Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Separate 110 inlet

Has anyone ever installed a 110 "inlet" that would give you a receptical on the inside where you would be connected directly to your power pole?

A couple weeks ago, during some pretty cold nights, we had two electric heaters running and the main breaker would pop when my wife would turn the microwave on. I thought if I had a straight line to the power pole it would eliminate my problem.

Any ideas / thoughts?
Hutashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #2

Mine will do that if plugged into wrong outlet.My bathroom and plug in kitchen area is on same trip breaker,i find the ones in front of camper or separate.Have you tried switching them around.Just guessing.Also i use those ceramic heaters they use less current than those that have glow tubes i call it.Good luck Thanks
logan262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #3

I have seen several thread where someone will run a 110vac line in their TT directly from the power pole.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutashe View Post
Has anyone ever installed a 110 "inlet" that would give you a receptical on the inside where you would be connected directly to your power pole?

A couple weeks ago, during some pretty cold nights, we had two electric heaters running and the main breaker would pop when my wife would turn the microwave on. I thought if I had a straight line to the power pole it would eliminate my problem.

Any ideas / thoughts?
We just turn off the heaters temporarily when using the microwave.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan262 View Post
Mine will do that if plugged into wrong outlet.My bathroom and plug in kitchen area is on same trip breaker,i find the ones in front of camper or separate.Have you tried switching them around.Just guessing.Also i use those ceramic heaters they use less current than those that have glow tubes i call it.Good luck Thanks
It's the main that pops in the trailer.... Both heaters are ceramics. We're just pulling too much total juice. I forgot to mention the hot water heater also....
Old 02-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
I have seen several thread where someone will run a 110vac line in their TT directly from the power pole.
I think I'll try it. It wouldn't take too much to do.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #7

Why not put the hot water heater on gas, then try it?

Tom
Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by altar1 View Post
Why not put the hot water heater on gas, then try it?

Tom
Saving the propane....

We have one large and one small clay front heaters. Even with close to freezing temps outside at night, we stayed nice and warm on the park's bill!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutashe View Post
Saving the propane....

We have one large and one small clay front heaters. Even with close to freezing temps outside at night, we stayed nice and warm on the park's bill!
I meant only when running the microwave.....

Tom
Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #10

Living in these TTs is like living in an episode of "Green Acres". You need a chart next to the fuse box telling you "if you use (enter appliance here), you have to shut off (insert appropriate appliance[s] here).

I've read of some tapping into the air conditioner circuit, and adding an outlet or two from that. That would be ok as long as those outlets weren't used when the AC was running. Best would be to have a selector switch set up, so the power would go to either the outlets or the AC, but never both.

That might be my next mod.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #11

Or, you could get a trailer with 50 AMP service... assuming that such is available in Green Acres.

The trailers I have had were 30 AMP service. We never had an issue (assuming the electricity supply had actual 125 volts 30 AMPS) running the standard appliances. Adding heating appliances can quickly cause problems, however. Of course, with no AC running, those amps are available to heat. We usually run a 12.5 AMP oil heater when its cold, and have never had a problem.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #12

I run 2 shorelines when i am at a campground that only has 30 amp service, i can run my second ac on its own shoreline, easy to do.
stancsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #13

I have seen some folks run an extension cord from the main supply outside through the edge of the slide out room just to hook up their electric heaters. Myself, I just burn the propane as I also want to make sure the heated underbelly stays heated. Don't know if that has any effect or not but the bottle of propane is much easier to replace than a busted water line or other problem.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote