Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

sewer flush issues

Regarding the black water flush system. I have hooked on a hose and run several gallons of water with the sewer valves open but very little water is coming out. Where is all the fresh water going and not draining out? Does anyone have experience with these? Am I missing something? I can find no information in my owners manual. I have a 2012 298 RDLS.
Gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #2

Are you sitting level? I had a leak on the factory back flow valve 1st time using my black tank flush, check that..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #3

Mine is self-installed, worked great all last summer. Over New Years I had a similar issue as you describe. Turns out a kink developed in the hose between the inlet and sprayer. I guess the routing I selected was fine in warm weather, when the water line is more pliable, but not so in 38* weather. I bet you have a similar issue and will require the line to be routed differently.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #4

Be certain that the grey tank(s) is closed, and only the black is opened. If you can, look down the toilet if you can see water in there. I had once inadvertently opened the grey valve thinking it was the black.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #5

nylyon is right look into the toilet you will be able to see how much black water you have it may not be as full as you think.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #6

I'm pretty sure the factory installed black tank flush is more like a sprayer. So it's not a large volume of water, because it's being compressed into a spray pattern.

The first few times I rinsed mine out, I was surprised how little water was coming out too. I expected there to be as much volume coming out the sewer outlet as would be coming out of the hose.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #7

I've noticed with mine that water seems to go in but little comes out. Then all of a sudden, things start to happen and a rush of liquid comes out. I think Camper Bob is right as to how it works.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #8

I have frequently experienced similar circumstances while attempting to drain the black tank. If the toilet has been used shortly before attempting to drain the tank, paper and solids won't have a chance to break down enough to slip through the 3" drain opening in the tank. They may plug the opening, and cause the flow to diminish to a trickle . . . or stop completely. First, always use septic safe toilet paper and a good non-formaldehyde based black tank treatment. Second, stir up the tank by frequent moderately-hard braking on the way to the dump station, or by putting your shoulder to the trailer side and "rocking" it periodically during the dumping process. Third, try quickly sliding the dump valve handle in and out several times to help clear any blockage. Fourth, after checking the tank level both through the toilet opening and at the level indicator lights, I close the valve, turn the water on to the black tank flush, and let it run for one (1) minute. Then I open the valve and rock the trailer while the water drains out. When the flow slows down (or stops again), I close the valve and let the tank flush fill the tank for 1-1/2 minutes. Then I rock the trailer again and reopen the valve. Once that water drains, I reclose the valve and allow the tank to fill for two (2) minutes. Rock the trailer and reopen the valve until the water runs clear, or slows down, but remains "stained". Repeat for 2 minutes if necessary until the flush water runs clear. Turn the water off to the flush inlet, and allow the water to drain until only a small amount of water is left in the tank. Finally, close the black tank drain valve, drain the grey water tank(s) to rinse out the drain line and hose, close the grey tank valves, check your tank level indicators, and add your black tank treatment to the toilet (per the manufacturer's recommendations).

I've found that four dump/flush cycles will do an excellent job of cleaning the tank and the sensors. If your black tank has an accumulation of hardened solids that have formed a "mound" in the bottom of the tank, portions may break off and plug the drain. Best solution for this problem is to add 1/4 cup of Dawn dish soap and a cup of laundry soda or borax to the tank (through the toilet). Using the black tank flush or a garden hose through the toilet, fill the black tank about 3/4 full, and let it set for 4 hours/overnight. Drain the tank following the instructions above. If some of the mound remains, you may have to repeat the Dawn/soda procedure. Worse case scenario: once the mound is softened by the Dawn/soda procedure, you may have to insert a garden hose with a high-pressure nozzle through the toilet and use a jet-blast of water to break up the mound. Caution: wear heavy-duty rubber gloves and safety glasses if you have to resort to this procedure!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'm pretty sure the factory installed black tank flush is more like a sprayer. So it's not a large volume of water, because it's being compressed into a spray pattern.

The first few times I rinsed mine out, I was surprised how little water was coming out too. I expected there to be as much volume coming out the sewer outlet as would be coming out of the hose.
X2 on this. I asked the very same question here a couple of years ago because I thought something was wrong. While the twirly doo-dad in the BW tank makes a bunch of noise when it sprays, the small jets aren't like a firehose. After a few minutes of running, I got a steady stream of BW coming out of the drain. One thing some people said they do is close the BW valve for a few minutes, then open and let it drain, then close a few minutes, then open again. This builds up some water in the BW tank and helps flush the solids out. Of course the instructions specifically say to NEVER close the BW valve while doing the rinse, because if you forget that it is closed, you will have some major problems once the tank gets full!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
X2 on this. I asked the very same question here a couple of years ago because I thought something was wrong. While the twirly doo-dad in the BW tank makes a bunch of noise when it sprays, the small jets aren't like a firehose. After a few minutes of running, I got a steady stream of BW coming out of the drain. One thing some people said they do is close the BW valve for a few minutes, then open and let it drain, then close a few minutes, then open again. This builds up some water in the BW tank and helps flush the solids out. Of course the instructions specifically say to NEVER close the BW valve while doing the rinse, because if you forget that it is closed, you will have some major problems once the tank gets full!
Yup, this is exactly what I do. Except I close the black tank valve for more like 3 to 5 minutes. And I do it after I've topped off the tank with the toilet and performed an initial dump.

Three caveats here: 1) I have measured how much water flows through my hose, so I know that at 5 minutes I have flowed 25 gallons with no restrictions except for the pressure regulator. And I use the timer on my watch to make sure I don't go longer than 5 minutes max (my BT is 32 gallons) 2) I'm never more than 5 feet from the valve or the spigot when I'm doing this. I want to make sure I can turn off the water or open the valve immediately if I need to. 3) Another member called Jayco and asked why the warning to leave the valve open, and the rep said it's there because of the possibility of over-filling the tank and making a mess. IMHO if you're careful, that won't happen. You can hear the change in tone from the BT flush as the water level in the tank increases. If you can't hear the water spraying on the sides of the tank, it's probably time to open the valve.

Using this method works for me (YMMV), just be absolutely sure there is NO way you can forget or otherwise get distracted while filling the tank with the flush, or dewey is right, you're going to have mess on your hands.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:16 AM   #11

It's a Jayco thing

We are on our third Jayco and we've had the same issue with all of them. We do not haul it around which makes the situation worse. It sits on a lot and we are weekend users. What we've discovered though, is if we dump the tanks every second weekend instead of every weekend, it builds enough pressure to completely dump. We haven't had the black tank leak through the hose since we started doing that. I just make sure I put extra chemical in before we close up at the end of the weekend. We've never had issues with smell either.
mlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote