Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #1

short-term winterize

I'm on a work assignment in southern Utah for several months. I'm leaving my Jayco 20RL here for a month, unoccupied. My understanding is that temps in Dec/Jan in this area can get down to <32 on a daily basis but average somewhere in the 40s.

Should I go through the winterize process for the period that I'm gone or will draining, shutting off & unhooking the water from my trailer be sufficient? Also, I can rent a 100 gallon propane tank for $1/mo and have it hooked up to the trailer. That will allow me to keep the heat going on low while I'm away for the month...would that be some help?

I'm not really looking for an excuse not to winterize but just don't know if it's necessary given the circumstances. Thanks for your input.
dlbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #2

If it were me, I'd partially winterize it by blowing the water out of the lines, draining the hot water heater, opening all low point drains and then putting some anti-freeze in each drain to protect the traps.

I wouldn't want to leave the furnace running unattended for a month. I also wouldn't want to rely on having enough propane. What happens if you run out of propane?

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
I wouldn't want to leave the furnace running unattended for a month. I also wouldn't want to rely on having enough propane. What happens if you run out of propane?

-Michael
I admit to being new to this ...it's my my first travel trailer..that's why I asked. But currently, I'm using propane at a much slower rate than 100 gal/mo...I'm refilling a 25 gal tank every other week. And, in my absence, I'd keep the temp set pretty low, like 60ish. Now, if there's a safety issue, that's another matter. Your comment seems to indicate that you believe there may be...? I do appreciate your input.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #4

It costs $6 for 2 gallons of antifreeze and takes less than 30 minutes to do.
How much does propane cost?
What is your plan if you run out of propane?

Don't reinvent the wheel...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
If it were me, I'd partially winterize it by blowing the water out of the lines, draining the hot water heater, opening all low point drains and then putting some anti-freeze in each drain to protect the traps.

-Michael

This is how I always winterize.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #6

OK thanks
Old 12-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #7

Welcome to RVing in cold climes. Just best to winterize completely. It only takes a few minutes after a few times. Do the outside shower if it has one.
I would not leave the furnace on but would totally shut down. If you have Shore power you may choose to leave a refrigerator on. If you don't have shore power, disconnect the battery or use your battery disconnect switch. Don't know how experienced you are, so you may know all of this.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote