Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #1

Angry Sewage smell - help

Hello - this is the 3rd time I've used our brand new camper. 1st time was full hook up and second was a dump. Using it now and every time I flush there is a raw sewege smell. I have plenty of chemicals in there. Last dump I put chemicals and drove around with ice in there. I did check roof vent and oders are coming out.

I'm going to dump what little is in there and see if that helps. Before that I will dump more water in there.

What's going on?

Thanks!
mjwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwills View Post
Hello - this is the 3rd time I've used our brand new camper. 1st time was full hook up and second was a dump. Using it now and every time I flush there is a raw sewege smell. I have plenty of chemicals in there. Last dump I put chemicals and drove around with ice in there. I did check roof vent and oders are coming out.

I'm going to dump what little is in there and see if that helps. Before that I will dump more water in there.

What's going on?

Thanks!
If you have an exhaust vent fan on while flushing it may be drawing the smell in reverse, down the roof vent pipe up from the toilet. I quit buying the chemical, I buy liquid fab softener and gain laundry detergent. I use a capful of softener and half a cup of gain with no problems or smells.
James Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #3

I would also recommend you look at a different tank chemical and see if that helps. It should create a barrier over the liquid and help retard the smell.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #4

I spoke with our Dealer yesterday, as I had sewer smell on our last campout (100 deg days). He stated use a good liquid chemical and use plenty of it and 5 gallons of water in the tank; that will fix it. I use some kind of pucks that dissolves and use about 2 gallons of water.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Just emptied it and put chemicals and 5 gal of water. Still smells bad but hopefully it works!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #6

The problem is in the small vent under your sink in the bathroom. Can you believe it, they are vented inside the trailer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #7

The p trap under the sink? I will check that.

More chemicals and 5 gal water has helped. It keeps getting better.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
The problem is in the small vent under your sink in the bathroom. Can you believe it, they are vented inside the trailer.
??? I have not seen a vent inside. Mine goes up to the roof. Are you sure?

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #9

I installed a black tank rinse and I have been following the advice given by this gentleman:

Seems to work!
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
EnricoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #10

make sure your p-traps (tub, sinks etc) have water in them. the gas smell could easly come back through them if water is not present there.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #11

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ewer-Gas-smell

Problem could be from many issues. Don't discount the smells that can come from the grey water tank as well. It needs chemicals as well. Without debating what kind of chemicals, some people use pinesol to treat their greywater tank.. But the issue could be a blocked vent system or faulty vent valve found under the sinks..
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #12

Had the same problem with my 31 RKS the first few times I used it. I used the water softner and laundry detergent combination and its been fine since.
2011 Silverado Ext. Cab, 6.6 Turbo Diesel, Integrated Brake, 3.73
Reese Dual Cam hitch
KFay1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #13

x2 on the exhaust fan comment, make sure you turn the fan off for just a bit before/while flushing and it should help a bunch. I have a northern breeze exhuast fan in mine and it will suck the fumes out of my neighbors camper I think...:hihi:
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #14

I had to repair the leaking fitting on my black water flush system and also noticed were the discharge drain outlet on tank was not at the bottom side of holding tank like you would think which allows some fliuds to still remain in tank(poor design).I had good luck also installing the "cyclone" rv vent on vent pipes thru roof and have had good luck with them..Some Walmarts sell them or online
novaplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #15

Are you sure you want to find a cure ???

Go buy your self a clear plastic outlet that hooks up to your trailers dump outlet, and your sewer hose to it. (elbow or straight) Also at that same time buy a tank inserted cleaning wan that you hook up with a hose and has a shut off valve on it's handle. With a anti-back flow valve at hook up. Have some one open the water hose valve to your wan full blast out side. Leave the trailers valve closed and insert the wan into the tank paying close attention to spraying as close to the bottom as possible to began with, letting the water beat against the bottom and its parts. As the water starts to fill leave the wan near bottom to create a swirling motion in the tanks water. Run the water until you believe the tanks is 1/2 full or a little more. Shut your water off and have some one pull the release valve on the trailer and watch the color of the water as it exists threw the clear plastic. It going to have a brown color. Now if you would give it some though,,, clean tanks have no odor.

Second go around, if the chunks are still flowing ,repeat the above several times until none. NOW, as you have used the tank in your past adventures, the brown water has built a scum line up the sides of your tank, of guess what. So if you have dumped, and in you next voyages the water has not raised to this previous level. That scum line is still there. Now is the time to attack that line , use a up and down motion with that wan to clean the sides of that tank. Until the water flows clean there at your newel bought clear site gage.

Repeat brand new, OR ,,clean tanks just do stink, Poo does stink,,,, there for,,, odor = poo some where in the tank. Repeat to your self,, poo equals stink. poo=stink, poo=,,,,,.
neverenoftackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #16

We also keep the plugs in all the sink and tub drains to help prevent any odor from coming up that way.
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #17

I had that problem as well with our new TT. I solved it by after dumping, add dawn liquid detergent to two gallons of water and poor down toilet, drive home with with mixture washing inside if black tank, drain when I get home, then add chemical. Works for us real well.