Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #1

Serious Black Tank Question

For just my wife and I, our 39 gallon black tank (2016 27RLS) seems to register 2/3 on the light bar way too fast.

I religiously empty and use the black tank spray feature and get 1 light. I usually then put MAYBE 1 gallon of water down it with a green tab to sit so it doesn't smell waiting for the next trip.

Also, when flushing we don't add a lot of extra water to each flush.

So 2 questions:
1. If I turn off the water pump and take a look down into the tank, is that an accurate judgment of the level? If it looks like there's still room, I'm not going to get a nasty surprise somewhere else right?

2. Do I understand correctly that the ONLY source of water going into the black tank is from flushing?

We don't have a problem with water dripping in to the bowl after a flush.

I know those capacity meters can be inaccurate, but we're talking about the wrong tank for misjudging!

Thank you in advance!

2 x Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

1. If I turn off the water pump and take a look down into the tank, is that an accurate judgment of the level?

I have used this method before and not got a nasty surprise.

I don't put too much weight into the black tank flush as the only way of cleaning the tank. If you use too little water (when number 2ing) the poo pyramid can take over and consume tank capacity. Just for fun sake- I would consider filing the tank about half full on the next road trip just to try to break any solids up if they may exist.

About how long is it taking till the tank gets 2/3rd full?

2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #3

tank

About 2 burritos. I'm kidding.

I'd say about 2.5 days. I haven't scientifically tracked it, it just seems to be too fast.

I mean my sweet wife impacts this issue about like you'd expect a sweet wife to impact it. On the other hand I could probably be held more accountable..... but still..

I don't mind looking down there as long as what I'm seeing is accurate in that the tank won't overflow anywhere else.
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 05-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #4

Our trailer is similar to yours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
For just my wife and I, our 39 gallon black tank (2016 27RLS) seems to register 2/3 on the light bar way too fast.
I religiously empty and use the black tank spray feature and get 1 light. I usually then put MAYBE 1 gallon of water down it with a green tab to sit so it doesn't smell waiting for the next trip.
Also, when flushing we don't add a lot of extra water to each flush.
So 2 questions:
1. If I turn off the water pump and take a look down into the tank, is that an accurate judgment of the level? Yes If it looks like there's still room, I'm not going to get a nasty surprise somewhere else right?Right
2. Do I understand correctly that the ONLY source of water going into the black tank is from flushing?Correct
We don't have a problem with water dripping in to the bowl after a flush.
I know those capacity meters can be inaccurate, but we're talking about the wrong tank for misjudging!
Thank you in advance!
You seem to be doing the same thing we do, except we add more water to the black tank after dumping. I guess we add about 3 to 5 gallons.

The next time you dump, shut the water off, open the dump valve, and look down the toilet to the bottom of the black tank (it is a straight drop assuming it is like ours). If you have a tower of poo etc., you'll see it. If there is no tower of poo, keep doing what you're doing.

If there is a tower that could account for filling the tank more rapidly than expected. Also, you'll need to get rid of that tower... not a fun job.
oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #5

tank

Good idea. I actually have one of those black tank wands I used on my previous trailer (X23B).

Does that internal black tank sprayer feature REALLY spray a wide area of the black tank when you're dumping?
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 05-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #6

So in ~2.5 days you are flushing ~30gal.?! It would seem that you have an issue with 1. the meter/gauge, 2. you use to much water/leave to much or 3. there is something taking up space in your tank (poo pyramid)
Old 05-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #7

The sensors are also easily clogged and give very inaccurate readings. Mine will start showing empty, very quickly go to 1/2, and then take forever to go to 3/4. I even got "anal" once, and figured out how many gpm, approximately, my garden hose was putting out, and timed the filling of the BT via the toilet. Shut it off when I began to see water coming up the pipe to the toilet. Yep, when it was empty, it was empty, and when it said 1/2 it was still less than 1/4. But I did have, approximately, full capacity.

There are a variety of "Black Tank Sensor" cleaners out there. They usually require a fill and soak cycle. They worked well in my case, but it only took a few cycles, and I was back to the original problem.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #8

tank

Well I'm glad to not be alone in this issue. All great ideas, thank you!

Looks like the sure way to judge is to take a look down in there.
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 05-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post

IMHO, the black tank is the best tank for misjudging.

You'll be able to tell when it gets almost full by the "burping" sound the toilet makes.

Even if you miss that, worse case. The toilet doesn't empty. Unless you stand on the pedal with the lid down, that isn't a big deal.

In contrast, when the gray tank gets full, it backs up into your shower without warning. Which can be bad if you store stuff in the shower
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #10

I found mine to be incorrectly wired on my previous 2012 26BH. The wiring for the low and middle sensors were switched. Once I switched them to they what they should be, Now, I see the empty light all the time, as we start using the pottie, eventually the 1/3, then eventually the 2/3 then eventually the FULL lights come on.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Surge Guard 34830
2012 26BH (Traded)
2002 Prowler Lynx (totaled from tire blowout)
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote