Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #1

Should have bought 32BHDS

We bought the Jayco JayFlight 28BHBE last June. We love it, but I wish we have got the kid are in the back. At the time we were having trouble finding bunks big enought for our 14 year old and 1/2 ton towable. Now we have a 3/4 ton truck and I am getting tired of pulling out the couch every trip for one of our boys. We have three growing boys (14, 11, 8) and often end of with extra since we travel a lot for baseball. As I mentioned before, we love our trailer, but would love the kid area with the flip out beds on the bottom. Are we nuts to consider upgrading already or would be lose too much. We like the 32BHDS and 32TSB. We also would be giving up our spacious shower with doors.
tmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #2

Sometimes there are a lot of "should of" "wish we would have" when it comes to automobiles and RV's. Are you nuts to consider an upgrade so soon? Maybe, maybe not. That is something you have to figure out.

I know, not much help. Look at it this way. You upgraded your TV and that is all well and good. Consider long term though. Your TV should last a good long time now. I would assume you will have it a few years. Same with the RV (if you don't upgrade). Your 14 year old is going to be 18 in a few years, and more than likely, there will come times when he doesn't want to camp with mom and dad, but rather with his friends. That could be sooner than you think. Baseball, is only a season and that too will end before the life of the trailer. So, its a bit of a pain to pull out the couch every trip. Remember, its a trailer, its mobile, its not a home. Its a temporary thing.
So what happens if you upgrade now? In a couple of years you may be wishing you had stayed with your spacious shower with doors.
I guess I am lucky, I have the big bunks but my boys would rather set up the tent every time we go out so my bunks are hardly used.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclaren View Post
We bought the Jayco JayFlight 28BHBE last June. We love it, but I wish we have got the kid are in the back. At the time we were having trouble finding bunks big enought for our 14 year old and 1/2 ton towable. Now we have a 3/4 ton truck and I am getting tired of pulling out the couch every trip for one of our boys. We have three growing boys (14, 11, 8) and often end of with extra since we travel a lot for baseball. As I mentioned before, we love our trailer, but would love the kid area with the flip out beds on the bottom. Are we nuts to consider upgrading already or would be lose too much. We like the 32BHDS and 32TSB. We also would be giving up our spacious shower with doors.
We went thru a similar debate. I was exceptionally ignorant to payload issues when we bought, so I thought our F150SCREW Maxtow would be fine with a 32bhds or 32IBTS at the time without being over any of the manufacturer weights on the axles with a loaded bed, long story short I learned the hard way about payload issues and also have a 3/4 ton now. We have a 29BHDS instead of your 28BHBE but they are similar I believe.

We ultimately decided we wanted to not be limited where we could camp (national parks, older county parks, etc). And the length of the 32BHDS or IBTS being over 35 feet deterred us a little, so there is some food for thought perhaps.

Honestly after a year of use would a separate bunk area be nice, yes, but we don't spend that much time in the trailer we found. We also like the large bathroom as you mentioned and I would hate to lose that. I will admit, we have slept more than 4 but always double up young kids in the "queen" bunks. I can imagine regularly converting the couch or dinette would he a pain.

NVGun40 Brings up a fair point, whats your 5-10 year camping outlook and which trailer fits that best for both location and number of campers.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #4

We actually need the 32 now beings we went back into full timing after thinking we were out of it. From 2012 until now we went from class A Tiffin, class C, 40' fifth wheel, then present rig. Prior to that there were 4 more from 2003 until 2012. We no longer have the funds to swap rigs like that anymore, but if you do, go for what works for you. I have 3 young ones now, so one is in a play pen by the tv at the time. We're cramped no doubt, but still a "close" happy family.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #5

Not crazy at all. We bought our first camper thinking we might not use it much. A new 2014 264BH. Loved it and camping so sold it after two years and ordered a 2017 28BHBE. Decided on the 28BHBE because I didn't want anything longer and we wanted a bumper pull so we can take the golf cart in the bed of the truck.

Well now the we have gone on a few trips I'm thinking a little longer bumper pull would be no big deal. I really like our 28BHBE but not sure how long we'll keep it... Almost bought a 29QBS and would consider the swap....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:51 PM   #6

All depends on where you sit on your camper. Did you get into it right or are you upside down? That being said, either way, do what is right for you. We bought our 2016 284BHBE with grand thoughts of bringing multiple family members camping with us. 2 trips with a couple extra folks and we already miss our privacy. Our kids are old enough that they are considering their own equipment so we are considering a smaller trailer next year, something big enough for us and our granddaughter. I dislike the headache of finding sites to accommodate this bigger trailer.
270wsmhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:56 AM   #7

There's an old saying - "you should buy your second trailer first", lol. You're going through the same dilema many of us have gone through. My advice is that if you can afford it, go for it. You may as well be comfortable when you go out or the trips aren't nearly as much fun.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
There's an old saying - "you should buy your LAST trailer first", lol. You're going through the same dilema many of us have gone through. My advice is that if you can afford it, go for it. You may as well be comfortable when you go out or the trips aren't nearly as much fun.
Fixed!!! Lol

Sometimes it may take 3-4 models before one finds the right one.

Go shopping with the mindset you don't NEED the 32 BHDS. If you are happy with the bottom line after all is said and done, go for it!!!!

As mentioned, a lot depends on where you are with the current rig.

Be aware that you will probably need a new wdh, or at least higher rated bars depending on your current model. Our 920# dry tw is ~1400# loaded. We have 1500# bars. I do need to reweigh our set up to get exact weights gain after a couple more mods, and adding a few things (our boys and their stuff weren't with us when I did weigh). But I guessing loaded we are 9200#.

Good luck deciding!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:32 AM   #9

We made the same mistake with our first trailer. We did get one with a bunk room, but it only had two bunks. At the time, our kids were 6, 2, and 2. We just figured the twins would share the bottom bunk. A couple trips in, and we realized that was not realistic. So 8 months later we traded it in, and of course lost a good amount on it. But the new trailer with the "real" bunkhouse made a world of difference for us. So to us it was worth it.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:41 AM   #10

We bought a 33bhbs 2 years ago, and are now looking to downsize. One daughter starting her Junior year in highschool the other is going into her freshmen year. We already no the older one will probably camp 1 time next year, because she will have a summer job. The youngest is about a year away from that. 4 more years and we will be empty nesters. Man time flys.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #11

We made this same expensive mistake. Settled on trailer that was 1/2 ton towable, then 9 months later bought a 3/4 ton, so of course we then sold the first trailer and bought the one we wanted.

We off set some of the loss by selling private party and spend the necessary time to find the trailer we actually wanted as a private party used purchase.

We are a family of 5 a very happy with our 29QBH.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:29 AM   #12

Someone told me once that if you have to justify a need for every large purchase, you'll never have any fun in life.
Camping is all about relaxing and having fun. If you can increase either by trading then....well you see my point !!
campingn.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #13

Personally I say go for it. I'm on my third trailer in 2 years (x17z, x23F and now a 26BHSW). Very happy with our current one and it should be our forever trailer (or so i tell my wife).
Old 07-28-2016, 08:29 PM   #14

If you have no trouble with your current trailer stay with it :-) Buying those thing is like throwing the dice you never know what you will get ....

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:48 AM   #15

I think it comes down more to your financial situation. If you broke the bank to buy this one it would surely be a foolish to trade it before you have any equity in it. You also have to weigh the difference between needs and wants, and do you want it bad enough.
My vote would be to keep what you have for a few seasons unless you have the cash laying around to just buy another trailer without it hurting you.

We just bought a 32bhds elite with fiberglass sides and 50amp. We knew we wanted one of the larger trailers and many of the features that the jayflight offers for some time. I researched for 3 years before we ordered this one.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote