to watch a DVD on the same couch?

Or just being in the same area playing cards at the kitchen table while your two kids are trying to sleep 2 feet away

There are no privacy curtains or doors unless you get a bunkhouse model
Diggerdan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #5

Kids are getting older and soon may opt out of camping with mom and dad, I wouldn't get a bunkhouse. Because after they leave, it's a waste of space in my opinion. Go with the RLDS.

You know what they say about opinions....
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post

Just looking for input from others who have experience with bunks for teens and using larger 32'+ TT

2006 Tracker Pro Guide 16 WT, Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke; 9" Lowrance HDS; Motorguide Xi5 GPS
Old 08-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
Just looking for input from others who have experience with bunks for teens and using larger 32'+ TT
I missed that kids are teens and agree they won't want to go much longer. In that case a couples TT may be the best way to go and let the kids sleep in a tent just outside as their bedroom. DW and I love our 27 DSRL

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #8

I can't tell you what trailer is best for your family. You would refer to buy use vs new, I bought all three of my trailers used and would it again. My first two trailers I bought off of craigslist the third came from a dealer in Phoenix that I found on rv trader. I would take my time and get the trailer that is right for you.

Here in so. ca. we have county parks to camp at also. I camp at parks in both Riverside and San Diego counties. I haven't camped in any of the state parks yet. Also check out the national forest campgrounds, they also have good campgrounds.

The trailers you put in this forum are long. I would look at places you want to camp and check the max. length they allow.

Good luck in shopping for your trailer. I live just up the hill from you so maybe I will see you out camping some day
sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #9

I agree on the length...smaller is my preference, but DW likes comfort and wants the kids to have comfortable beds.

Kids tried the typical narrow "coffin" sized bunks found in older TTs and they found them too claustrophobic and narrow.

My DS (13) has Autism so he will be with us for a long time. DS (18) is close to his brother and will probably camp with us for many years.

However, I am trying to convince DW that a 23'-25' would suit is just fine, like the Jay Feather X213. She's still not convinced, but I keep trying!!

Is there a TT that's a happy middle ground?

Old 08-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
Site Team

If the kids will be camping for several years and need wide bunks that eliminates the RLDS ..
The 32BHDS has a seperate bunk room/ slide which many find to be a plus. You really need to walkthrough each model to see what works for your family. I would also not limit my search to one brand, there are lots of bunk house choices out there and you may find something you like better.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #11

Really it comes down to how you are going to use it and how comfortable your family will be. I have an X213 - we just spent the last 2 months in it with about 25% of that time boondocking. I did add solar to it but it's more or less stock beyond that.

I'm a large guy (6'2") with my wife (measurements redacted ) and 13 year old son and 14 year old daughter. We chose the X213 for a couple reasons - each kid had their own bunk without breaking down a table or couch...and we had a king-size bed. After spending a couple months in it I would change a couple things...but those are only things that can be remedied with a bigger truck or longer camper. It's limiting on some larger campers as to where you can camp sometimes (and likewise for campers with tent ends).

Now we were blessed with no rain for the first 42 days (It rained on us 4 times in 52 days! - so the camper was more of a place to sleep and cook. But we've also spent full weeks in rain and drizzle in it...without hookups. That being said...I couldn't sleep in the top bunk of the X213 - simply because I don't think I could climb up there. My 13 yo son did just fine...but he seems to be able to sleep anywhere. There was one hot night he slept on the sofa folded out - but he said his bunk was more comfortable in the morning.

Go to a dealer. Walk through and spend an hour in a camper with the entire family before you buy it. Play some cards..."make dinner". Move around. "watch tv". try the shower (i.e. do you fit? - I don't fit in the X213 shower...but there's one on the outside and we just setup a shower tent and used that...partially because when being on the road for 2-months you bring extra stuff like parkas and coats and we needed a place to hang them.
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #12

We have a 2013 28BHBE and we have a son that's 16 and a daughter that's 13. With this model you get the full size bunks and a real shower. The bunks tend to get a bit warm but we have small fans set up in them. My wife gets a bit claustrophobic in the MBR but that's true with most trailers. We make short weekend trips during the school year and longer 10-14 day trips during the summer. We spent 25 days at the beach this summer. We love it and the kids love having their own space in the bunks. Hope this helps!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:36 PM   #13
bap

Have the kids try out the bunks. Make them get in and out of them a few times to see how easy or hard it is for them. Have them move around in the bed rolling over from side to side. We have found in our 2009 29BHS, that as our kids who are now 16 and 20, have gotten bigger, they have a hard time getting into the top bunk because there is not much room to maneuver up there. Another thing to check out is how much room is there for everyone to sit to watch tv or read on days that the weather is not good or in the evening. If everyone is comfortable, it will make for a much more enjoyable trip.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #14

WE used to have a 2012 26BH But with 3 kids, it got small inside when it was a rainy day and hard to move around. Kids are 16, 14 and 11
So we got a 2016 28BHBE and LOVE it. the 88 gallons of water will last us for a very long (5 day ) weekend with 5 camping. We do quite a bit of boon docking as well as state parks, Thousand Trails Campgrounds, and private campgrounds.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #15
Dan

All three look pretty nice to me, but the 2011 I would not choose, simply because it does not have ready-to-go bunks for your boys. We owned a White Hawk that had the rear bunks and my two kids really liked those bunks.

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 White Hawk 28DSBH (trade-in)
2015 Eagle 355MBQS (trade-in)
2019 Jay Flight 29BHDB
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #16

First, buying used is brilliant. I've done both and doubt I would ever buy new again. Warranty isn't worth much in my book, read all the hassles, but more importantly both of my Jayco's have been trouble free.

Second, length matters a lot in California. We really liked the 32BHDS but it was too long for where we Camp. A separate bunk room was critical for us, so we went with the 29QBH. It was a great compromise for us, still get a bunk room, but 32' vs 36' allows us a lot more CG options where we like to camp along the central coast and central Sierra.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #17

Great detailed feedback from all of you.

The more I try to get closer to a decision, the more confusing it all gets!

Bunks too small , shower too small, overall length too long, etc......

Just when I think that a rear living room model will work for kid beds (large U dinette and a Hide A Bed, I then have to deal with no place to dig in mornings when I get up early.

Bunks too hard to get into for larger teens/adults and can get too hot/stuffy

Me and younger DS (13) with Autism are outdoors types.... DW and DS (18) are more indoor people and they prefer the comforts.

Hard to please everybody! I'd be happy with a Hybrid but DS (18) will have nothing to do with that!

I've got some more work to do DW and DS (18) to see if we can work towards a compromise of size and comfort.

Confusing!!
Old 08-25-2017, 06:59 AM   #18

When My wife and I shopped we made a list of things we wanted and separated the list into features we insisted on and those we could compromise. Examples: Night stands in the master were a must have. The sofa across from the dinette was a must have (visiting is more comfortable when everyone isn't seated on the same side of the RV). A wide entry door located at the kitchen and arched ceiling were must haves. Bunks and 5th wheel were things we wanted but we could go without. We kept looking until we found the floor plan that fit the "must haves" then we shopped for the best priced unit in our area.

I find 26 feet is a good length. Fits almost any campsite but isn't cramped inside. We have an add a room for the awning which gives lots of sheltered "outdoor" space. I set it up for longer stays since it's a bit of a hassle to set it up again at home to clean and dry.

My teens, when they went, often preferred to tent camp alongside the RV which helps a lot too.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
When My wife and I shopped we made a list of things we wanted and separated the list into features we insisted on and those we could compromise. Examples: Night stands in the master were a must have. The sofa across from the dinette was a must have (visiting is more comfortable when everyone isn't seated on the same side of the RV). A wide entry door located at the kitchen and arched ceiling were must haves. Bunks and 5th wheel were things we wanted but we could go without. We kept looking until we found the floor plan that fit the "must haves" then we shopped for the best priced unit in our area.

I find 26 feet is a good length. Fits almost any campsite but isn't cramped inside. We have an add a room for the awning which gives lots of sheltered "outdoor" space. I set it up for longer stays since it's a bit of a hassle to set it up again at home to clean and dry.

My teens, when they went, often preferred to tent camp alongside the RV which helps a lot too.
Shawn, thanks for the response. Did your teens ever sleep inside on the sofa and dinette? If so, how was that? We're thinking that perhaps bunks are not a must have if the dinette is a large U shaped one and the sofa is a Hide A Bed type.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #20

Sure it matters sometimes. You are correct that the final decision must be made by the buyer. However, it's never bad to get other folks thoughts about different models. Sometimes they may raise ideas or questions you, the buyer, haven't thought of. It's never bad to get other folks perspective.

After getting as much information as they can, then the buyer can make as informed a decision as they can.

I did the same thing when I was contemplating getting a Jayco. I joined JOF in order to read up on Jayco's in general, plus I could ask questions about Jayco's, in general, and certain models, in particular. I could get ideas on pluses and minuses from folks who actually owned them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote