Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #81

good advice classic I just assumed it would be oriented correctly but you never know , and I didn't know but I had assumed the trailer battery was already hooked up when the process was started
Old 03-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #82

well you know its working right then 0.13 is low but that could also be the fact that it is pulsing
Old 03-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Lukenick.. Just checking here. When your first hooked up your battery to the trailer and found it was dead, did you put the WHITE wire to the NEGATIVE battery terminal and the BLACK wire to the POSITIVE?

Also when you are testing your 7 way plug make sure your orientation is correct. The picture on the internet could be up and your actual plug on your truck could be sideways.

Otherwise paintinfool seems to be taking care of you.

PS... Your charging numbers are too high. Something is going on there.
I say just hook the battery back up to your TT and proud it into shore power and let the converter charge it.
The battery was connected to the trailer by the dealer when I bought it in August and working fine on my 2 trips. When I went to hook up my tv to transport my camper to the storage facility for the winter is when it was dead. I wasn't able to use my power jack to hitch up.
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #84

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You got the battery on the TT or at home on the charger? Why not plug the TT in? It will get charged and maintained. It doesn't hurt to get more educated on electrical setups.
Doing the wrong thing can destroy things but also lives and can be very costly. Batteries can explode doing the wrong thing. With charging Hydro gasses get released and all it needs is a spark. There are books available to learn more about all the accessories in the RV world. Good luck with your TT.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Lukenick.. Just checking here. When your first hooked up your battery to the trailer and found it was dead, did you put the WHITE wire to the NEGATIVE battery terminal and the BLACK wire to the POSITIVE?

Also when you are testing your 7 way plug make sure your orientation is correct. The picture on the internet could be up and your actual plug on your truck could be sideways.

Otherwise paintinfool seems to be taking care of you.

PS... Your charging numbers are too high. Something is going on there.
I say just hook the battery back up to your TT and proud it into shore power and let the converter charge it.
My camper is in storage right now until april 1st. So I cannot hook it up to shore power.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #86

yeah the battery is at house and trailer is at storage
Old 03-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
You got the battery on the TT or at home on the charger? Why not plug the TT in? It will get charged and maintained. It doesn't hurt to get more educated on electrical setups.
Doing the wrong thing can destroy things but also lives and can be very costly. Batteries can explode doing the wrong thing. With charging Hydro gasses get released and all it needs is a spark. There are books available to learn more about all the accessories in the RV world. Good luck with your TT.
The TT is at storage and my battery is here at home in the basement hooked up to the charger. See the pics I attached. If I could have just plugged the TT in here at home that would have been the easy approach but that is not an option until after april 1st. I am trying to get this thing charged before I pick up the TT so I can use my power jack.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #88

oh and aljo the numbers were an ohm meter reading and not sure they were accurate .. it was on a trickle charger so the ohm meter might not be too accurate but just using to test and see if the tv plug is supplying 12 volt to trailer
Old 03-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
oh and aljo the numbers were an ohm meter reading and not sure they were accurate .. it was on a trickle charger so the ohm meter might not be too accurate but just using to test and see if the tv plug is supplying 12 volt to trailer
I still did not get power from the batt + on the tv plug with the OHM. Maybe I should bring it back to the company who installed it and let them know its not working. They installed it for me in August when I had the brake controller installed. I am sure they will make it right. I can always hook up to shore power once TT is home and solve a lot of problems. Next year I will make sure battery is hooked up to shore power and charged before removing it. Lesson learned. I am a newbie and a woman...what can I say, lol. Thank you so much for helping me!!!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #90

no problem ... I would have them fix it and make them show you it is working and where they have it fused so if the fuse is blown you know where it is to check it next time. It is nice to have the charge on the road to keep the trailer battery up while traveling and for your trailer brakes ... let us know if and when you get it fixed. good luck and at least you know a little more about it after today I hope lol
Old 03-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #91

Now you missing Easter camping.....lol. That's the first time we always go out.

We're lucky to have the TT at home and leave it always plugged in. I just check the liquid level twice during the winter season. Good battery maintenance is important as they will be longer in service.

Most vehicles have constant power on the Batt.+ pole towards the trailer connector. Best way is to isolate the TV battery from the TT batteries as to not have a surprise. Battery isolators (from the alternator power) or a simple relays between the feed wire to your 7 prong plug will work.

It is important to have the Batt.+ prong working as you might needed for you Power Jack. Be sure the power jack is covered because none of them are really waterproof and moister can get easy in the switches.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #92

There might be a fuse blown in your TV what is easy to check. As I mentioned get one of those 7 prong trailer plug testers (they are less than 10 buckaroos) It just plugs in and you can test all the circuits. Easy to use also when being on the road.

Don't let things discourage you; we all have been newbies, the only thing I never have been a woman....lol
Old 03-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #93

Thank you!!! I still have a LOT to learn. I have made so many boo boos in the few short months I have owned it. Came from a pop up. I hook up and tow on my own with my 2 kids because my husband works a lot. Getting those weight bars on and off is the biggest challenge. I feel like the tv is going to break because i have to jack it up so high just to get the bars loose enough to get off. Oh and forget it if the ground is not level. Yikes.....I cannot even hook them up if the ground isnt level. Didn't realize it was that difficult.

I never want to have to hand crank that power lift again, that was awful. lol
Old 03-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #94

Also....is it ok if I unplug the trickle at night when we go to bed then back in when we get up? I worry about something bad happening....my son sleeps down there in the basement.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #95

yeah that is fine I would disconnect cables to it while unplugged too though ... just my pet peeve
Old 03-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #96

Do you have a garage to put the battery in to do the charging.
It vents off hydrogen gas while charging.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #97

good thought klassic I am missing the obvious lol
Old 03-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #98

By the time this is over she will be able to teach her hubby a thing or two
Old 03-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #99

yeah those WDH bars can hurt you badly if you are in the way. Always have a good grip on the handle. May be someone can cut you a 3/4" pipe a bit longer than standard, that makes the leverage easier. When it is not level or when you are not straight in-line with the TT, just tow a bit ahead so every thing is level and in-line. just make life easy for yourself. I tow for 50 years and like to do things the easy way. When I buy a RV it usual takes me a couple of weeks work to get things right the way I want it.
At least you take the challenge to go out camping with your kids, those memories they will never forget. Our youngest daughter with grandchildren still want to come along. Ah well 3 more weeks.......
Old 03-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
good thought klassic I am missing the obvious lol
I was missing it until she said her son sleeps in the basement.
I'm sure the concentration of hydrogen gas wouldn't be enough to spark a fire, but I personally wouldn't do it in the house.
I am, though, doing it right now in the garage with a pair of Trojans and I can smell the gas.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote