Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #1

Seeking some advice please.

recently purchased a Jayco X18D. Love it, but want to make some upgrades and modifications. Can anyone give me any recommendations on where I can go In NJ to have the modifications done? Would appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks much.
vikinganator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #2

What mods do you want done and we have a section here for mods.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

Hi, some additional outlets, tv installations, change out shower unit for tub/shower unit, add seating, etc. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #4

Congrats on the X18D - We got ours in April and have 19 Awesome nights in it so far.

Retired: '94 Coleman Pop-up, '14 Jay Feather X18D
Icescreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #5

congrats on your 19 nights. I'm looking forward to that myself. Any helpful tips or advice you have would be much appreciated. Thanks & enjoy.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #6

Lots of folks out there will do what ever mods there paid to do but when adding outlets always make sure that proper calculations are being done to see if electrical panel will handle the load. Just my two
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #7

I think there is a jayco dealer down south maybe white horse rv. If you are willing to go a little west just in pa called fretz rv
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #8

X18D is a nice little [Note: Little] hybrid. Remember the old saying about trying to load 10lbs of "stuff" in a 5 lb bag. Adding an outlet here or there could be pretty straight forward DIY project if you're at all handy. Additional seating??? Remember you have a 5 lb bag. Mod to shower? Assume you can do it if its the same footprint as the shower, but what do you plan on doing with the "small" tub? Going to a dealer for any of this will likely cost you a bunch. Dealers love to do mods and charge outrageous labor rates.

When we go our WH last year, we did some mods but many of them involved taking stuff out. We removed one of the 2 lounge chairs and 2 of the 4 dining table chairs. Only 2 of use and we didn't need the extras. Added stacked plastic totes to the shower since we rarely use it for showers. When we do the totes are easily moved to the bedroom. Added battery powered wireless wall switches to turn on lites in the main area and bedroom so you don't have to reach up to a ceiling light when entering at nite. Several more but we always considered the need / function before deciding to do anything.

Not that familiar with your model, but a small hybrid can be a great camper for a small family or couple. When you add too much stuff and load it up with personal items and family, it can get real small real quick.

Suggest you do some camping and take the opportunity to see what others have done with similar sized units before you pop for your own mods. Unless you have an unlimited budget, consider what you can do yourself. There are a lot of Utube videos showing you how to do a lot of them.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:10 AM   #9

So far our x18d has been really great for us - we graduated from a small pop-up to it This year.

The things I am not so in love with is 1) the couch area, not super comfy and shallow seats, but we are supposed to be outside so I look past that. 2) the overhead storage above the sink are just large square cabinet, must get some containers for organization and 3) there is no real window on the door side beside the little one over the sink. But again we should be outside.

Most of these points were addressed in the 19 but the third bed made all these not matter. We have so much room in there it is amazing.

Love it and it tows awesome.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:45 AM   #10

Oh and one other important tip - always deadbolt your door when travelling. We failed to do this on the way home one trip to only to see the door wide open at a major intersection. Pulled over to close but not before it whacked the guardrail. FAIL!

This may be obvious but I thought the main lock would not have an issue.

Tags
advice on modifications, new owner