Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2022, 06:23 PM   #1

Shade needs replacing

The fabric soft shade in our 4-year old Jayco trailer has broken strings and is no longer useful. I looked at you-tube videos on re-stringing, and it didn't seem helpful. Has anyone replaced these shades before, and if so-where to shop for these? Would love to get an identical one to this broken one. I thought this shade would last longer.
Thank you in advance for your information.
like2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2camp View Post
The fabric soft shade in our 4-year old Jayco trailer has broken strings and is no longer useful. I looked at you-tube videos on re-stringing, and it didn't seem helpful. Has anyone replaced these shades before, and if so-where to shop for these? Would love to get an identical one to this broken one. I thought this shade would last longer.
Thank you in advance for your information.
If they are the typical pleated style and the shade material itself is still good (it should be if 5 years old), restringing them is easy. Two of the strings in our 4-year-old Jayco frayed and one broke and they are better than new after using the United Shade First Aid kit. The instructions are excellent — better than the You Tube videos I watched. Here’s a link (they have different colors): https://www.amazon.com/United-Shade-...4189311&sr=8-5

One tip: Go to a craft store and buy a pack of upholstery needles that are about 6 inches long. Makes it easy to thread through the pleated shade holes. Be patient, the hardest one is the first one; after that it’s very easy.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:46 PM   #3
Site Team

I actually have one to do on mine also. I almost forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

I'll see if I can find the link, but I bought thread on amazon that matched mine perfectly and had enough in the pack to probably do all of our shades at least twice.

On Edit: Here is the one that I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:55 PM   #4

Here’s the needles DW found. You can thread through the entire shade (compressed) in seconds. They came from Joanne’s.
Attached Thumbnails
3434D7D7-EDE4-41F6-8594-D8E5FAC88B46.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Here’s the needles DW found. You can thread through the entire shade (compressed) in seconds. They came from Joanne’s.
I like that Idea. Thanks for putting that up. Maybe I'll send my wife to pick some of those up for me before I restring ours.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I like that Idea. Thanks for putting that up. Maybe I'll send my wife to pick some of those up for me before I restring ours.
Sure! I think I used the next-to-largest one to make sure it would fit through the holes. No problem. It took longer to go buy them than to thread all 8 holes!
Old 08-06-2022, 09:16 PM   #7

In an effort to prevent such problems; we use the plastic reflective mat (aluminum foil colored) material. We cut it to size and place it between the window glass and the vertically pleated shade material. This helps cool the interior summer temperatures and prevents sun rot on the shade strings when the unit is not in use. TT is 8 years old...so far no broken shade strings.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
In an effort to prevent such problems; we use the plastic reflective mat (aluminum foil colored) material. We cut it to size and place it between the window glass and the vertically pleated shade material. This helps cool the interior summer temperatures and prevents sun rot on the shade strings when the unit is not in use. TT is 8 years old...so far no broken shade strings.
We also use the Reflectix in the windows when not traveling. I’m sure it helps, but they fray over time just from up and down use and we’ve used ours a lot in four years!
Old 08-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #9

Shade needs replacing

Thank you for your great information and helpfullinks. I'm hopeful we can savable the shade that is still in good shape!
like2camp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken window shade, window shade replacement