Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #1

Serious Black Tank Question

For just my wife and I, our 39 gallon black tank (2016 27RLS) seems to register 2/3 on the light bar way too fast.

I religiously empty and use the black tank spray feature and get 1 light. I usually then put MAYBE 1 gallon of water down it with a green tab to sit so it doesn't smell waiting for the next trip.

Also, when flushing we don't add a lot of extra water to each flush.

So 2 questions:
1. If I turn off the water pump and take a look down into the tank, is that an accurate judgment of the level? If it looks like there's still room, I'm not going to get a nasty surprise somewhere else right?

2. Do I understand correctly that the ONLY source of water going into the black tank is from flushing?

We don't have a problem with water dripping in to the bowl after a flush.

I know those capacity meters can be inaccurate, but we're talking about the wrong tank for misjudging!

Thank you in advance!
2 x Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #2

1. If I turn off the water pump and take a look down into the tank, is that an accurate judgment of the level?

I have used this method before and not got a nasty surprise.

I don't put too much weight into the black tank flush as the only way of cleaning the tank. If you use too little water (when number 2ing) the poo pyramid can take over and consume tank capacity. Just for fun sake- I would consider filing the tank about half full on the next road trip just to try to break any solids up if they may exist.

About how long is it taking till the tank gets 2/3rd full?
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #3

tank

About 2 burritos. I'm kidding.

I'd say about 2.5 days. I haven't scientifically tracked it, it just seems to be too fast.

I mean my sweet wife impacts this issue about like you'd expect a sweet wife to impact it. On the other hand I could probably be held more accountable..... but still..

I don't mind looking down there as long as what I'm seeing is accurate in that the tank won't overflow anywhere else.
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 05-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #4

Our trailer is similar to yours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
For just my wife and I, our 39 gallon black tank (2016 27RLS) seems to register 2/3 on the light bar way too fast.
I religiously empty and use the black tank spray feature and get 1 light. I usually then put MAYBE 1 gallon of water down it with a green tab to sit so it doesn't smell waiting for the next trip.
Also, when flushing we don't add a lot of extra water to each flush.
So 2 questions:
1. If I turn off the water pump and take a look down into the tank, is that an accurate judgment of the level? Yes If it looks like there's still room, I'm not going to get a nasty surprise somewhere else right?Right
2. Do I understand correctly that the ONLY source of water going into the black tank is from flushing?Correct
We don't have a problem with water dripping in to the bowl after a flush.
I know those capacity meters can be inaccurate, but we're talking about the wrong tank for misjudging!
Thank you in advance!
You seem to be doing the same thing we do, except we add more water to the black tank after dumping. I guess we add about 3 to 5 gallons.

The next time you dump, shut the water off, open the dump valve, and look down the toilet to the bottom of the black tank (it is a straight drop assuming it is like ours). If you have a tower of poo etc., you'll see it. If there is no tower of poo, keep doing what you're doing.

If there is a tower that could account for filling the tank more rapidly than expected. Also, you'll need to get rid of that tower... not a fun job.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #5

tank

Good idea. I actually have one of those black tank wands I used on my previous trailer (X23B).

Does that internal black tank sprayer feature REALLY spray a wide area of the black tank when you're dumping?
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 05-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #6

So in ~2.5 days you are flushing ~30gal.?! It would seem that you have an issue with 1. the meter/gauge, 2. you use to much water/leave to much or 3. there is something taking up space in your tank (poo pyramid)
Old 05-13-2016, 07:58 AM   #7

The sensors are also easily clogged and give very inaccurate readings. Mine will start showing empty, very quickly go to 1/2, and then take forever to go to 3/4. I even got "anal" once, and figured out how many gpm, approximately, my garden hose was putting out, and timed the filling of the BT via the toilet. Shut it off when I began to see water coming up the pipe to the toilet. Yep, when it was empty, it was empty, and when it said 1/2 it was still less than 1/4. But I did have, approximately, full capacity.

There are a variety of "Black Tank Sensor" cleaners out there. They usually require a fill and soak cycle. They worked well in my case, but it only took a few cycles, and I was back to the original problem.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #8

tank

Well I'm glad to not be alone in this issue. All great ideas, thank you!

Looks like the sure way to judge is to take a look down in there.
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 05-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post

IMHO, the black tank is the best tank for misjudging.

You'll be able to tell when it gets almost full by the "burping" sound the toilet makes.

Even if you miss that, worse case. The toilet doesn't empty. Unless you stand on the pedal with the lid down, that isn't a big deal.

In contrast, when the gray tank gets full, it backs up into your shower without warning. Which can be bad if you store stuff in the shower
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #10

I found mine to be incorrectly wired on my previous 2012 26BH. The wiring for the low and middle sensors were switched. Once I switched them to they what they should be, Now, I see the empty light all the time, as we start using the pottie, eventually the 1/3, then eventually the 2/3 then eventually the FULL lights come on.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #11

On mine it stays on E forever, stays on 1/3 for about one pee, then on to 2/3 for quite a while and I've never hit F. My guess is the sensors are installed in random locations just like most other things are on these trailers. I love my Jayco but the lack of using a tape measure, level, and common sense when installing things drives my nuts.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #12

our black tank always reads full.
and the unit is new.
The batteries always read low.

The grey water always reads full. We empty that tank every day and get about five gallons.

We use the bathroom for peeing once a night. So how is the black tank always full?

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #13

TP hangs up on the sensors and when wet will give false readings. Making sure to have lots of water in the tank before.dumping is one key element. This ensures you flush most of the debris down the sewer hose. Afterwards add 3 to 5 gallons back into the tank. With every flush use lots of water.

If my sensors start acting up for a few tips I add a 1/2 cup of liquid fabric softner, after dumping. It seams to help with clearing the debris on the sensors, I do this with the Grey tank too.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #14

Dave sensors do not work worth a darn.. in the black/gray tanks.. I have a 30 gallon BW tank and it takes me a month to fill it (living solo) Live dangerously.. When I flush the toilet and hear a plop,splash.. I know it is time to dump... if you wish take a flash light and look down when you flush.. once the level reaches the toilet drop tube then it is time to dump..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #15

Another "voice of experience":

All of the level sensors battery, fresh water, gray water and black water are a little less accurate than a 10-day weather forecast.

"Sorta close. Sometimes" is the best you are going to get.

Keeping a mental note of about how much water you've used and reconcile that to the readings. After several trips, you will learn just what the panel is telling you.

My TT reports the fresh and grey tanks pretty well. The battery shows full until 2 hours before the CO detector complains of low volts. The black tank jumps to 2/3 full after the 2nd flush, stays there for a day and then reports 1/2 and 2/3 rationally as the camping continues.

So, keep an eye on 'em for the first year and then you'll be able to trust what the readings really mean.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #16

Did anyone else find their 1/3 and 2/3 sensors wired wrong? How I found out was my grey tank sensors were fairly accurate so, I looked at what color wires went to each sensor, then looked at my black water tank sensors and saw they were not in the same order.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #17

I wish Jayco offered SeeLevel monitors as an option on all their trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #18

I just recently bought my 26bh from a buddy. This is the first TT I've owned. He warned me the black tank sensors are not very accurate.

We took it the first time this past weekend. I was a bit of a wreck about the dumping as I hadn't done this before. Using his instructions (rather picky, which is one of the reasons I bought from him) and also watching a YouTube video I did the following and had some good results:

1. Hooked up water hose to the tornado input.
2. Hooked up the poop shoot from black tank to dump station.
3. Turn on water to tornado.
4. Let the water shoot in the black tank for a couple of minutes.
5. With tornado/water still running, I opened the black tank valve.
6. Using clear elbow, I kept valve open and tornado running until everything passing through looked clean. I let run a couple of minutes after it was clean.
7. I then shut the black tank valve and continued to let the tornado run for several minutes.
8. I re-opened the black tank valve and as suspected I got some more debris as evidenced through my clear elbow.
9. I did this a second time just for good measure and because I was nervous about the process.
10. I shut the black valve one last time and continued filling using the tornado input for just a little bit of time.
11. I dropped a blue tablet down the tank to keep things sanitized until the next run.
12. I re-checked the sensor, and it registered as empty.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #19

Congratulations on your new to you trailer (and its clean black tank) and welcome to the JOF.

Black tank sensors often get 'debris' stuck on them so they read 'fuller' than the tank actually is because of it. If you doubt your empty tank reading, shut the water off, dump your black tank, and open the toilet flush valve. Using a flashlight, look down through the toilet and on most trailers you'll be looking at the bottom of the black tank. If you see build up on the bottom of the tank, you have more work ahead of you to remove that.

Overall, your black tank dumping procedure looks fine to me. I say that because it is very similar to what I do. The only thing I could add, would be to say, 'With the black tank dumped, now dump the grey tank.'
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Congratulations on your new to you trailer (and its clean black tank) and welcome to the JOF.

Black tank sensors often get 'debris' stuck on them so they read 'fuller' than the tank actually is because of it. If you doubt your empty tank reading, shut the water off, dump your black tank, and open the toilet flush valve. Using a flashlight, look down through the toilet and on most trailers you'll be looking at the bottom of the black tank. If you see build up on the bottom of the tank, you have more work ahead of you to remove that.

Overall, your black tank dumping procedure looks fine to me. I say that because it is very similar to what I do. The only thing I could add, would be to say, 'With the black tank dumped, now dump the grey tank.'
Thank you for the welcome. Glad to hear I was doing it right!

Although I didn't specifically mention the grey tank, you are correct. After I finished the procedure noted above, I then proceeded to empty the grey tank. It helps push all the sewage down the poop shoot and keeps things clean.

Funny story (now that it is over). When I first pulled to the dump station, I was quite nervous as previously noted. I had played over in my head all the instructions my buddy had passed on, etc. Prior to connecting the poop shoot, I was checking the position of the black and grey tank valves. The black was pushed in which in my head was correct for closed. The grey was just the opposite. I thought this was weird and had pushed it in, but then pulled it back out. Somewhere my little brain had came up with the idea had this valve been open the entire time then it would have leaked through the cap, and that for whatever reason the standard positioning must be reversed for the grey tank valve.

Being confident in my assumptions, I proceeded to remove the cap so I could hook up the poop shoot. This is where the real fun started. I got the surprise of my life as "sewage" spewed all over me and the ground below. I was pissed, scared and flustered for a few seconds until my brain finally clicked into gear and I slammed the grey valve to what I always knew was the correct closed position. Of course, this was the problem and the flow quickly stopped afterwards.

While not ideal, I was very happy that I had handled and reacted to this situation very well and that no other camping patrons were witness to the event and this could be my little secret. That is until I look back over my shoulder and I see my wife almost in tears from the laughter. Apparently my brain had somehow blocked out her howls of hysterical relief.

Lessons learned:

1. Check the position of the valves before camping. I had assumed both tanks were closed the entire time. While at the time, I didn't feel lucky, I had indeed been very lucky as all that got hurt was my pride. This could have been a bad weekend had the black tank valve been open the entire time.

2. Indeed when the valves are pushed in, they are closed. Don't ever deviate from this train of thought, unless you specifically know otherwise.

3. If you mess up like I did, and respond quickly enough you will have minimal grey tank loss and still be able to sufficiently dump the grey tank after the black tank as you are supposed to and keep your system as clean as possible.

4. Make sure your wife stays in the truck when you first do this stuff.

5. When you accept that #4 above is not a real possibility, learn to laugh at yourself and learn from the experience.