Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #1

short term storage for heavy WDH

When you are at the CG, where do you store your WHD parts? I have been storing my bars and trunnion head in my forward storage compartment but recently upgraded to a 2.5" drop shank. The new shank and trunnion head weigh a metric ton so I may ditch storing it in the compartment to avoid damaging anything taking it in and out. I've thought about just leaving it under the TT but has anyone had their WDH stolen from a CG?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Your correct on the "heavy" part, but I still stow my 2 1/2" WDH just inside my pass-thru storage door. My trunnion bars and misc hitch stuff I set in a low profile plastic tub (ref pic) next to the WDH.

I find it easier once I remove the WDH from the TV receiver to place it directly in the pass-thru (no bending over). I also installed rubber (foam material) matting in my pass thru protecting the area. The WDH sits in the open space shown in the pic.

As far as theft, I haven't heard of a WDH disappearing but have heard about a pair of spring bars walking off during the night at a state park. I like the idea of knowing I'll be able to "hitch up" when breaking camp.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

We also store our hitch in the compartment of the trailer.
Our truck was nearly stolen recently while we were on vacation. Truck thefts and break-ins are very common, but I understand trailer burglary is not a huge problem, in spite of the flimsy locks that would seem to invite thieves.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #4

I added a 2” receiver to the back bumper of the trailer. Now when we get unhooked, or it’s parked at home, I put the hitch in the receiver at the rear of trailer. It’s locked in place with a locking pin. Now it’s always with the trailer, it’s out of sight and out of mind until needed. I’m sure a thief could steal it if they tried hard enough but at that point if he’s that determined he could also break into my trailer. I use a hitch handler and it makes it easy to pull off the truck one handed, and walk around the TT and slide it into the bumper receiver. No more bending over or leaning into storage doors. I keep the WDH bars in a bag in the front storage pass through.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #5

I hung my bars on the tounge. I put hooks towards where the A frame is attached to the trailer frame. My hitch was a 2 1/2 inch shank and heavy. I took a furniture roller cart and screwed a heavy duty tote to it. I then put the hitch in it and roll it under the trailer behind the steps. I used the cart to roll the hitch in and out of the garage when at home and carried it in the back of the truck. I’ve never locked them and never had a problem with theft.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #6

Mine has (4) receivers , one in each corner from factory and keep mine short term in the front one.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #7

Call me stupid, but what is wrong with just leaving it hooked to your truck? I have a locking pin securing it, never had an issue.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #8

I store mine in this... it locks the WDH hitch in place on the tongue of the trailer and that secured the bars in place.

EzStorHitch - Securely Store Your Weight Distribution Hitch System, Reclaim Your Storage Space! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FMFN3FQ?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
paggy00271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #9

Most of time at camp, I too leave it in the tv receiver. I always cover the ball with a solo cup, to keep ot am others clean of grease. If I take the hitch off, I place ot along side the tt tongue. Thw bars are place across the tongue behind the propane tanks.

I have never heard others are my issues of theft.

At home, it sits on an appliance dolly, with the bars. I roll it under the rear bumper.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #10

While new to this WDH style of RV'g, I'm planning on leaving the main hitch head attached to the TV, and will put the sway bars in the front pass thru. I had some 2" pvc pipe with caps laying around, so the bars will be stored in the pvc pipe to keep things a bit cleaner.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Call me stupid, but what is wrong with just leaving it hooked to your truck? I have a locking pin securing it, never had an issue.
I use my truck for many other things. A big ole hitch hanging off the back for me to walk around and smash my shins on is no good. The first time I or my kids gets grease on us then it’s everywhere. So for me, putting it away when not in use works best.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Some cities will give you a ticket for leaving your hitch on your truck without a trailer attached. The city of Prairie Village, KS will in fact give you a ticket for that.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #13

I have traveled all across the country and have never heard of a city giving you a ticket if you don't take a hitch off, that just sounds stupid to me. I'm not doubting its true but I can't imagine what the issue is.. I also use my Truck for other purposes and have never hit the hitch while loading or unloading. I have never taken it off in fact, installed it once and left it. I don't cover the ball, but I do always wipe the ball and receiver for bars and re-grease before each trip. Guess I need to add one more thing to worry about .....but I doubt I will. I would love to hear the reasoning behind a law forcing you to take your hitch off when not towing.... do they give you a day ? Or do you have to immediately remove the hitch.... how about trucks who tow most days, do they have to remove them at night ? Sorry but that sounds like a city that has way too much time on their hands and a stupid council person that walked into one at some point. Are their other cities that have a law like this ?

Old 05-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #14

I would say if the truck gets stolen then you are still able to move the trailer without the hassle of getting a new hitch.

Quote:
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #15

If the truck get stolen, moving my trailer is probably not high on my list of things to worry about. I would think the real hassle would be getting a new truck, not the hitch.. guess I've been lucky.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #16

How would the campground address that? Let's say you're camped, but cannot move your trailer because your truck has been stolen?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
How would the campground address that? Let's say you're camped, but cannot move your trailer because your truck has been stolen?
I pay for another night.. id have a new truck the next day. How would they address it if all I had was a hitch....no truck? Is there really any difference ? And it has happened at campground where I worked.. they wrecked their truck.. didn't want to stay in the trailer, so we had someone else (with the owners permission) tow it to an area where it could be stored..

Old 05-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #18

Would they haul it off somewhere if you couldn't move it by the time your reservation was up?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Quote:

In my case I use my TV to put my boat in the water and need a different hitch setup
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Would they haul it off somewhere if you couldn't move it by the time your reservation was up?
With permission yes. Almost every campground has the means to tow a TT or 5er. They would only tow it to a place on the campground where it is not taking up a space. Having to move and RV happens more often than people would realize. We would never move an RV without the owners permission, tho we did once because of a death in the RV. A guy who was alone died. He was suppose to leave that day and when we went to check on him it was discovered. After the police got done with the unit, and with the police's permission we moved it off the site to a storage area on premises.

I Understand removing your ball/hitch if you need to use the vehicle with a different hitch set up... but if your staying a week ( or 4 to 6 months in my case) why would you remove the hitch? I would think putting the hitch under the TT would actually assist someone wanting to steal the RV. Most trucks have a common size receiver, so you toss in the hitch, hook up and away you go.

There are arguments on both sides I guess, but it never crossed my mind to remove the hitch. I've not walked into it, if I did I don't consciously remember it. But to each your own...

It's not something I am going to worry about either way.. JMHO>