Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #41

Open or Closed

A few tricks: Charge Black tank with a least 5 gal. of water and additive. Keep closed until about 3/4 full then make sure your Grey water tank is at least 1/2 full. Dump the Black tank followed by the Grey tank. That get every thing including your hose well flushed out. If you are going to drive to a Dump Station throw in a bag of ice cubes to slosh around while you get there. It helps clear off tank gunk and helps it all flush away.
mcwoods2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
What everyone else stated, also, leaving the valve open can send some very stinky sewer gas smell up into your RV.
Just wondering, how does the smell get into your camper if you keep water in your toilet?
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #43

Keep Water In Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
Just wondering, how does the smell get into your camper if you keep water in your toilet?
Smell from the tank should not get into your camper if water is kept in the toilet. It should act like a effective trap. And the fact that the water level stays up means that the rubber seal is sealing.

We always add a little water after using the toilet. The only problem we have is we have to kind-of slam to toilet valve a little to make sure it seals. I plan to replace the seal one of these days. But even when the water gradually leaks down, we still get not odor, that is, unless the tank is getting really full or someone leaves the valve open too long with the exhaust fan running.

There definitely is a skill level needed to live in an RV.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #44

HikerJohn. "We always add a little water after using the toilet. The only problem we have is we have to kind-of slam to toilet valve a little to make sure it seals. I plan to replace the seal one of these days."

I had that problem and cleaned the flap and rim it seats to, coating with a bit of petroleum jelly. That was at least two years ago and it still holds water. It's worth investing five or ten minutes.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
HikerJohn. "We always add a little water after using the toilet. The only problem we have is we have to kind-of slam to toilet valve a little to make sure it seals. I plan to replace the seal one of these days."

I had that problem and cleaned the flap and rim it seats to, coating with a bit of petroleum jelly. That was at least two years ago and it still holds water. It's worth investing five or ten minutes.
Use silicone plumbing grease as opposed to petroleum jelly. Eventually petroleum jelly will ruin the rubber.

I've used petroleum jelly in a pinch, but plumbing grease is better.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #46

I thought PJ wasn't preferred.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote