Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Delaware
Posts: 107
Shopping...opinions please

After a 20 year absence from travel trailer camping, we purchased a Jay Flight 26BH in 2013.

We love the trailer and only had minor issues with the workmanship which were easily fixed.

The only problem is the trailer doesn't suit our lifestyle,,,,Grandkids are getting older and no-one wants to tag along anymore.

We have been looking at trading up to either a White Hawk 27DSRL or a Jay Flight 27RLS.

Could anyone offer any opinions on the White Hawk Vs the Jay Flight. I know the Jay flight is about 600lbs heavier and the White Hawk is considerably more expensive (about 5k)

As always, I'd appreciate any help, guidance or opinions....Getting ready to hit the RV show circuit....and would like to hear the truth before I go..LOL
__________________

Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 222
Unless your tow vehicle can't handle the Jay Flight, I wouldn't get the White Hawk. Don't get me wrong, the White Hawks are nice trailers, but there are reports of soft floors because they use a laminated construction on them. I think the Jay Flights are built tougher and will last longer...that is why they weigh more. In the White Hawk line, you are paying more to get lighter construction...not better construction. If your tow vehicle can't handle the extra weight, then the White Hawk is a great choice and would probably make you very happy. I don't think I would buy a new tow vehicle just to get a Jay Flight over a White Hawk. Hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
2015 Jay Flight 26 BHS Elite with 320 watts of Solar from AM Solar
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Delaware
Posts: 107
Thanks for responding, hadn't heard that about the White Hawk.
Really like the Jay Flight and the $$ makes it even more attractive.

Tow vehicle is fine.....Chevy 2500HD....(gas)
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
... snip ... We have been looking at trading up to either a White Hawk 27DSRL or a Jay Flight 27RLS.

Could anyone offer any opinions on the White Hawk Vs the Jay Flight. I know the Jay flight is about 600lbs heavier and the White Hawk is considerably more expensive (about 5k)

As always, I'd appreciate any help, guidance or opinions....Getting ready to hit the RV show circuit....and would like to hear the truth before I go..LOL
"The truth! You can't handle..." no, wait that was something else.

We, too, were in a similar quandary over the same two units. We made an offer on a used White Hawk 27DSRL that was, thankfully, refused! Looking for another 27DSRL, we found the Jay Flight 27RLS... and KNEW THAT WAS THE ONE!

We got more of what we wanted with the Jay Flight:

1. We wanted natural interior light (wife is an artist) and the Jay Flight has windows at both ends of the slide plus a kitchen skylight as part of an option package.
2. We wanted a pantry and some drawers in the kitchen.
3. We wanted a wardrobe area (or something similar) somewhere in the unit in addition to the tiny things on either side of the bed.
4. We wanted a shelf/opening at the head of the bed; not a solid wall when our head was turned toward the outside of the bed.
5. We plan to boondock, so the ability to carry twice as much water was a big plus for the Jay Flight.

It's funny. We made a list probably a year ago of 'What We Wanted' in a trailer and 'lost' it on my PC. After we bought the 27RLS, I was cleaning some old files and found that list... essentially it is the list above!
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Delaware
Posts: 107
Thanks oldman;
We really like the Jay Flight. The 26BH is not the best configuration for us....we just knew it would be full of grandkids. I think the bunks were used twice. Like you, we have two dogs...labs and they need floor space which is a premium in the 26BH. They get the couch. Not a problem, except on rainy days.

The only issue with the 27rls is finding one on the east cost. I've searched within 250 miles of here and I think they're are 5.
If I have an issue with Jayco as a company it's not making these dealers service their product....no matter where you buy it.

Thanks for you help.....looks like 27rls is it. Now if it'll just warm a little so I can get this one cleaned up
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
... snip ...The only issue with the 27rls is finding one on the east cost. I've searched within 250 miles of here and I think they're are 5.

If I have an issue with Jayco as a company it's not making these dealers service their product....no matter where you buy it.

Thanks for you help.....looks like 27rls is it. Now if it'll just warm a little so I can get this one cleaned up
The 27RLS are 2015 models. We didn't find one near here (Arizona) either. We ordered a new one from a company near the factory in Middlebury. I'll be making ~3,600mi round trip when it's built to get it and bring it home.

Your comment about Jayco service: I hadn't seen anything like that in this forum. Have you had a problem with a Jayco dealer not servicing a unit because that dealer didn't sell it?

I had a similar problem with the temperature here. I had a number of things on the 'To Do' list that DW moved to the 'DO It Today' list because the weather warmed up... Looking forward to the day when working on my trailer is on one of those lists.
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Delaware
Posts: 107
Absolutely!!! we were negotiating with a dealer.....their price was pretty high. I had been talking RV Direct I told the salesman RV Direct's price and he said "Oh Yeah...who are you going to get to service it? I asked him if they would refuse to do warranty he work and he said....."We won't refuse to do the work, but you'll go at the back of the line....one of our customers comes in...you go to the back of the line again"

They ended up bringing the price in line.
The irony is..I had an issue with the entrance door....made two trips to their dealership (about 65 miles each way)...and they still didn't fix it.

Sounds like a great trip to pick up the trailer!!! I would do that....

Regarding the temperature...it's a balmy 10 degrees here in Delaware.

Thanks again for your help
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
... snip.. "Oh Yeah...who are you going to get to service it? I asked him if they would refuse to do warranty he work and he said....."We won't refuse to do the work, but you'll go at the back of the line....one of our customers comes in...you go to the back of the line again"


I'm really at a loss for words except:
1) I hope mine won't need any warranty repairs
or
2) If warranty repairs are needed, I hope I find a dealer with a different policy.

Boy, oh, boy. Now I wish just one of the salesmen I talked with had been competent. Maybe I would have bought local.
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Summerville
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrueckh View Post
Unless your tow vehicle can't handle the Jay Flight, I wouldn't get the White Hawk. Don't get me wrong, the White Hawks are nice trailers, but there are reports of soft floors because they use a laminated construction on them. I think the Jay Flights are built tougher and will last longer...that is why they weigh more. In the White Hawk line, you are paying more to get lighter construction...not better construction. If your tow vehicle can't handle the extra weight, then the White Hawk is a great choice and would probably make you very happy. I don't think I would buy a new tow vehicle just to get a Jay Flight over a White Hawk. Hope this helps.
We just traded our 264BH Jayflight Swift for a Whitehawk and the 1st time we used it we noticed the soft floors and found little things wrong with the camper that we didn't have with the 264BH. So, The initial assessment is that the Jayflight was better made. Our TV was our lmiting factor so the WH was the way for us to go for us.
__________________
2013 Ford F-250 Power Stroke 4X4
2014 Jayco Whitehawk 27RBOK
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NY Southern Tier
Posts: 105
I haven't noticed any softness in our Whitehawk floors, but then my wife and I only weigh 275# together. The Whitehawk floors are 5/8" plywood, the same as the Flight. The flight floor is supported on 6 2x3's while the Whitehawk is supported on 4 aluminum joists. I would think that the vacuum bonded Whitehawk floor construction would be at least as stiff as the Flight using the same thickness plywood.
__________________

__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.0L 4.10
2015 Jayco White Hawk 24RKS
RVer-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.