Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #21

Waggs, I don't know the reasoning behind the ticket but my a co-worker received one for his hitch a few years ago. Maybe it's one of those ordinances that generates revenue for cities and gives their over-bearing police something to do. A quick Google search I did found Michigan and Illinois tried to make it a state law prohibiting a hitch being left on a vehicle when not towing but it looks like both bills failed. Reasons behind the bills included obstructing the vehicle's license plate and causing disproportionate damage in the event of an accident.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
Waggs, I don't know the reasoning behind the ticket but my a co-worker received one for his hitch a few years ago. Maybe it's one of those ordinances that generates revenue for cities and gives their over-bearing police something to do. A quick Google search I did found Michigan and Illinois tried to make it a state law prohibiting a hitch being left on a vehicle when not towing but it looks like both bills failed. Reasons behind the bills included obstructing the vehicle's license plate and causing disproportionate damage in the event of an accident.
Talk about big brother... so the poor guy that tows a work trailer during the day, better not get caught leaving his hitch on I guess. I wish I had gone on to be an attorney (when I was young and stupid I thought that was a good career.) I would love to argue this in court. But your honor, he dropped the trailer off 15 minutes ago... As insane as Illinois is (use to live there ) I'm shocked they didn't pass this, they could earn a few more $$ to waste..

Do they feel the same way with a brush catcher on the front of your vehicle ? In an accident it causes undue damage to the car you ran into ? I can see it now, your honor yes I ran into the back of his vehicle, but, it didn't cause enough damage to his vehicle cause his hitch went through my radiator... I got more damage than he did.. duh.

Politicians...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
The reason is quite simple. if someone was to rear end you in a car accident it will cause some serious damage. Vehicles are design to crash with bumpers not 50-80lb hitches sticking out 12-16"s. I was behind a truck waiting to pull into a gas station once and he decide to back up to go around the car in front of him. Well he had an enormous hitch attached to his truck that penetrated my front causing over 5K in damage. If he didn't have the hitch on it would of been a simple bump into my bumper. He was amazed at how much damaged it caused and since it was his work/business truck he paid me directly so it didn't hit his insurance.

Not quite the same but many years ago semi truck used to not have those lowered bumpers that they have now. Due to so many senseless deaths of cars going up under the rear of the truck caused them to make this change. Although this is different but I'm sure they are trying to avoid a high impact collision into a persons hitch. That the only reason I can think of...? I believe this is a law in most states just not enforced unless you have a happy go lucky cop.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #24

If you’ve never accidentally walked into a hitch on the back of a truck and you daily drive a truck that always has a hitch, then you sir are amazing lol. I’ve worked construction my whole life and every guy at the job site has at one time or another bashed a shin on a hitch. It’s a feeling you’ll never ever forget or want to repeat. It seems the black hitch at that height easily gets lost in your periphery especially when distracted by someone or something. I also have more than one vehicle capable of towing my trailer and it’s nice to know I can use any one at anytime. Hitch stays with trailer....
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
O my old truck the hitch also fooled the backup sensors so that it alarmed because there was something there
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
O my old truck the hitch also fooled the backup sensors so that it alarmed because there was something there

My current F-150 picks up my equalizer shank assembly in the backup camera/sensors and if we are going to leave the campground I remove it and put it in the bed of my truck under a locked tonneau cover. I do use a ball cover to keep grease off anything in the back of my truck that may come in contact with the ball.
Psucivil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #27

I've been know to cable lock it to the camper and leave it on the ground.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #28

I asked a state trooper friend here about this "law". He said he never heard of it.. and if someone runs into the backend of me, I really don't care what damage he does to his vehicle. I've traveled in about half the states with this truck and never had an issue. I walk in the evening and made it a point to look at trucks we pass. Out of 6 trucks only one did not have a hitch and ball attached... perhaps I live in a neighborhood of radical law breakers

Old 05-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psucivil13 View Post
My current F-150 picks up my equalizer shank assembly in the backup camera/sensors and if we are going to leave the campground I remove it and put it in the bed of my truck under a locked tonneau cover. I do use a ball cover to keep grease off anything in the back of my truck that may come in contact with the ball.

That’s what I did but was giving another example of why you might not want to leave the hitch connected. Sorry if not clear
Old 05-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #30

short term storage for heavy WDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I've been know to cable lock it to the camper and leave it on the ground.

I have done this too. Nervous though because it is only bicycle lock so it is small
Old 05-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
I have done this too. Nervous though because it is only bicycle lock so it is small
Takes some big brass ones to attempt a theft in a crowded CG. But, it's happened.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Call me stupid, but what is wrong with just leaving it hooked to your truck? I have a locking pin securing it, never had an issue.
If you've ever walked into a hitch in the dark, removing it when not in use becomes a no brainer. Save yourself a shin, or a knee. No one ever regretted removing and storing their hitch, but plenty of people regret not doing so.....
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #33

I have a Hensley and just let everything stay attached.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:35 PM   #34

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone just left the WDH attached to the trailer's hitch coupler?

Sometimes we'd release tension on the bars, adjust the tongue jack to release the up/down tension on the receiver, remove the receiver pin lock, and pull forward leaving the WDH dangling from the trailer's hitch coupler. Saved us the hassle of moving it from the truck to the trailer's hitch coupler. Granted, this won't work for everyone, but it worked for us with our previous bumper-pull rig. With the WDH locked to the trailer's hitch coupler it's not going anywhere.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eagle View Post
If you've ever walked into a hitch in the dark, removing it when not in use becomes a no brainer. Save yourself a shin, or a knee. No one ever regretted removing and storing their hitch, but plenty of people regret not doing so.....
I've had trucks most of my adult life, always with a hitch and have never taken it off, and have never busted a shin either...also never caught a finger in a door either...lucky I guess.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #36

Mine stays locked in the receiver of the truck and it's a 15'' long Reese Titan 2.5'' shank. Never have run into it but sometimes I forget to put the cut in half diet pepsi can over the ball and I get grease on my shorts.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote