Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #1

Shopping for Jayco X23b

Hey guys, love the forum. We are looking at the X23b...what can I expect from dealer? What can I negotiate for? We will be first time buyers and I don't want to get taken advantage of. Is there wiggle room on the price like a car purchase? We have a Ford Expedition 2001. We are getting it tow ready, should I be able to have them cover cost of weight distribution hitch? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sumerbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #2

If it stickers for lets say...$24,999.00 prolly get for $16,000.00....You should get lots of answers but WAY more wiggle room than a car..Mark up is crazy !!! Good luck and Enjoy
Tekonsha Primus IQ
satchmo1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #3

What state are ya in ??
Tekonsha Primus IQ
satchmo1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #4

Taking your time is critical. I do not recall what we paid or ours any more but it was somewhere in the range of $16K, which included the WDH (equalizer brand). If they are not willing to wiggle that low try having them throw in a bunch of accessories at no cost. Diffidently have them add about 5 sets of keys, as there are three keys required to use the HTT. The door uses one key; the bunk ends a different key and the cargo hold yet another key.

Be willing to get up and let the dealer know you do not like the price and show intentions of leaving without it. I have had good luck with that approach even with cars.

One tip, don’t just buy any WHD. You want a good one, with integrated sway control. I like Equalizer and Reese Dual Cam, but there are other good ones out there.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

From a previous post I recall you are in California, right.

30% off MSRP is a good target, although personally I came in closer to 25% which included hitch, battery, propane.

For us MSRP was $22,000 + $2500 delivery + 800 Prep= $25,300. I promptly told them they can remove the $800 and we will start negotiating from there. With a Centerline hitch, hitch setup, full propane and 1 Grp 24 battery we settled at $18,250. Right at 25% if I don't value the hitch, battery & propane.

Maybe I could have done better, but my time was worth more to me then grinding all day to get another $500-$700 off. From what I see posted on these forums, it appears either in CA we pay a much higher delivery charge then states loser to Indiana and that has a real effect on actual price paid or there are some real effective negotiators out there.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

A good sanity check is getting an online quote from RV Direct. They seem to be just about the most competitive priced for Jayco out there. Problem is the closest location the CA is Iowa, so local dealers aren't apt to price match, but the quote will provide a basis to start negotitations if you use RV Direct's number and then add what it would cost you to get to Iowa for delivery.

As a newby to RV you need to be aware every dealership of a specific manufacturer isn't obligated to provide warranty service the way car dealerships are. When buying your TT, spend as much time researching dealerships as you do the TT and manufacturer. A good dealership can go a long in your satisfaction.

Lastly, and although you didnt ask I throw out, I think extended warranties are a bad purchase. The major headache with RVs are leaks and extended warranties don't cover for them. Any mechanical and/or structural issues should show themselves during the 24 month factory warranty.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #7

We used RV Direct get a quote on our new Eagle. We were planning on purchasing from them and using the time to visit my family in MN after we would pick it up. We calculated the gas mileage from AZ to IA and back so we knew what we wanted to spend. Then we talked to the dealer and showed our quote from RV Direct. After he picked up his jaw he ended up coming within $200 of the quote + gas calculation. We felt that was more than fair. Also have your financing preapproved so you can really talk numbers. We got a rate quote from Good Sam prior to our purchase. It has one of the best rates.

We have 2 Jayco dealers nearby. The first one was just way too overpriced and would not budge on the price and the dealer we dealt with before worked with us again. Being prepared is more than half the battle. Hope this helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #8

I used the RVDirect price also when purchasing our White Hawk. I presented the quote to the dealer, told him that I was definitely going to buy the camper, and asked what he could do. He was $900 more. I figured that was close enough to save the time, miles, and costs associated with picking it up. We ended up with just shy of 29% off MSRP. BTW, this was done with one phone call and two e-mails. We drove to the dealer to place order and put down the deposit, and it took a few days less than six weeks for the unit to be built and delivered. I don't have the time to be negotiating in the showroom once I know what I want.
mrp116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #9

Thanks for all the input guys!
Sumerbrez is offline   Reply With Quote