Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #21

We usually hook up the evening before we leave on a trip. The rig is connected to the pedestal all this time so I don't hook up the TV electrical. I dangle the power cord from the rig over the side of the TV in plain sight so I make sure I see it the next morning and hook it up before we depart, after I unhook the power cord from the pedestal. Just don't want to take any chances on my TV's electrical system over night!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #22

From a little research it seems that Dodge and GM generally make the 12VDC pin hot all the time while most everybody else has it hot only when the ignition switch is on. It looks like Ford made the change to switched hot in 1994.

Your truck may be different. Only way to know for sure is the measure it with the key on and the key off.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #23

While it probably won't harm anything, my choice is to ALWAYS disconnect from the tow vehicle before connecting to shore power.

Then again, I won't leave jumper cables connected after the second engine is started, nor leave the battery charger on any longer than needed either.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #24

Alternator / Converter protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
My standard set-up/tear-down routine is thus:
set up
- level trailer side/side, unhitch/park truck
- level fore/aft (electric jack), extend slide
- hook up shore power/water

tear down.
- retract slide
- hitch up / plug in truck
- disconnect shore services

I guess this goes back to my dry-camping days when the trailer battery was pretty much dead by the end of the trip, the slide and tongue jack would be too much of a draw and I needed a running truck to get enough juice.
Tim
after discussions with my EE friend, I am going to rethink my teardown method to ensure that I don't plug in my (idling) truck while shore power is still connected. I will either disconnect power, or turn off the truck before I connect the truck to the trailer.

Since neither the truck's alternator, nor the trailer's converter have reverse power protection, I don't want them connected together. The truck's alternator can charge the trailer battery OR the trailer converter can charge the truck's battery.

Tim,
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
...snip

This thread also has me thinking about what's actually happening at my truck plug when I'm plugged into shore power. Guess I'll have to put a meter on and find out.

...snip
So I finally got a chance to check. With my trailer plugged into shore power, my 7 pin is getting ~13.6V. Disconnect from shore power and it measures 13.0V. I'm betting that 13.6 is the same voltage my converter is putting out to charge my battery. I didn't think to check the battery posts until after I put my tools away.

Anyway, so that means the trailer is potentially putting voltage into the TV when it is plugged into shore power. I would think there would be an isolator in the 12V aux trailer wiring on the truck though. That would suck to have your trailer drain your truck battery. Or your truck drain your trailer battery.

I will say that I've had my trailer connected to shore power, and my idling truck, as well as my truck off and never noticed ill effects. I always leave the trailer plugged into shore power as long as possible to minimize drain on the battery. Perhaps better not to chance it though. Maybe I'll start unplugging the shore power before I connect the 7 pin all the time...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #26

I always unplug, even if leaving the trailer attached to the TV, like an overnight. Also, I get my "shore power" from the "Pedestal."
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I always unplug, even if leaving the trailer attached to the TV, like an overnight.
X2
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #28

I've never unplugged or given it a second thought. I've also never had any kind of a problem. Just curious as to what kind of problem it might cause and if anyone has ever experienced a problem?
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #29

My Jayco BKS26 is hooked up to shore power only, in fact the battery went bad and was removed. All systems seem to be working. I'm I doing any harm to anything (maybe the converter) by not having a battery installed. I understand that I will not have any backup power should I lose shore power.

Thanks
GKofTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKofTX View Post
My Jayco BKS26 is hooked up to shore power only, in fact the battery went bad and was removed. All systems seem to be working. I'm I doing any harm to anything (maybe the converter) by not having a battery installed. I understand that I will not have any backup power should I lose shore power.

Thanks
If you tow your trailer around and it is not permanently set up in a CG, you need your battery. While towing, should your TT become unhitched, the battery supplies power to the TT's electric brakes and stops the TT. It is illegal to tow a trailer that has electric brakes with out a battery. It is not safe either.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #31

Thanks Don.

Good reminder not to two without the battery.
GKofTX is offline   Reply With Quote