Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

shore power wired to 240

well I found out why my converter was not working this winter. just got trailer back from the dealer. they replaced the converter and the microwave under warranty thank god! but when I got it home something didn't seem right to me so I tested the 30 amp power that I had a electrician install and it said there was a problem called him he said his guy wired it for 240 its fixed now but I did plug it in when I got the trailer home. how would I know if the converter is working? also the fridge only works on gas will not work on the 120 volt lights flashing error code?
dustyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Your "electrician" has caused who know what damage. Likely all electronics are toast.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrose View Post
well I found out why my converter was not working this winter. just got trailer back from the dealer. they replaced the converter and the microwave under warranty thank god! but when I got it home something didn't seem right to me so I tested the 30 amp power that I had a electrician install and it said there was a problem called him he said his guy wired it for 240 its fixed now but I did plug it in when I got the trailer home. how would I know if the converter is working? also the fridge only works on gas will not work on the 120 volt lights flashing error code?
I would see what insurance company your electrician uses. If he wired the proper receptacle, which he must of or the unit would not plug in, then he didn't bother reading the instructions, which stated VERY clearly that it is a 120 volt 30 amp receptacle. He did not use the ground he must of wired the hot to one leg, the neutral to another leg and the ground to the neutral. This would blow most of the electronics that were connected.

You can not mistake the plug for a 240 receptacle as the plug layout is different, this is why they make them that way.

Sorry for your issue, you may want to also think about an EMS Electrical Management System either hard wired or portable. You plug that into the pedestal receptacle and it will tell you if it is wired correctly. It also will disconnect your power if an under/over voltage is detected, a surge, wrong plurality or open neutral.

Good Luck..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #4

240 volts

OUCH!!! I hope your electrician was licensed and has good insurance. Your fridge working on gas only is probably just the tip of the iceberg. Check ALL electrical devices as most if not all were fried by the 240V. I'd also be contacting your electrician after you find out all the damage and filing a claim with them.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #5

Have you checked your breaker box? It should of tripped the main breaker, perhaps not before the damage was done, but within moments.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Have you checked your breaker box? It should of tripped the main breaker, perhaps not before the damage was done, but within moments.
I'm not an electrician but would the breakers flip with excess voltage rather than an excess amperage? I don't know myself but just wondered if his breaker system would have been much use in protecting him from excess voltage. I'm going to look into one of those EMS units mentioned above. I didn't know they existed (some limited proof of my limited electrical background).

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
I'm not an electrician but would the breakers flip with excess voltage rather than an excess amperage? I don't know myself but just wondered if his breaker system would have been much use in protecting him from excess voltage. I'm going to look into one of those EMS units mentioned above. I didn't know they existed (some limited proof of my limited electrical background).
Yes it would of shorted out since there were two hots and no neutral into your rig. Same as if you took two hot wires and touched them together, it would short out and pop the breaker.

I would also look into a water pressure regulator. Campgrounds are notorious for bad water pressure (too high) and poorly regulated power. When it's hot and everyone comes back to camp at 5 they fiip the AC on and the voltage will drop.. which CAN cause issues with AC etc.. and EMS will protect against all these potential issues with electric. A water regulator will protect against high (last year ours was 140 psi) water pressure. They are pushing water up mountains and hence have the pressure pumped way up.

Those are the first two things I would look into and be concerned about.

Good Luck.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #8

very think is working heat ac microwave tv radio mini fridge in out door kitchen area all the lights work just having issue with the fridge inside won't run on the 120 volt only the gas
and how do I know if the converter is working or not? the electrician said to send him the bill for any damages im not concerned about that I just want to get anything that needs to be replaced done asap as we booked our first trip in early may
dustyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #9

Can't remember if the fridge control board has a fuse on the a/c side or not, might check that.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #10

Wiring shore power with 220V instead of 120V should resulted in an instant short, when plugging in the trailer. One of the two legs of 120V would have applied power to the neutral input on the trailer. Anything on when this happened may be done, however items not turned are only going to see 120V backfeed on the neutral leg which may not do any damage. The heating element on the fridge would most certainly fry if it was in the on position.

You might get lucky on this one, but lesson learned, hire a better qualified electrician.